Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Apologies in advance for the english, as its not my main language. 20 + years of devouring hollywood films and american popculture, doesn't guarantee bulletproof grammar, I am afraid.

For some time now, I've been toying with the idea of starting my own painting studio. I know I've got decent enough skills, but the management, customer dealing, and general logistical side of such an enterprise is currently beyond me. I decided that before I'll even begin thinking about setting up my own studio offering commisions, it would be best to start a painting log, as baby steps. To learn the trade, get critique and suggestions on the paintjobs, and perhaps advertise my works a bit. Get a better feel of whats involved in the buissnes of commision painting.

My current goal is to set aside any display models for my own private collection, and for now focus on pieces meant for Ebay. I would like to try training and dedicate a regular amount of hours per day, so that I can complete several good quality models/units a month. Get a better grip on managing time and learn to paint more effectively.

The last piece I finished was a unit of three Necron Canoptek Wraiths:

If You like em, please leave a vote here:
http://www.coolminiornot.com/330651

The minis are currently on sale here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pro-Painted-Necron-Canoptek-Wraiths-/151031301298?

Also, a few months back I finished and sold this beast. It was featured some time ago on the the Procrastinator's blog

If You like it, please leave a vote here:
http://www.coolminiornot.com/314368
http://www.coolminiornot.com/314364

Comments and critique are welcome.

Cheers!

·
Unhinged Hobo
2,341 Posts
These look aweseom, i can't really give much of a critique because your painting at a much higher level than where i am, the only thing i can see, and it's a minor thing which you'll probably get over with even the next model you paint, The pallet on both of these example pieces if very similar to the point of nearly beign identical. You would do well to do something with some bold primary colours or realistic military feels to diversify your current portfolio.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I know what You mean. Recently I've been painting mainly "evil" armies, and most of the paintjobs are based around some combination of black and red, ie "eviiiiiiil" colours ;) Currently working on Tau battlesuits, experimenting with camouflage, should bring some variety to this thread.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I get that a lot about the bases. It's just that for some reason, I always feel that elemets like grass and foliage don't suit armies like Necrons or Chaos. When basing such miniatures I always try to go for a "battelfield desolation" look. I experiment using modeling powders and sand, but in the end it all looks a bit too uniform, I agree.

My current wip is a Tau Battlesuit, I allready started working on the base, this time it will be a bit more elaborate.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'm gonna disagree with the above comments. I think the gore and osl effects are so insanely dynamic that a mute base is exactly what you need.

No one should get a pokemon-level seizure from too much stuff going on. Btw could you pleaseeee do a short guide on the hellbrute blood stuff. No need to give away trade secrets, but damn that looks great.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its cheap office glue glazed with dark red paint (blood red + red wash + chaos black), and covered with plenty of gloss varnish.

Clear, universal, liquid glue. Find an office glue that leaves those annyoing, stringy spiderwebs every time You touch it. The cheaper the better, as finer and more expensive brands usualy don't leave that sort of web. Then simply apply it on the figure and string it between any two parts of the model. After the glue dries, color it the way You want with acrylic paint, and cover with gloss varnish. Done.

You can also check this tutorial, I found on YT:

·
Registered
68 Posts
I agree with teh Matrix comment and I think they look awesome. The Hellbrute is also impressive and is a great color combo for it and the gore is a nice touch.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay back from the dead. Real life issues in the last few months, dragged me away from the hobby completely, but now I am back to painting, and working on finishing old projects.

Currently on the agenda:

This is guy is about 90% finished. Still need to touch up a few details, plus do the pigments weathering.

Also, I need to paint the base. If everything will go well, this whole project should be 100% finished tommorow.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I'm going to follow everyone and say that OSL on the Necrons is one of the best I've ever seen, but that the metals need a little something (maybe and ultra-thin Nuln Oil wash to tie the colors together?). The Helbrute is top notch, pretty impressive blood effects (thanks for sharing).

I'm not entirely sold on the Tau Battlesuit, it could really be improved with a contrasting colour, like bright Sept markings/ rockets/ energy cells, or orange chips on the rusted edges.

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
Agreed that tau is looking pretty rough, like he's a tau from mad max's Australia.

He definitely needs some accent colors.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The Tau was supposed to be an Urban camoflauge battlesuit ravaged by wear and tear, so its mean to be pretty rough.

But now that You guys mentioned sept markings I just had the "oh sh%t I totally forgot about the decals!" moment. Couse I did :)

I allready covered the guy in weathering powders, but I'll think about adding some transfers and symbols to the armour. What coulour would work or contrast nicely with the greys? I am thinking about orange or white.

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
I really like Tau tbh, it's like an urban version of Lew's ones. That's some pretty amazing brush work you have going on there!

For sept markings I say go white, I think the orange might clash a bit with the green lights and the greys.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The Tau Battlesuit is finished. I am happy with the model, though its not 100% what I envisaged when I started the project. The heavy weathering doesn't look as good on a camoflouged model, as on a plain colored one, since it all meshes together a bit too much. It does look better in-hand though. The various scratched metal bits are more prounounced and visible, plus the mixture of diffrent textures from the beaten metal, semi-gloss camo paint and matt, chalky residues of battlefield dust and dirt creates a nice, realistic contrast.

I am allready working on another battlesuit. This time it will be less gritty and more 'Eavy Metal.

The mini is for sale here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151138635999?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

If You like the model please leave a vote one CMON: http://www.coolminiornot.com/342750

·
Super Moderator
2,998 Posts
Really great work so far, I have nothing to add for the crons and hellbrute that hasn't already been touched on.

In regards to the battlesuit. I think becuase you're adding so much weathering, you could take the camouflage lighter, used lighter greys and made the model lighter in general before the application of the weathering. Because the weathering dulls the overall colour so much it wouldn't have been as stark as you might expect, but it would make the model look a little less drab. The quality is evidently there, it's just masked by the weathering (which is good too, it's just hard to distinguish between them on some parts)

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Well I can't fault the skill at the camo, the weathering or the OSL. It's bloody amazing. I think it possibly needs more OSL specifically around the Fusion Blaster vents and the shiel. I think that would possibly make it pop a bit more. That said it's a bloody amazing job you have done on it!

1 - 20 of 98 Posts