Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.
I'm currently building a list for a tounrament and need some advice on the HQs. Currently it's a hybrid list, Found here, And I was just wondering on what best to lead the army with. I have 150pts to spare and currently I have a plain Reclusiarch leading it, mainly for his increased combat potential, , honour of the vhapter and liturgies of blood, as well as the 4++ save he gets. that gives me 20pts to spend on upgrades for other units. He rides in the crusader of my army with the terminatros which is my main unit. that is surrounded by the other units then.

Thing is A lot of peopel have mentioned a librarain epostilary as a HQ. MAinly because he has unleash rage which is better than liturgies of blood, and can take a second power which can help my army too. Something like shield to take care of the units surrounding the crusader. blood boil, lance, smite any power can help really. the only problem is he does not have an inv. save and is inferior to the reclusiarch in combat ability. plus unleash rage can fail a psychic test so don't have it.

Basically Just trying to find which wil be better and I hope you guys and gals will help me out. Thanks :)

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
I guess it comes down to how important reliability is to you. If the idea of taking chances and having Unleash Rage fail is a a really big deal to you, then go with the Reclusiarch. If you're more of a gambling type and don't feel the need for the Reclusiarch's additional defensive abilities (namely his additional Wound and Invulnerable save), go with the Librarian. Also, keep in mind that the Librarian gives you a measure of defense against psychic abilities but that he's just as vulnerable to having his powers canceled out.

There's no right or wrong answer in this case I don't think. I'd say playtest a bit with both characters, consider the armies you're most likely to go up against in a tournament in your area and make you decision based on that.

Good luck.

Katie D

·
Registered
89 Posts
A libby in TDA with Storm Shield (not epistolary) will be cheaper than your Reclusiarch and will be about as survivable against power weaps (3++ making up for the lost wound). Unleash Rage is good, but that squad should me killing most of what it touches anyways. In any event I'd say the Shield of Sanguinius is a must for this list (you only get to smoke once hehe) and you don't need Epistolary for that one because you're casting it on your opponent's turn.

For the other power you can stick with Unleash Rage, but I am thinking the Sanguine Sword is a better deal. Gonna come in handy when fighting Nob Bikers (with a Warboss), Dreadnoughts, Thunderwolf Cavalry, etc.

The other good thing is that if you go with the TDA/SS Libby you save 15 points, which you absolutely must spend on giving the Crusader Extra Armour. A Land Raider that isn't moving is one that isn't doing its job. It would be nice if you could scrap up some more points to get more melta going in your assault squads but I digress...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey all.
I'm currently building a list for a tounrament and need some advice on the HQs. Currently it's a hybrid list, Found here, And I was just wondering on what best to lead the army with. I have 150pts to spare and currently I have a plain Reclusiarch leading it, mainly for his increased combat potential, , honour of the vhapter and liturgies of blood, as well as the 4++ save he gets. that gives me 20pts to spend on upgrades for other units. He rides in the crusader of my army with the terminatros which is my main unit. that is surrounded by the other units then.

Thing is A lot of peopel have mentioned a librarain epostilary as a HQ. MAinly because he has unleash rage which is better than liturgies of blood, and can take a second power which can help my army too. Something like shield to take care of the units surrounding the crusader. blood boil, lance, smite any power can help really. the only problem is he does not have an inv. save and is inferior to the reclusiarch in combat ability. plus unleash rage can fail a psychic test so don't have it.

Basically Just trying to find which wil be better and I hope you guys and gals will help me out. Thanks :)

Librarian in Terminator Armor with Storm Shield + Unleash Rage + Sanguine Sword = 145 pts

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@refyougee: Check my second list in the thread I did everything you said already hehehe. At work Today I was actually thinking the exact same thing about the librarian. If he had unleash rage and shield he wouldn't need to use both in the one turn so it'd be grand to make him a standard librarian. Also the terminator armour and storm shield makes him 145pts so 15 more than the reclusiarch. He'd be around the same level of survivability as the reclusiarch then too... I might go with that. Just to have solid defense against psykers.

Thanks for the insight everyone :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts