Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm just curious if all/most tournaments have special rules for each game. I went to one recently and each match had a different random rule and it was incredibly irritating.

I went in playing Daemons, running Fateweaver, a Tzeentch Herald, 3 DPs, 18 Fiends, and some Plaguebearers. I was really confident in how I'd do until I started reading the special rules for each match.

The first match made it so that deep striking units could NOT land on target, they would always scatter and nothing could stop it (i.e. Icons were worthless). This was really difficult against the IG that I was against as I couldn't land in cover with any confidence and Fateweaver mishapped and died. I tied the game with a lot of luck.

The second match's special rule was just as bad for me. All models were reduced to one wound. . . Almost every model in my army had at least 2 wounds. Again, I tied again against an IG because Fateweaver made some ridiculous saves.

Luckily the last game was actually in my favor. The whole game was using night fighting rules and all models had a +1 cover save so I tabled my enemy.

I'm pretty much just venting but it is ungodly frustrating to know that I more or less had no chance of winning this tournament and I wanted to know if others are similar.

·
Eastern Potent
2,654 Posts
Well I have been to some where they implement special rules, but in all honesty man, be happy you did that well. Tournaments are NOT daemon friendly.

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
You're not the only one that has to deal with "fun" rules like this in tournaments.

Tournament organizers don't seem to understand that throwing in their cute little special rules throws the balance of the game off. That's all well and good for casual, strictly-for-fun games but when you're actively trying to compete (oftentimes for some sort of prize) it's important to not dick with people's chances. This is doubly true when the tournament organizer is charging some sort of entrance fee.

If I were in your shoes, I would have played through the tournament and then made a point to never attend another one in the same area unless I knew ahead of time that no wonky "fun" bullshit was going on.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Yeah that's not cool at all. Way back in the Rogue Trader days they had a set of optional rules for creating your own units with a breakdown of how the points were calculated from the profile. As I recall, the most expensive items were Wounds and Attacks.

Those rules no longer exist, but it was an insight into how the base point value of a model is computed.

So given that any troop type's base point value is impacted in a disproportionally large way by messing with the number of Wounds on the profile, playing a game where all units can only have one Wound essentially means you're playing at a points handicap if you have significantly more models with multiple Wounds than your opponent.

It would be like randomly picking players to go in with a points handicap for that round. Would anybody stand for it? I think not.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
They pulled crap like this at the tournaments I went to at Gencon back in '09. 1 scenario for each tournament was so badly balanced that one side pretty much won automatically as determined by who was attacked or defender.

The first which I lost was where the defender's units got 3+ cover saves as long as they didn't move and the attacker's entire army got 'without number' from the tyranid codex where any destroyed units got to come back from their table edge next turn. Well, my Orks who need to move to be effective with grotsnik who forces them to move were the defenders against a chaos army of khorne berzerkers in a land raider and a rhino who wouldn't care even if I had a cover save. I tabled my opponent and then lost the game because his whole army respawned and raced across the table again. Tabling your opponent and losing the game shouldn't be things that ever happen in the same game. (Scoring for this was based off kill points, he scored for units he managed to kill and I scored for units he didn't kill but nothing for killing him.)

The second tournament I won the roll to decide who got to auto-win. Basically one model in one person's army was the heretic with a bunch of psychic powers that you didn't have to roll to use and some upgraded stats and the other person was trying to kill that model and got 'without number' like in the last tourney. The thing is, one of the powers you could use was a deep-strike. So I designated my Nob in my slugga mob as the heretic and attached grotsnik to them so he had 34 ablative feel no pain wounds jumping around the board every turn. My Necron opponent did his best to whittle them down with his destroyers (throwing said destroyers into CC when I had whittled them down to just a few models so he could respawn the unit) but the game was pretty much mine from when the roll to decide who got to be who was made. I did win best general this tournament since I didn't get stuck on the losing end of an unfair scenario.

I don't play in tournaments run by that group anymore. A different group ran a much better tournament this year where their scenarios had interesting objectives or scoring systems and whatnot, but not the wholesale unbalanced rules that some tourney organizers pull out of their butts.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
i have to admit that some thigns like that do happen tho tankfuly not to me (yet). I had heard a few "ghost stories" here and there however with 1 special rule prevented any modals from deing in reseve.....it was Infantry Guard Vs Chaos Daemons......ya that so bad that it ended in the Guard victory as he could deploy a single modal or get a single modal on the table. the guard player even would have lost half his army as he would ahve ran out of room.
Now that was just being crappy.

·
Registered
494 Posts
@ Doelago: As always...

But yeah, The rules kinda seemed to neuter your army bad. I, however, have never had the unfortunate business of playing with special rules like that.

Well just look on the bright side, you pulled two! not one but TWO! draws when the odds were against you and won the thrid. I must say that is rather impressive.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I have only had one encounter with such, and everyone agrees on my complaints (at least so it seems, from the vocal majority. And we all know about local majorities >_> )

It was decided that at least one mission would have night fight the entire game, if the TO rolled a 6.

It came up, on a mission with kill points and spearhead deployment. My CSM versus his Nids. I had searchlights, he didn't capitalize on me lighting my own rhino up.

3 kill points to 0. A Jeansstealer squad, a hive guard, a tyrant that went in for a mad dash to reclaim some kill points.

As for the OP's rules tampering... By the four Gods of Chaos, man. You can't call stuff like that a tournament. Maybe a 'fun for the family get-together' but not a tournament.

How could anyone even concieve something as those rules tampering to be healthy for a competetive enviroment? Was he some Necron player that didn't want to deal with thunderwolf or bloodcrusher allocating shenanigans? Seriously?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea, the guy that made the rules wasn't even present actually so there wasn't anyone in good authority to make a lot of the judgments. Two extra little tidbits about the tourney:

In the first game (with the deep striking hindrance) my IG enemy had demon hunters so his punisher tanks were shooting me when I deepstruck too close :(

The last game had an additional special rule but it didn't affect my game. All laser based weapons became flame template weapons (The fog was super duper thick and dispersed them). So Lass cannons (I think) were a Str 9 AP 2 flamer. One of the guys in the top 2 had entirely infantry based guard and got dominated ridiculously fast.

Either way, a competitive tourney should not be so random imo.

·
Registered
592 Posts
A competetive tournament shouldn't be altered, rules wise, at all from the standard game of 40k in my opinion.

And what defines laser based weaponry? Do all the guardsmen now have flamers, and don't have to roll for hit? Holy mother of Slaanesh, won't someone think of the Orks!

Now, I can understand some people trying to 'balance' the game for everyone (they would be wrong, however), because that at least shows effort to make it nicer for everyone.

But just simply changing the rules like that? Such as completely over-riding the deep strike rule? Preposterous.

Immagine the multiple lascannon hits a Vendetta could get on a list of many trukks or battlewagons. KFF? Pfft, Flamers ignore that shit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts