Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yoyo people, my project this summer is a game board.

I’ve wanted to have my own board for some years but time, money and space have always been my enemy. Well in September I’ll be moving into a new house with Concrete Hero and several of our other friends. I will be having the big room, which has enough space to accommodate a game board, so. . . I’m going to make one.

It will be modular, split into 2*2 feet sections that have the buildings free floating to aid storage. I’ve planned it all out to have a grid like road system which will make it more customizable.

In total, the board will have 14 buildings as well as various other features (E.G power planet, fuel dump, a square with a statue)

Anyway, enough yapping, onto some piccies:

My first three buildings:

The fuel dump WIP

The power generator WIP

I’m really pleased with my progress so far, I’ve only been working on this for a week or so.

I’ve got one of the Pegasus hobbies buildings coming in the mail (the one with a big circle stained glass looking window, set 2 I think) which I’ll be using as a church. I’ve also got a big building built which will be a hospital/xenos lab. I’ll be buying the forge world dissection table come pay day.

Anyway, hope you’ve enjoyed what you’ve seen so far. Feel free to leave a comment, they are all greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Reaper

·
Registered
300 Posts
Woahh great work. The paint job looks very crisp, not sure if the red checkered tiles fit in on the buildings, but either way this is an impressive piece. The Guard posters are a very nice touch. plus rep indeed. :)

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
As always Reaper, your work is simply badass. The Scout is pretty cool as well, mind:wink: I look forward to seeing more of this, do you know how large this will be roughly? Plus rep mate!

·
Super Moderator
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Woahh great work. The paint job looks very crisp, not sure if the red checkered tiles fit in on the buildings, but either way this is an impressive piece. The Guard posters are a very nice touch. plus rep indeed. :)
As always Reaper, your work is simply badass. The Scout is pretty cool as well, mind:wink: I look forward to seeing more of this, do you know how large this will be roughly? Plus rep mate!
Cheers guys :D

The board will be 6*4 when its done :D

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I simply love the imperial propaganda! A fabulous job there matey! I'll definitely follow this to see how it turns out, also wanting to do a cityfight board. I'm planning on a dock/trainyard with highway and loading cranes. Anyway, you've done a really good job.

·
Super Moderator
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I simply love the imperial propaganda! A fabulous job there matey! I'll definitely follow this to see how it turns out, also wanting to do a cityfight board. I'm planning on a dock/trainyard with highway and loading cranes. Anyway, you've done a really good job.
Cheers man, I like the sound of that board, some great possibilites there :D

I've finished the fuel dump:

And my finished sections so far:

Cheers

Reaper

·
Super Moderator
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmm, when i posted this earlier it didn't work lol

So, I've been a busy bee today and finished yet another building:

And all of them so far:

Hopefully my pegasus kit arrives this week so I can get cracking with the church :D

That's all for today, please feel free to leave a comment lol

Cheers

Reaper

·
Super Moderator
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow they look really cool. Just for future referance can I ask how you painted them

Rep for you:eek:k:

Skar
Cheers man.

The buildings themselves are sprayed army painter uniform grey and drybrushed astrinomican grey. The bases are adeptus battlegrey drybrushed codex grey. The weathered areas are done with vietnam earth MIG pigment.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Wow, this is amazing. Always nice to see scenery and the creativity of the artists. I love it how you used CPU parts and other misc props, they really fit in well to the whole theme you got going. Big compliments on the painting aswell they look very clean, yet dirty and thus realistic.

Hope to see more of your work in the Future, have some rep :)

·
Super Moderator
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow, this is amazing. Always nice to see scenery and the creativity of the artists. I love it how you used CPU parts and other misc props, they really fit in well to the whole theme you got going. Big compliments on the painting aswell they look very clean, yet dirty and thus realistic.

Hope to see more of your work in the Future, have some rep :)
Thank you for your kind words :D

Love 'pray for deliverance'. How do you do about making those posters? Do you photoshop it up and then print them out straight? Really nice progress.
I collected propoganda posters from various places and then combined them onto one sheet. I printed it out on regular paper and simply used watered down pva to apply it. If anyone wants the sheet with the posters shoot me a PM with your email and I'll send them on :D

·
Registered
548 Posts
that will be a very impressive board when it's done - love the posters, really great idea as it make the scenery feel "lived in". great painting too!

only suggestion i have is that a few of the posters look too clean...maybe rough them up a bit - burn them / rip them, so they look as damaged as the city, or possibly just weather the paper with a wet tea-bag.

will be looking forward to seeing the rest of the board take shape! +rep

·
Registered
855 Posts
Great work on that, I really like the attention to detail with the posters. The use of an old heat sink & fan is priceless as well!

The *one* thing that seems to jump out at me though is it is almost too clean. There is this desire to see the entire board given a watered down wash. Perhaps it is the camera, but it just looks a tad too clean and lacking the grime that I always think of when invisioning the ruins of an imperial city. You could use just craft paint watered down into multiple thin washes (will keep your costs down and allow for some variations in shades). As well as some scorch marks/old blood stains...

·
Super Moderator
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Very slick. I love all the small attentions to detail with the propaganda posters and signs.
Cheers man.

that will be a very impressive board when it's done - love the posters, really great idea as it make the scenery feel "lived in". great painting too!

only suggestion i have is that a few of the posters look too clean...maybe rough them up a bit - burn them / rip them, so they look as damaged as the city, or possibly just weather the paper with a wet tea-bag.

will be looking forward to seeing the rest of the board take ship! +rep
The posters will get weathered at a later date:)

Great work on that, I really like the attention to detail with the posters. The use of an old heat sink & fan is priceless as well!

The *one* thing that seems to jump out at me though is it is almost too clean. There is this desire to see the entire board given a watered down wash. Perhaps it is the camera, but it just looks a tad too clean and lacking the grime that I always think of when invisioning the ruins of an imperial city. You could use just craft paint watered down into multiple thin washes (will keep your costs down and allow for some variations in shades). As well as some scorch marks/old blood stains...
I know what you mean Euph. I had tried to add scorch marks and such but it didnt work lol. Once I get hold of some more pigments (of various colours) i shall be weathering the buildings some more.

Thanks so much for all comments so far folks, it's really encouraging :D

·
Super Moderator
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update time happy Heretics. I've started painting my church, REALLY pleased with how this piece is looking so far.

The small area that is untextured (the bit with the metal hunks - an organ) is going to be a grassy area with some tombstones and graves :D

I've added a floor inside the tower so troops can look out the window.

The posts dotted around the perimiter shall be supports for a razor wire fence once the rest of the building is painted.

As always folks, your comments are most welcome

Cheers

Reaper

·
Registered
548 Posts
that church looks incredibly sharp, sir - nicely done :grin: quick question; any plans to throw the odd corpse / skeleton into the ruins? a couple of well placed ones [with a similar sense of humor to the posters] might make for some really fun details...

1 - 20 of 58 Posts