Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so how do the Tomb Kings work now. we generate 2d6 dice but how do our spells work? Do I use die from the pool equal to what the priest or prince would have normally rolled or do I determine the power level and then try to match that using my power die? Can my tomb prince roll more than one die to cast where his power level is defined as 1d6? I'm totally lost.

·
Registered
324 Posts
You'll have to wait like the rest of us for the FAQs supposedly coming out on Release Day to find out. That is if the server doesn't crash due to everybody trying to download the files for all the sponsored events going on that day. Hey,GW, PPPPP!*

*Prior Planning Prevents Poor Performance.

·
Registered
885 Posts
This is probably why a new Tomb Kings book is the first book rumored (confirmed?) to be out in 8th edition.

For now, I was told by GW staff to assume that incantations are not bound spells and are auto-cast as before ("unique to that book") but the bound spells (additional magic items allowing more incantations or spells) carried by characters must be cast using the winds of magic power dice. Also, the power levels of autocast incantations are likely to be reduced (one suggestions for play-testing was to remove one D6 from the dice rolls of the 2D6 and 3D6 spells and replace with a boost of +1 for priests and +3 for high priests or something but no such boost fro princes and kings). Also, the casters do not have power levels which limits their ability to dispel relative to other casters. This means that they technically cannot "channel" additional dispel dice.

On the other hand, the indication is that the incantations will be classified as "innate" bound spells but with an FAQ that might adjust the levels required to cast them and the priests at least will be given levels 1 and 3 for casting and dispel purposes but the prince and king will be regarded as only have innnate bound spells. All of these are rumors, some of which can be seen on the Warseer site.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
I imagined that making the incantation all bound spells of level 3 would make the most sense right now. It keeps the "we don't miscast" intact, though double sixes would then destroy the "spell", and allows the dice to be used properly with the current system. And also gives you the new "1 and 2 always fail" setting.

·
Registered
147 Posts
In case you haven't read it yet on the GW site, your incantations are cast automatically, basically as bound spells with a power level of 2D6 or 3D6 depending on the level of the caster for purposes of determining the dispel roll that your opponent needs. Makes Tomb Kings a whole lot nastier, in my opinion.

·
Registered
93 Posts
quite simply tomb kings are now very very dirty :shok: they will quite simply dominate the magic phase :) glad i play them :) i gues....

·
Registered
617 Posts
quite simply tomb kings are now very very dirty :shok:
In magic maybe. There are bad points though-

-miscast with bound items
-limits on everything, so no blocks of 100 spearmen
-limited magic
-over-priced(points wise)
-many redundant things/abilities

So, I'm hoping for a new book soon, with more available Incantations!

·
Registered
442 Posts
imagine 8 ushabti backed up by a high priest or 2 and sorry 245 pts 4 a high priest is dirt cheap better than most lv4 wivards anyway and oh no we don't have acces to all the lores in the book and no not my precious bound items what will i do

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Do the limits come from the book itself, or the army construction? And ushapti and bone giants are pretty bad.

·
Registered
93 Posts
high priests are dirty cheap! everyone is now limited by dice while tomb kings are not meaning that they can dominate the magc phase which is what they need :)

Creon: how are ushabti bad? ws4 str6 (with stomp attacks as well :) I3 A3 they are great :)

Shadow Hawk: what are these redundent abilites you are speaking of i dont see any.

two liche high priests=12 dice :D thats as many dispel dice as an enemy army can legaly field and its cost me 490pts, thats a bargin :)

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Bad=Good. I reread, and it might look like I DON'T like bone giants and Ushapti. No, I FEAR bone giants and ushapti. They are BAD in the good sense of the word. I tried today to get a TK army on Ebay, so you might see I support the "magic slingin'" dry dead.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Unit limits still apply don't they, so max Tomb guard is sitll 75?

I can't seem to find page 88 in my TK book, yet on the FAQ it says to look at page 88. What is that about.

Oh, and redundant things, I should've really said more pointless things;
-Unit strength - I'm sure we pay for that
-construct rules and BSB - this has been a bit pointless for a while, but it is still bad
-Fear. No auto break but WS1, makes fights a bit easier but I would rather auto break to be honest.
-Terror isn't as good either.

So, if anyone wants to correct me, especially on unit limits please do, I really want to have huge blocks of skelly spearmen. Hopefully we'll have a new army book soon anyway.

Oh, and please explain how TK magic is dirty.

·
Registered
442 Posts
it works the same so your units will mostly get a second move and you will be able to maintain them at high combat effectivness and you now get supporting attacks from the incantation

·
Registered
116 Posts
Oh, and please explain how TK magic is dirty
Right, on paper it seems a bit naff: a capped power level of 2d6 and spells that seem weak (only one direct damage and that's d6 S4 hits). However it's the application that matters. All priests know all the incantations, and can cast the same one twice (if it's a high priest). What this allowed me to do in the old rules was to set up a game-ending charge in the movement phase (a large unit of chariots on my opponent's flank) and then position my priests so that as many of them as possible can affect it. This leads to about 6-9 dice being used on that one unit, continually casting this one spell until my opponent to ran out of dispel dice and scrolls. The result for me was a win in two turns as I just dominoed the rest of his army.

In 8th edition magic defense has been significantly weakened (only 1 dispel scroll and a max of 6-7 dispel dice. This means that it becomes significantly easier to cast spells.

Item 2:
The second incantation that causes carnage is the "incantation of free shooting phase" as it's known in my local gaming circle. You can cast this on a catapault that is now significantly more accurate, effectively allowing it to fire twice a turn. Give it "skulls of the foe" and you'll be causing an almost guaranteed two panic tests a turn (someone has to fail one eventuallly).

Item 3:
Resurrection can be cast on EVERYTHING, and with weakend magic defence you can resurrect the fallen in/for combats that really matter (and thus potentially rob an enemy of steadfast by getting another rank back).

The main thing about TK magic is that when deployed correctly you can make sure that key events happen that will end in disaster for your opponent, and if you try for two each turn he will run out of dice so something very unpleasant will happen (such as a game-winning charge your opponent REALLY didn't want). If used carefully you WILL overwhelm your opponent and thus simultaneously be able to outmanouvre him (in an army that can't march this is impressive) and potentially out shoot him.

The Casket of souls also draws dice, and is now even more unpleasant as magic resistance is now a ward save rather than bonus dispel dice, thus it goes off more often and does more damage, especially as Line of Sight extends into combat!

You probably know all this, but the main thing to bear in mind is that you can potentially do all this in one turn! Especially now that your opponent will have significantly less dispel dice (an average of 4ish). Your average Tomb king army starts with at least the equivalent of 3 power dice, but most tend to have 6-8 (mine has about 11 currently, including the box of doom and I'm beginning to think it might be overkill). Set your priests up so that they can all do something potentially game-winning and your opponent will have to decide which way he'll loose as he definitely won't be able to stop them all. There's a damn good reason my mates ALWAYS took a scroll caddy or two in the previous edition, now they can't they're in for a whole world of pain. :taunt:

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
TKs have more magic available by about 2x than anyone else. That's what has changed. And only 1 dispell scroll per army makes the a big difference. Roll snake eyes, and you will have a great deal of success steamrollering the opponent with spell after unstoppable spell.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts