Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

Havn't really posted too much on here as of the last year or two. I've decided to go for a themed army for the doubles tournament coming up in August. I was split between several choices. The reason why I was going for this new project was because my last Doubles tournament me and my cousin came top in our store, 6th overall out of 59. The Unremarkables was our team name so it made us giggle when they called us up on stage. :laugh: And so it has inspired both me and my cousin to try out a completely new army for the tourny.

1st: Deamons --> Full Khorne
2nd: Pre-Heresy-Ish Thousand Sons (Grey knights) Inspired from the fellow who is also on Heresy-online!
3rd: Soul Drinkers (looked into all marine dex's including Chaos)
4th: Dark Eldar
5th: Battlesuit tau
6th: Normal Thousand Sons

The end result was me going into town and buying my 600pts force straight for my 2nd choice, which includes a Dreadknight, 2x5 GK squads and a Brotherhood Champion, with Thousand Sons conversion packs.

Already built up one unit of 5, my Champion and also half of my Dreadknight.

The Dreadknight will need either a Tau Battlesuit Shas'O body and Head or a Venerable Dreadnaught Front Body piece and head to be finished, not too sure which though yet as I will be running it as though it was apart of the Mechanicus legion so full automated and not ridden by some pimp GK. Obviously will also need to fill in some holes, start on their bases and tidy them up a bit if it is needed.

I did buy the champion but decided to use one of the sorcerers instead and done some minor conversion as the champion seemed a bit lack luster and a pain in the ass to convert the head piece due to the head and body are molded as one item.

What I'll be doing in this log is showing how I progress with Airbrushing as I have recently bought a airbrush/compressor kit. Even though the compressor already seized after trying it out for 20 ish mins.. :angry: Trying out colours to get the Pre-Heresy red look, maybe some NMM and obviously (main reason for airbrush kit!) OSL, These will be practiced on my 50 odd Termies for my Deathwing, Chaos stuff and proberly Eldar for blending, layering and highlighting techniques. This is just to get it to a very nice standard without spending 8 hours painting one guys leg, which I have done previously... It's a very nice leg... :laugh: :wink:

I'll post some pictures up later on, just would like to know some opinions on which item I should buy to convert the Dreadknight. Venerable Dread or Shas'O. Also depends on the size I need for the body. Was leaning more towards the Shas'O due to the head piece, I think it will really give it the automated look.

Regards.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's what I started with, after I started on my Dreadknight anyway.

First unit

Deamon Hammer close up

Normal close up

Psycannon close up

Justicar close up

Halberd user close up

This is where i am stuck between the front body piece of either the Shas'O or Venerable Dread for an automation look.

and the sorcerer [brotherhood champion]

·
Registered
802 Posts
Interesting concept, could we get a front view of the brotherhood champ/sorcerer?

Will be following closely

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ofc will try and grab a quick picture when I get home from work lol, 12 hour shifts woooo -_-' bare in mind I need to fill the holes in the armor on the chests of the normals, and arm/hand joints. Will do more progress on Tuesday, next block of 3 days off :)

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will get the pic of the sorcerer tonight as well as the other 5man squad I'm just finishing off :)

The Deamon head the guy is holding is pinned, I'll be either cutting it off or shaving it down for/to a skull, then I'll be hopefully(if it dosn't look too bad) add like a flayed/melt(ed)ing flesh to the underside of the head, basically showing the raw power of the psychic ammunition of the Thousand Sons.

I was also debating on making a small display base for the army and to play around with the bases a little bit, not too sure atm and hopefully on my week off next week, get some practice colours up, still havn't got the compressor sorted but it dosn't mean I can't try out a couple of methods, these will only be brief methods and won't be done properly and with patience as they will be scrap models for testing.

Cheers :)

·
Registered
802 Posts
I have access to a laser cutter at my sixth form - If you get a concept for a display base I would be more than happy to help! Pleased you've noticed the gaps that need filling - liquid green stuff is most definatly needed.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I have access to a laser cutter at my sixth form - If you get a concept for a display base I would be more than happy to help! Pleased you've noticed the gaps that need filling - liquid green stuff is most definatly needed.
Aye.

Well the process I use for building my armies, well when I want them to look half decent at least, is to De-mould most of the crap, see how it will look with bluetack, Glue together with superglue(means if it needs to be rectified or changed it wouldn't be much of a problem, snap & clean) Fill in gaps, finish off anything else such as sculpting etc then spray ready for painting. I've got about 3 pots of the stuff as I've bought one, forgot where it was, bought another etc lol found them as I was moving out. :laugh:

Have my Psycannon GK left to do of the 2nd squad, from there the only things left are any other conversions and sculpting, fill holes and then spray, at that point I will put them on a shelve. Start learning how to airbrush by doing vehicles, then my 45 ish Deathwing, then some marines or my chaos chosen, then finally onto these guys. Through that I shall learn to do OSL to a better extent, when I've tried it in the past, it has came out pretty nice, just need to try it with the airbrush as it will have a 10x smoother/realistic finish by eye for less effort, as doing an amazing OSL with a brush is tedious and difficult at times :victory:

I'll be spraying them with white primer i think, as then the OSL and NMM will be easier to see during the base colours, as with NMM I start in the middle, do the highlights and then the reverse, seems too look hawt. :grin:

Oh and the Display board/case(if it is possible? T.T) Won't be big at all, as there is only going to be 12 models, Would like it to be a Ruined Marshland, so the Dreadknight will be cruising through some building if I can manage the conversion on that towards the front of the board, with the building on more of a raised ground area, can't see why it would be too hard, one of the marine units in the centre wading through some sludge with possible bodies, 2nd in some type of growth, not sure yet as too which, will need to read up onto some lore to make it more suitable. commander guy dude person lol will most likely be split between the two but more on a smaller raised area, debating on buying Ahriman and giving him a nasty ass 2h greatsword and passing him off as the brotherhood captain guy, but I'm scared to do that as Ahriman is a beautiful model...

·
Registered
802 Posts
You certainly are a busy chappy - A display board and case in one? I'd stick to doing a board and putting it in an IKEA display cabinet - £40 gets you the same sort of thing GW use in shops.

Djinn is the man to talk to about Airbrushing, It's not something I've ever invested in but having seen the results that can be achieved I'd love to see how you get along with it. Same goes for the NMM - Again my painting is only tabletop standard so I stick to good ol' Boltgun Metal!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The NMM is mainly for the gold rims etc, Then again for the OSL to work awesomely, I'd have to shade in half - 70% of the model so doing a NMM to black might seem pointless as shading will take out the layers of effort haha. :)

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here we go guys, been busy today, looked at a template for the Display board...

1. Dreadknight
2. Unit 1
3. Champion
4. Unit 2

The Dots by 4 will be places for trees, the ones with a line will be broken/leaning trees towards that direction
The circle is highlighting where the small body of swamp water with a few bodies will be (Justicar of unit one will be in the centre, as though he pulled the head from it or something possibly, GK with sword through Nurgle Head will be towards the end of the water).

Lines around 1 will be Building, The Lines through lines will be destroyed building via charging dreadknight, squiggly bits rubble.

Hotdog jar will be fuel reservoir and pipes etc around it.

Unit 2

Sorcerer front view as requested

Positions on board

group shot yay!

Anyway as per usual, C&C welcome :) cheers for the responses thus far, much appreciated!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Going to do some colours up of the new stuff and will post them tomorrow! Also some pictures of some new bits I stole from a friend that I'll be stripping! :D

Just an update, currently looking after my parents place away from my models and so havn;t been able to get to them, moving house + looking after parents is way too frustrating! lol I will let you guys know when I'm back =)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts