Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Grr! That is all.
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just out of curiosity what are the hardest colors to paint with and why?

What are the hardest things to do?

Examples of what I am talking about: Terrain modeling, rust/corrosion effects, water or wet look, dirt or dusty look, blood or other liquids, creating models from scratch or building onto them...

That kind of stuff. Also if you wanted to you could include what colors you find easiest to paint with and what stuff you find easy to do.

What brands of paints, brushes and such do you all use?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I honestly have not found a color that was hard to paint. I've heard people say that white or yellow was hard. With my airbrush, both have seemed rather easy for me. Or, I just got lucky (which is more likely). Metallics through the airbrush had me a little put off until I found the right mixture that worked for me. After that, it was easy.
As for the hardest things to do? For me it's greenstuff. Filling in small holes/bubbles/cracks is easy. I'm talking actually sculpting something. Trying to get it to look like I want has been a bitch and a half. I did make some nice looking lilly pads, but afterwards found that they were too big for what I wanted. Was happy with how they came out though.
Another thing that's hard for me, is keeping/finding motivation. I keep buying stuff, starting it, then putting it on the shelf for something else I bought. I would say that's my hardest problem right now. I currently have 2k crons, 4k da, 2k csm, and a butt load of random models to paint. Also stripped my gk (about 3k pts) because I know I can do them better.
I keep getting stuck in a pattern. I cut them off the sprue, clean them up and start glueing some parts together. Then it's onto drilling/pinning/ and magnets. Once I get all that work done, I paint up some test models to get my basic colors down.....and then I lose motivation and jump to something else.
What I do find interesting is trying the hard stuff or new things. Currently I have 3 crisis suits (not an army I'm going to play, just wanted to paint them) that I'm doing in a digi camo scheme. It's proved a chalange for me so far in getting it right. For some reason, my mind doesnt comprehend the pattern for the tape I'm putting on it. I'll get it though. Another one was the rust affects with salt and hairspray. That was interesting to do. And, I was very happy with my first attempts.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
The hardest i found to paint without an airbrush was smooth white/off white. However airbrushing makes it all a doddle. I really, really like painting reds; for some odd reason.
Hardest thing to do... weathering i think. Might be easier with an airbrush though...

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Without a brush white is hardest by far, as its hard to get the shadows good without the whole white section looking really grey.

Freehand is a bitch, even on the simplest things like hazard stripes as its hard to get the black lines the same thickness but not too thick, everything else is ok.

I love doing OSL, edge highlighting, gems and bases as they are really easy to nail with very simple techniques

·
Registered
409 Posts
Yellow. Tried it once, failed, psychologically traumatised.

I also hate painting flesh/faces. Used to be able to paint them no problem but in the last few years I have found that I totally suck at it. The strange thing is that I was looking at a gang of Necromunda Ratskins that I painted in 1997 and the flesh/faces look brilliant.

I must be going through some sort of mid 30's painting senility.......

·
Angryman
4,304 Posts
Yellow. Tried it once, failed, psychologically traumatised.
Totally, fucking yellow, I never had an issue with the imperial fists until I tried to paint yellow. Anyone who can do it has to be in league with the dark gods. Geez that colour is fucked up. Iron warriors hazard stripes cause a hazard by turning me into a raging psychopath. Its not a red rag to a bull, its a yellow surface to a very frustrated painter, but the effect is much the same.
It all started because I wanted to do one marine in the colours of the space wolves with a yellow shoulderpad. Just never managed to get good even coverage, and I have been unhinged ever since.

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
White for me too.

All other colours are not problem , especially with the new paints, but white remains the bane of my existence!

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Black.

It's the only colour i havn't yet found a completely satisfactory way to blend for shading and highlighting. I really dislike the grey edge highlight route, in fact i dislike edge highlighting in general.

It's a bitch of a colour to try and get some depth in.

·
Closet Dictator
3,413 Posts
bastard white!!!!!! and trying to shade the fucker too, when I eventually gets me an airbrush hopefully this will change. Oh and blending o.s.l and green stuff sculpting, yep I picked the right hobby didn't I argggghhhh!

·
Registered
0 Posts
White and black. Hard to find that right shade of Grey to make them look good.

The second question no one has answered.

Winsor and Newton series 7 or Raphael 8404 typically size 1 or 2

Harder&Steenbeck Infinity .15mm and .40mm tip sets; DeVilbiss Dagr; Iwata Neo siphon feed; Masters G44

Vallejo Model Color and Game color for base colors
GW Washes and metallics

Createx normal and wicked color airbrush paint

Golden Paint addatives

·
Grr! That is all.
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Any of you ever mixed glitter or sparkly stuff in your paint or clear enamel?

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
The hardest thing for me is mathing the reds on different models, drives me nuts that everything's a different shade as it has been painted over a decade and a half!

I don't have an issue painting white, Bleached Bone followed by Skull White then rather then edge highlighting (that I hate) I use a sponge to weather it and make it stand out. Sometimes I slide a standard pencil along the edges to weather it.

As for my yellows, bleached bone, the base colour yellow that GW have that I dont remember its name, then a wash of graphia sapia (spelling :p) then I dry brush a highlight of Sunburst yellow

I have issues sealing in weathering powders (at the moment), edge highlighting (maybe I'm just crap at it though) and lastly metalics, I hate painting golds and silvers because my golds look brass when I want gold and gold when I want brass and my silvers always look grey!

I use all GW stuff except for sealing transfers on to models and when I can use the thing in my next house I'll get some Vallajeo air colour

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
The hardest thing for me is mathing the reds on different models, drives me nuts that everything's a different shade as it has been painted over a decade and a half!

I don't have an issue painting white, Bleached Bone followed by Skull White then rather then edge highlighting (that I hate) I use a sponge to weather it and make it stand out. Sometimes I slide a standard pencil along the edges to weather it.

As for my yellows, bleached bone, the base colour yellow that GW have that I dont remember its name, then a wash of graphia sapia (spelling :p) then I dry brush a highlight of Sunburst yellow

I have issues sealing in weathering powders (at the moment), edge highlighting (maybe I'm just crap at it though) and lastly metalics, I hate painting golds and silvers because my golds look brass when I want gold and gold when I want brass and my silvers always look grey! Lastly I hate blending, I find that the paint dries too quick or is too watery or i just mix all the colours together and fail completely :)

I use all GW stuff except for sealing transfers on to models and when I can use the thing in my next house I'll get some Vallajeo air colour

·
Grr! That is all.
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Since these are plastic (I assume) models how many times can you mess up and remove the paint before it renders the model useless and or changes the models textures? Is the paint water soluble until you add a layer of some special bonding paint? Do you use solvents and do those destroy the model?

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I use fairy power spray, green bottle red squirty thing from all the UK supermarkets, only issue I find sometimes is the paint doesn't come out of the details like the aquillas wings o the chest plates but its normally passable

It does no damage to the plastic so you can do it as many times as you want

1 - 17 of 17 Posts