Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My opposition to Guilliman being painted a traitor has lead me to this thread. There seems to be a real hope that the big RG can be shown as being a bad guy, so, in the hope of hijacking the zietgeist, I thought we could look at this this way:

For the Warhammer 40K 'verse to be the way it is now, and for nothing to be changed with any of the fluff, how could Guilliman have turned on everything he stood for and took everything to himself?
The only rule is that everything that happened in the fluff must still happen. The High Lords and the Primarchs must still see him as loyal. The worlds of Ultramar must still be well run and almost Utopian, as will the worlds he helped to conquer during the Great Crusade.
This is very much a 'what if?' scenario to see if we can make it happen without breaking the backstory. I'm not aiming at a total re-work of the Heresy with RG at its head; Horus is still the main man and ran the show.

So, to get the ball rolling:
Guilliman is given control of the shattered Imperium by the remnants of the War Council volountarily, he doesn't seize control. For some reason he is sympathetic to Horus or to the thought of the Imperium failing; knowing that even though he has a huge Legion he wouldn't be able to do the job himself, he deliberately slows down the Imperial Army and Navy, insisting that they take longer than needed to re-arm and set themselves up for going on the offensive- he's a logisitical genius, who's going to argue? In this way, and without arousing any suspicion, he allows the bulk of the traitors to escape to the EoT, thus setting the Imperium up for a continous cycle of warfare.
He may also have sent punitive missions to engage the Eldar, to make sure that they do not side with Humanity to eradicate the Chaos threat.

So, there you are. Can we make him a bad guy whilst still being seen as the saviour of the whole thing?

GFP

·
Super Moderator
10,976 Posts
Interesting... maybe he had some help from the higher ups on the terran council.

I have to say this intrigues me, but it just seems so unlikely. I`ll play with the idea for a bit, see what else I can come up with.

·
Registered
437 Posts
He takes the Emperor's ideas for the Space Marine Legions, says "hmm I know the Emperor was wise but now he's not here I'll throw out all his ideas and start my own under the guise of making sure no-one has too much power".

He cripples the Imperium by cutting the balls off the remaining Imperial Space Marines and instead of presenting a united front and reinforcing the remaining Legions through the tried and tested methods which brought the Legions up to strength to begin with, split the commands up and throw the Marines piecemeal around the galaxy where they're bled white.

Instead of replacing the Traitor Legions with New Legions created from Loyalist Geneseed he splits the remaining Legions into weak pitiful chapters which the Chaos Legions do nothing but scorn.

He takes the weak Imperial Army, splits it even further into the even weaker Imperial Navy and Imperial Guard. This basically removes any way of continuing any sort of grand crusade as only the Space Marines are powerful enough to do that. (As an example look at the Sabbat Worlds Crusade. How long would a Space Marine Legion take to clear that area when compared to how long and how many million Imperial Guard lives are lost retaking it.)

His critical weakening of the Imperial Forces results in them not capturing virtually any more areas of space in the following 10000 years, than were captured in the 200 years of the great crusade. They are almost permanently on the defensive (apart from some extremely costly so called crusades which cost billions of lives and achieve very little) as they sit and wait for the Aliens and Chaos to devour them.

These are my thoughts on why he could be argued as a traitor to the Emperor's vision of his Imperium and the way the Emperor ran it when it worked properly. It could be argued his changes doomed the Imperium to a slow painful death.

*Hides behind his PC desk and waits......

1 - 3 of 3 Posts