Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately, there's been a steady influx of new players here, which is awesome. I'm the only one of my buddies who doesn't work at the game store these days, and they're in and out of the store, which is in a seperate room from the gaming room. They still get to play, but they're not there consistently, which has lead to me becoming the instructor for all things 40k.

Now, apart from the obvious running through of the Battle for Macragge, I'm not quite sure where to begin. I've never really had to teach new players the game before, although I suppose having been in the hobby for eight years, I'm a reasonable candidate for the job. I don't want to move too fast, because I don't want to scare anyone off by making the game sound too complex, and I'm worried that things that seem simple to me (albeit after eight years of hardcore 40k-ing) might start to lead down that road.

So after that long shpiel, this is really addressed to anyone who's ever taught a large (and by large, we're talking twelve new players with full armies ready to go-- they're not just "interested parties" at this point) group how to play the game... any ideas for how to proceed?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Get those reference sheets printed out so they can have a read of them.

you can move 6", shoot, then charge 6" and just get them into it and playing

doesnt matter if they dont play it right 1st or even 5th time

Then i find its easier just to explain different rules as they come up in the game. sure someone might get a bit upset that the orks they were shooting at now have a 4+ cover save that they didnt know they could have but hey live and learn and after they have played a few games any little worries about how "I should have killed a heap of orks a few games ago if it wasnt for cover save's" kinda thing will be gone.

but yes once again i find those reference sheets amazing for starting players. much smaller then putting the rule book down in front of someone.

Hope this helps

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's not a bad idea-- thanks. I'll have to make some photocopies out of the rulebook. Might not be bad to photocopy the summary sheets out of the back of the codecies, either... as a matter of habit, I keep all the current ones on my bookshelf. Sun Tzu said know your foe, after all... and if nothing else, the codecies are good reads in and of themselves.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
when i teach new players at my school club i tell them the basics move 6 shoot stuff about rapid fire charge 6 and then let them gomplay against eachother and tell them any questions even a small one ask me.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Another tip is if you are teaching players that know NOTHING about the game start with just a 20 point game kinda thing with no cover etc then move up to like 80 point then 500 point etc etc etc

·
The Traveler
2,559 Posts
I used to teach folks joining the Black Legion how to play (as we were a newbie club at the time...now we're all old and beardy.)

Basically, I threw them all into a tournament and saw which one survived the longest. I threw in opinions and the occasional freaky rule to trip them up (All units are Slow and Purposeful. Any units that rolls a 1 is teleported D6 inches in a random direction). Not exactly orthodox, but I knew it worked when my very young Padawan ripped the guts out my SM army.

-Dirge

·
Registered
51 Posts
I always found it easiest to start with simple rules and add things in as they learn, ie small missions (500-1000 pt) with basics, then lead into other stuff, waiting on ordnance, pinning and special rules like infiltration and deepstriking until after they understand leadership, under half strength units and all alone tests, etc... (and mention these rules if they never happen so it doesn't come up as a surprise to them when it does, I play ig, so all alone seldomly happens) Doesn't hurt to suggest stuff like each reading the rulebook and buying it if they can afford it, etc... (so not to try and sound like you are forcing stuff on them like that)

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
That's not a bad idea-- thanks. I'll have to make some photocopies out of the rulebook. Might not be bad to photocopy the summary sheets out of the back of the codecies, either...
dont do this, it is illegal.

what you can do on the other hand is...

right, basically, i contend with this problem on a weekly basis. Every sunday we have our beginners day where we introduce kids to the hobby basically from scratch. Prior to this most of them have only ever had an intro game, which has little to do with rules and all to do with fun.

So how to introduce them to this complex and fun hobby? We give them a training file... relatively recently GW supplied us with these Training Files. Each beginner is given one and it is divided into 3 sections, each section builds the complexity of the game and their army. The first Section literally says:

Troops
Troops
HQ+Troops
HQ+Troops

each has a box next to it that we tick when they play these simple games. So on this sunday they play (with their or our models) a game with an HQ and a troops choice from their chosen army against one of the other kids under our guidance.

The idea is that they play these small games on subsequent sundays under our guidance, and move on to the second section, which introduces fast attack and heavy support choices. at this point they should own their own codex.

Each section has tick boxes for their painting, thus they build their army and understanding at a bearable rate.

Baby steps basically...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hehe teach them like I got taught. Hand them 2000pts of Tyranids make them play 2 games against Black Templars, and Blood Angels.

Then take them to a rogue trader tournament, and hand them 1500pts of Blood Ravens and say have fun. lol

My tactics were pretty basic. Deploy in a nice line then shoot, shoot, and shoot, oh and shoot. Bigs guns at big things little guns at little things.
I walked away with 1 massacre (I creamed some chaos), 1 minor loss against an Ork horde, and 1 draw against Daemonhunters.

It probably helped that I'm 27 years old and had read the rulebook, and skimmed a couple of codex's.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Torealis, do you know if any independent retailers do your kind of beginner games? Sounds like a good way to get to know the game, which I need to :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
dont do this, it is illegal.
Its not illegal is it?? They have all those reference sheets on most GW websites free to download.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts