Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a friend who wants to start collecting marines (Iron Hands)
I was wondering what he should buy to get started?

I have no knowledge of marines when it comes to knowing what their advantages are, I only really know how to bring my Berserkers axes to the necks.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I would say a good starter would be 2 tac squads, a HQ of his choice, a Land speeder, and perhaps a Predator tank. In that order as well. That will give me a basic starting force to build from all they will likely all be units he will continue to use so long as he plays marines.

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
if you can afford it, pick up the battle company box. it sets you up for an amazing army. if you order tank sprues, you can change the rhinos to other tanks at little cost.

otherwise get the army or battleforce box, they save you money in the long run.

·
Inquisitor
963 Posts
I would say 2 Tactical squads, a Chappy and a Libby, and the new plastic devastor squad + a combat squad box, and a box of Space wolf blood claws.

With the new influence of Psychic powers the use of psychic hoods by the Librarians are almost a requirement. When you put the Blood Claws together you can use them as a command squad with CCW/BP, Veterans, or Assualt Marines w/o jump packs. This is a great squad to join your Chaplian to. The 2 Tactical squads will give you a nice group of 20 marines to give you either 4 small or 2 large squads. The new plastic devastor box comes with enough parts to make 8 heavy weapons but only enough marines for 4 + a Sgt. The extra combat squad will allow you to build ALL the Heavy Weapons. Now if you buy a Tactical squad instead of Combat squad you will be able to build all the special weapons from all the other tactical squads and the blood claw box you buy.

All in all you will have about 42 total models - 2 characters - 10 CCW/BP - about 10 Heavy Weapons - and around 20 other marines w/ Bolters or Special weapons. All for under $200

·
Registered
811 Posts
if he wants to play ironhands, he should pick up a squad of necron warriors, it would cover his conversion needs for a good long time.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have a friend who wants to start collecting marines (Iron Hands)
I was wondering what he should buy to get started?
One nice thing about Marines is that almost the entire force is in plastic.

If he doesn't have a rulebook already, then Battle for Macragge is a good place to start - a full Tactical Squad and the main rulebook alone with other stuff.

If not, then the Megaforce is an amazing box: plastic Commander, a ten man Tactical Squad, a 5 man squad, a Razorback. 5 Scouts, 5 Assault Marines, a Predator and a Dreadnought.

From there you can expand it in a number of ways once it's painted and you want to play larger games: an Assault Squad box to bring them up to 10, a Rhino for the Tactical Squad, a Command Squad, Terminators, Devastators, etc.

As an aside, I'd avoid putting squad numbers on the shoulder pads just yet. You may choose to shuffle around some of the heavy weapons troopers when you add a Devastator Squad.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Iron Hands, IIRC, don't use Commanders; they use Techmarines as an HQ selection I think. They also don't have much use for speeders if I've got my traits right. What they do have is tons of dreads and terminators, and I've always assumed devs and tanks too.

So as far as basic troop choices go, 2x5-man tac squads, and a chaplain, librarian or techmarine would fill the basic requirements. After that, if your mate wants to play them 'pure', I'd recommend terminators and dreadnoughts, as well as the chaps to bump up the (tiny) minimum squads.

If he can afford it, then I'd second the battle company/megaforce/battleforce/army box suggestions: any one of them will provide 1 - a whole bunch of useful stuff more cheaply than buying the equivalent one box at a time; and (but?) 2 - also a bunch of stuff he probably won't need. This he should be able to sell/swap for more dreadnoughts (he can have 6, FFS!)

·
Registered
800 Posts
agree with the necron box set... that would be almost vital for converting them to look like they have machine mech parts

1 - 11 of 11 Posts