Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Craw-Daddy
4,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all know that the Legions of the World Eaters, Emperor's Children, and Death Guard went through a giant purging. Though I just wanted to see how you guys thought the other legions dealt with the loyal parts of their legions. Perhaps they didn't. We know that as a legion, the Thousand Sons were forced as a whole to become traitors and join Tzteentch. What of the Legions of Perturabo, Night Haunter, and Alpharius?

·
The Emperor Protects
5,262 Posts
I'm fairly sure the Alpha Legion wouldn't have done any purging either. Iron Warriors all seemed pretty much like a legion of dicks tbf, though ther may have been exceptions of course. Word Bearers i guess we will find out in The First Heretic, although i got the feeling the main marine in the short story about the word bearers in tales of heresy might have been such a marine. Night Lords again were all pretty psychotic so they might not have needed too much convincing either.

On another note about the Thousand Sons, ther may have been others like Mhotep scattered across the galaxy who were not present, but then they probably would still be attacked. Same goes for the other Emperors Children, Death Guard, Sons of Horus and World Eaters not present at Istvaan

·
Craw-Daddy
4,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do believe a certain difference on how the legions fell. I believe that legions like the Emperor's Children, Death Guard, Sons of Horus, and World Eaters had a feud because their primarchs joined chaos due to the choices they made and wanted.

Legions like the Night Lords who were basically excommunicated as a whole after Night Haunter's. The Word Bearers may have gone through a purging perhaps, but as a whole their legion was shunned by the emperor. We can only imagine that the effects of Perturabo's genocide on Olympia effected the entirety of the legion.

Anyhow, thats some of the ideas I have conjured.

·
Craw-Daddy
4,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its hard to make assumptions on the Alpha Legion. Legion did an interesting thing when introducing the Cabal. Though whether that was the ultimate reason why they joined Horus, I seriously doubt. I find it hard to believe that Alpharius would believe a bunch of aliens that his race probably spent most of time trying to destroy. Anyhow, as Dan Abnett put it, it would be a shame if nothing more was written about the Alpha Legion.

·
The Emperor Protects
5,262 Posts
Well looking at it actually its a funny thing with the Alpha Legion. They all are one ''I am Alpharius'' etc and act accordingly, however they are also all independent, with free thinking and different points of view encouraged by the Primarchs. I still think they all ultimately would have followed Alpharius and Omegon but it's not entirely impossible for me to believe some may have had a difference of opinion

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
Word Bearers i guess we will find out in The First Heretic
The Word Bearers may have gone through a purging perhaps, but as a whole their legion was shunned by the emperor.
The Word Bearers purged all Terran Astartes from their Legion many years prior to the Heresy, so says Dark Creed. It was known as the second purge of the Brotherhood.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/The_Brotherhood

Although unfortunately this won't feature in The First Heretic, due to The First Heretic already having been planned and accepted before Dark Creed was released.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
I was unaware the word bearers fell so early.

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
I was unaware the word bearers fell so early.
They fell a fairly long time prior to the Heresy. Its unclear exactly when at the moment, but I reckon at least a couple decades. The First Heretic will probably elaborate upon this.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Aye, I believe their may have been an example of this in a short story in Tales of Heresy. I may have to look again for the specifics. But one of the captains of the Word Bearers kind of freaked out when he found out they were indeed fighting against an Emperor loyal population.
Upon revelation wasn't he shortly killed after? Or did he turn?

It's too bad about that civilization, they were fairly advanced and used sound to a deadly degree with differences from the current Slannesh troops.

·
Registered
198 Posts
While the Alpha Legion worked together, there were some that went renegade. Whether this was to try and use chaos against humanity to ultimately destroy Chaos itself, or they were selfish i dont know. There is at least 1-2 chronicled Daemon Princes from the alpha Legion.

·
The Emperor Protects
5,262 Posts
Aye, but theres traitors in every chapter(less grey knights) adding to the fact that the vast majority if not all fluff about the alpha legion to date has come before Legion was released. Be interesting to see what, if anything GW do with the Alpha Legion fluff in present 40k from now on.

One of annoying things i thought about Dawn of War was using the Alpha Legion, not for their chaos affliation or anything, just that they acted nothing like the Alpha Legion. The devs clearly just picked a random chaos legion to use as the bad guys

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I suppose that when we find the time that the Emperor chastised Lorgar, we'll find out when the WBs fell; although it sounds like the religion that Lorgar stamped out on Colchis (although after having been a member of it, at least until his visions of the Emperor started) was a chaos-centered one.
With the NLs, wasn't basically the whole Legion made up of killers and psychos? I'm unsure of how this would work, however. We know that to make a Marine, you need to take a young person, aged roughly 8-9. This would be too early for them to be these feared killers, although they might have been brought up in some sort of ultra-violent gang culture that messed them up. They could, of course, have taken mainly older men and put them through the same process that Luther went through, becoming psuedo-Astartes. If this latter was the case, wouldn't this mean that the Night Lords were 'weaker' physically and mentally than those who had undergone the whole, full, Astartes process? Sorry, didn't mean to drift off-topic!
Purging the NLs wouldn't have been a big issue as each of them was out for himself, not what the Emperor wanted; the AL, seemingly, don't think they are going renegade, so I don't see them seeing a need to purge their ranks; the IWs, after the decades of being dissed (in thier eyes) as a Legion would probably have a real 'Us vs Them' attitude, Perturabo would seem to be the only one who cared for them and so I feel that they would have all followed him, gradually giving in to the need for revenge.
All that being said, however, I could be very wrong!

GFP

·
Registered
310 Posts
On another note about the Thousand Sons, ther may have been others like Mhotep scattered across the galaxy who were not present, but then they probably would still be attacked. Same goes for the other Emperors Children, Death Guard, Sons of Horus and World Eaters not present at Istvaan
Sorry to deviate from the thread but i think is possible that one of these "absent" thousand son marines could be the "unknown patriarch" of the Blood Ravens chapter, in "A Thousand Sons" one of the sects (I cant recall their real name) had a raven as it's symbol, also the Thousand Son's pre-heresy primary colour was red.

Sorry again about the thread-hijack.

·
Registered
703 Posts
The problem now is, after Guilliman supposedly killed Alpharius, its hard to say weather or not the Alpha Legion of the 41st Millenium is anything like the one that the Primarch led against the Emperor.

For them to have Daemon Princes would suggest that at least some of the legion has truly been taken into Chaos. You also have to remember that, to the best of my knowledge, Alpha Legion is highly broken up (I believe more so than any other legion), for the High Lords of Terra declared them Exterminated three seperate times, and each time they return just as strong and just a powerful.

In my optimistic opinion -- I feel the Alpha Legion is still trying to fight against Chaos on all fronts, using Chaos against itself. If I remember correctly the Word Bearers seem to have a deep hatred for them, and thus this may imply that Erebus and Kor Phaeron know that Alpha is not truly Chaotic.

In my honest opinion -- they probably succumb to the whims of Chaos like all the legions (even the Night Lords, who don't care for Chaos, have fallen), and that they haven't the slightest idea why they continue to use the same chant 'For the Emperor'.

One book or short story I would love to see is about the World Eaters -- its all fine and dandly to say that Angron is an undeveloped savage, unworthy of a book to himself, which ultimately is true. Angron probably didn't need much convincing to betray his father and worship the Blood God. Although why and how Kharn and his fellow captains fell would be a truly awesome book. In Galaxy in Flames, Kharn seems normal just prior to the Betrayal, and when Loken finds him again hes a blood-crazed killer.

·
Craw-Daddy
4,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
CotE has honored my thread by putting it in his 40k FAQ Thread. Because it doesn't have as much information I'm just putting some more bits of information that seem that have been introduced.

For those who have read the latest extracts of Age of Darkness, it seems that perhaps some of the legions that did not seem like they went through their purging did.

The Iron Warriors for example, seem to be fighting amongst each other on the planet of Olympia. I thought this was interesting due to the fact as a whole, their legion became bitter through their "baby-sitting." So at least before the abstract it looked like the entire legion accepted their fall from the grace from the Emperor.

Its curious as perhaps other legions similarly may have had to purge their legions too. A few so far that I still have trouble going through a purging is the Word Bearers and Night Lords. The Night Lords more, because it is explained in Dark Creed as CotE previously stated that the Word Bearers did in fact purge the Terra born Astartes from the ranks. Also the Alpha Legion doesn't seem like a legion that would have purged from their ranks. But then again. We don't know for sure.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts