Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is directed towards the England-based members here.

I have always thought that soemday in the future I would love to move to England. For its kidna people, its strong hobby-going populace, the old-style homes, curious landscape, and (by my standards) good weather.

So, my questions are:

What are your opinions of England?
Can you compare them to other places?
Where is the best place to live?
Types fo housing?
What food is typcial?
Whats with the tea?
Would an American have a hard time adapting? *(If answer is yes, tell why. I think I am an exception to the American stereotype. If no, why.)

I'm sure I'll have more questions later. This is a serious thread. Someday i wish to move to England, and this information may or may not sway my opinion. Please respond to this as it is my future! :p

·
blahblahblahblah
6,663 Posts
What are your opinions of England? in all honesty, I think England is a terrible country, the people are anything but kind, you have a better chance of being stabbed in the street, and the houses look old because there falling apart.

Can you compare them to other places? Nazi Germany after the Russians invaded lol

Where is the best place to live? Wales, no chance of bein stabbed, the worst crime there is someone loving there sheep too much hehe

Types fo housing? Expensive small houses in a state of disrepair because nobody will fix them.

What food is typcial? Fish and Chips, McDonalds for the idiots, and thats about it.

Whats with the tea? Dunno it tastes horrible

Would an American have a hard time adapting? Can't really say, if I had experience of America I could say, but I only have Experience of England, and really its overrated, so in my opinion I hate my country I really do but if you wanna come over then fine, but don't expect a warm welcome

I wanna get out of this country, go live in Japan or summit.

·
blahblahblahblah
6,663 Posts
Well unfortunately to me it really is, its a country filled with thugs, hooligans, idiots, and worst of all Tony Blair lol, nobody respects anybody here at all, you walk down a street your liable to get your head kicked in and your throat slit just for being there, usually by someone whos drank about 200000 pints in one day and is about 12yrs old lol, thats another thing, underage drinking is a huge problem here, as is Knives, Stealing, Shootings recently, and all manner of things.

·
Slave to Heresy!
8,803 Posts
I Lee Jerrum swear by almighty God that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the second, her heirs and successors and that I will, as in duty bound, honestly and faithfully defend Her Majesty, her heirs and successors, in person, crown and dignity against all enemies, and will observe and obey all orders of Her Majesty, her heirs and successors and of the generals and officers set over me.
Feel the love Stella. This is our country, the land our grandfathers fought long and hard for.

God save our gracious Queen,
Long live our noble Queen,
God save the Queen:
Send her victorious,
Happy and glorious,
Long to reign over us:
God save the Queen.

O Lord our God arise,
Scatter her enemies,
And make them fall:
Confound their politics,
Frustrate their knavish tricks,
On Thee our hopes we fix:
God save us all.

Thy choicest gifts in store
On her be pleased to pour;
Long may she reign:
May she defend our laws,
And ever give us cause
To sing with heart and voice
God save the Queen.
Does the National Anthem not bring a lump to your throat every time you hear it?

It hurts that you have that opinion, this is a beautiful country. The countryside is amazng, the people - except the minority - are kind and generous. Plus, the greatest football league in the world is played on our shores! Bargain.

You can see it when you haul your ass over here for this years GT heats Anph!

-Stella buy a world famous book by Dale Carneigie. Reading it will teach you how to deal with assholes.

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
What are your opinions of England?

Stella's made it a bit harsh, but it does depend where you live. From small towns up to cities, you have to deal with a big 'chav' problem. Hooded, often criminal (always annoying), youths. Alot of town centres also look very similar, having a bland high street leading into big, boring housing estates. I live in the countryside, in Kent, and I bloody love it. 400,000 acres of farmland surround my house, and there aren't any chavs in the village. Awesome.

As for the English, it again varies hugely. For the most part, we are a private people, which can come off as rude to others/outsiders. However once in a community atmosphere, you will find us most accepting and generous. Go to a pub. A country pub. Someone will buy you a pint.

Where is the best place to live?

Somewhere in the countryside, a nice village. Some towns are nice... Some cities are very nice to be fair, Durham, Rochester, Canterbury. The North is generally considered cheaper, if poorer, than the south, which is entirely true.

Types of housing? We have all the normal types. Take your pick. Added to that we have country cottages, mansions, and y'know, thinks with history.

What food is typical? Typcial, or at least stereotypical, english dishes are: Fish and Chips, A Sunday Roast (Lamb, Pork or Beef predominantly), Pie. You will find that food of all types is available here. The most commonly eaten meal in my house is spaghetti bolognaise.

Whats with the tea? No one can be quite certain, but there's something quintessentially british about a nice cuppa.

Would an American have a hard time adapting? Perhaps. It is definitely a culture shock. I recommend reading Bill Bryson's Notes From a Small Country on that very subject. Not only is it very informative, and encouraging, but very very funny.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
England is my home always has always will. I love the weather nice and cold, the tea...its ans English thing. IMO the best place to live is the country side.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
uberschveinen said:
Waht's wrong with tea? English Breakfast is, quite possibly, the apotheosis of hot breakfast beverages.
If that was directed at me, I believe you misunderstood my intent on the question.

I was not being condescending to the whole idea of drinking tea, i was curious about what time of day it happens, where the idea came from, and whether or not people actually do it and so i asked indirectly the way i did.

Yeah, Chavs! I have heard of thosefrom my two British friends that have moved to the states. They say they have the "worst damnable bloody accent" and are generally pricks.

I also heard they are like most youth in america in the ghettoes, wearing fake jewellry and hats and baggy clothes.

Well, I don't mean to be cocky, but as long as the criminals don't have guns and come out you in groups of four or five, i think i could handle myself.

Cuz, you know, in America, its a group of 5 "gangstas" all loaded with pistols that rob you for money to buy fake "bling."

·
Ex Mod.
4,245 Posts
Well unfortunately to me it really is, its a country filled with thugs, hooligans, idiots, and worst of all Tony Blair lol, nobody respects anybody here at all, you walk down a street your liable to get your head kicked in and your throat slit just for being there, usually by someone whos drank about 200000 pints in one day and is about 12yrs old lol, thats another thing, underage drinking is a huge problem here, as is Knives, Stealing, Shootings recently, and all manner of things.
I dunno where you live, but to be honest you make Britian (rather than just England) seem like a total shit hole. Which it obviously isnt.

I live in Essex, and I have never been stabbed in the street or mugged and have never had my head kicked in or my throat cut. And i don't know anyone who has either. Gun crime isnt a big problem, its just on the news at the moment as no one ever gets shot ever at all. As for knife crime, thats a problem anywhere as its so easy to get hold of a Knife from anywhere.
I find it shocking that you have such little respect for your country. It has made you who you are. People have fought and died for it so you can sit at your computer telling anph about how shit it is.

So, please if this country is so shit go live in Japan where everything costs the earth and is full of crazy japanese people. Enjoy learning Japanese. Im sure they will love your whinging Britian bullshit about how everyone is a hoodie wearing thug who stabs grannies at the weekend.

Whilst you're at it why not urinate on our flag as well?

So, in answer to your question anph.....

What are your opinions of England? - Well personally i like it, i wouldnt want to live anywhere else. People say its shit but thats just coz they havnt lived anywhere else.

Can you compare them to other places? - Not overly sure what you mean by that, but its not WWII Germany.....

Where is the best place to live? - Depends what you like really. There are loads of great places to live. I live in Essex so id say its not a bad place to live. The south is better than the north though. You really wouldnt want to live anywhere near an essex council estate, brixton or dagenham though

Types of housing? - Again depends what you like. A lot of city housing is either 1930-1950 terraced or semi detatched houses, but atm flats and housing estates are popping up all over the place. I think if u ever lived here id be surprised how diverse it is.

What food is typcial? - To eat at home or out? Obviously fast food eg McDonalds but also more traditional british stuff like i dunno, bangers and mash. There seems to be at least 5 chinese/indian takeaways in every town tho so if u like that ur in luck.

Whats with the tea? - Many english people like tea. end of.

Would an American have a hard time adapting? *(If answer is yes, tell why. I think I am an exception to the American stereotype. If no, why.) - No i dont think so. Generally people arent as bad as others make out, although we can seem a bit arrogant and snobby. It would be the same as fitting in in any new country.

PS sorry but i cant stand all them dickheads who say our country is shit. Also its impossible for anything to drink that much alchol without dying, so please re evaluate your stupid opinion on britian or move out.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I had a nice vaction in england a few years ago. People are nice. The whole country was cool.

My only problem with Englad is teh roads. Small narrow twisting roads. No raod signs. If you wanna drive in Nottingham, forget about it. That city's roads are like a giant knot.

The weather was good. I like cloudy weather.

Tea is good once you put cream and sugar into it like us Americans do coffee.

I liked Newcastle. Northumberland is a nice place with lot's of roilling hills and Hadrians wall.

·
Slave to Heresy!
8,803 Posts
I disagree with the South is bette than the North arguement.

I was born in Essex, i've lived there, London, the south west and the North East.

The North East wins hands down in the best place to live stakes.

The night life around Newcastle and Leeds is better than anywhere in the South (yes i've been to Fabric, Ministry, Leicester Square and most of the other named locations).
A beer or bottle of WKD doesn't cost £3.60 in the clubs and the people are by and large far friendlier.

Most Southerners have never travelled further North than Mansfield yet they jump on the South is better bandwagon at the drop of a hat.

It is true they earn less, but for what I pay for a shitty 2 bed flat I could rent a 4 bed detached house in Yorkshire...

More space for 40k matches! win win...

·
blahblahblahblah
6,663 Posts
cccp_one said:
I dunno where you live, but to be honest you make Britian (rather than just England) seem like a total shit hole. Which it obviously isnt.
well like I say, to ME it is, I live in Shropshire and all we have round here is chavs, Hoodies, idiots, fools, etc, our Medical care is terrible, our Government is terrible, our education system is terrible

cccp_one said:
I live in Essex, and I have never been stabbed in the street or mugged and have never had my head kicked in or my throat cut. And i don't know anyone who has either. Gun crime isnt a big problem, its just on the news at the moment as no one ever gets shot ever at all. As for knife crime, thats a problem anywhere as its so easy to get hold of a Knife from anywhere.
well your lucky then, I don't know anyone round me who has NOT been stabbed or beaten up by a gang just for breathing, heck I had my kneecap smashed in by one kid with a brick, and I still have no idea why

cccp_one said:
I find it shocking that you have such little respect for your country. It has made you who you are. People have fought and died for it so you can sit at your computer telling anph about how shit it is.
Well back when people died for this country it was fecking worth something, these days those people who fought for our freedom are the prime targets for bullies, and murderers, all you have to do is open the paper and an Old age pensioner has been killed by a gang of thugs.

cccp_one said:
So, please if this country is so shit go live in Japan where everything costs the earth and is full of crazy japanese people. Enjoy learning Japanese. Im sure they will love your whinging Britian bullshit about how everyone is a hoodie wearing thug who stabs grannies at the weekend.
I think you should do research on Japan if I was you, and I'd rather be around crazy, good mannered, honorable, traditional, Japanese people than some British git (plus Japanese girls hehe)

cccp_one said:
Whilst you're at it why not urinate on our flag as well?
Actually I have nothing against the flag, thats the only good thing, that and the royal Family (God save the Queen)

cccp_one said:
PS sorry but i cant stand all them dickheads who say our country is shit. Also its impossible for anything to drink that much alchol without dying, so please re evaluate your stupid opinion on britian or move out.
I will not re evaluate, cuz if you could not tell that was sarcasm well, and I would love to move out of Britain, thats mypoint, but I can't without money can I.

some of you may love this thing you call a country, but I do not, and nothing you say or do will EVER change that, I hate this country, I would love it if it just sank to the bottom of the ocean

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Lost me too.

As far as hating your country, moving is always an option. Is it easy? Not at all, but it can be done. It takes dedication and effort. If folks really hate their country so bad, then it must be worth the effort to get a visa and move. Jump through the hoops.

If folks aren't willing to jump through the considerable number of hoops, then it doesn't seem to be that important of an issue, and complaints will get a person absolutely nowhere.

Trust me, over the past six years I've looked in to immigrating as well, but thus far it's not worth the headache. Then again, I'm not one to complain about something I'm not willing to do something about.

One thing I've learned about people the world over (having travelled extensively including living in Germany for three years) is that for the most part, people are people. Cities and towns are cities and towns. You have nice areas, suburbs and shitholes in every country. Every single country has hoodlums in it...every one. The grass is ALWAYS greener on the other side. Move somewhere else, and you can still get mugged, car-jacked, eat at McDonalds, get a flat tire, and get laid. I guarantee it.

What IS nice about travelling, is that everything exists everywhere, but it has a slightly different flavor. You will find more culture and ancient buildings in Essex than you will in the Western Half of the United States. It's a fact. The Midwest (where I am now) is not exactly culture central, but there is local flavor (beer, cheese, sausages...and cheese).

Everyplace has something about it that makes it unique, but it also has a multitude of things that are the same as everywhere else.

I highly recommend travelling. Go to the UK. Travel Europe. Come to the US. Go on a road trip. You'll get an appreciation for what you have at home.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Alright, never meant for this to be a heated topic. I was just curious about England.

I have some views now. If anyone has anymore or cares to elaborate, go ahead.

But be nice.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts