Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a bit sad in that I sometimes like to imagine what's happening on the tabletop in real-time as if it was actually happening :crazy:.

However, the other day I was half way through a game, and one of these 'daydreams' (new players take SO LONG to decide what their going to do!), and suddenlly blurted out: "How long is a turn?". Of course the store manager standing behind me says: "3 phases: movement, shooting then assualt, I thought you've been playing for 2 years!".

What I'd actually meant was: if you were 'there' and witnessed one movement/shooting/assualt phase in real time how long would it be? And so how long would a battle be?

Answears please!:wacko:

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
i like to think of turns as the same time so id say some pathfinders moving in the devilfish up to them diembark and aim and shoot it takes about 10 mins the chaos plague marines take about 40 mins cause there walking up there to respond they shoot and assault the pathfinders so that turn was about 1 60 mins and the pathfinders had about a 20 min turn

·
Unhinged Hobo
2,341 Posts
I'd say a player turn in real life action is about the same as ten or twenty seconds. It makes games seem really short when you consider them like this but try to consider how long it would take you to run down the ramp of a tank, aim and shoot. It's tricky as this means actual battles last less than a minute but the rate of casualties is much higher than in real world battles.

·
Registered
594 Posts
You also have to consider that in a real scenario, the Assault phase would be much longer. Entire squads of Marines and Orks dont obliterate one another in 10 seconds. I'd estimate that between equally matched, moderatly sized squads, an assault would last at least 1 minute, more for larger squads or when multiple ICs are involved (to account for epic duels).

Also the game doesn't represent the scale of things very well. In one shooting phase, i'd estimate a single Marine would get off a few dozen bolter shots, but would realisticly only hit with 1 or 2 (hence, marines shooting 2 dice worth of shots in Rapid Fire).

A game seems to be a highlight reel of the battle, cutting out the boring parts where a squad of Guardsmen sit in cover for five minutes before charging. My estimate is that a full battle (lets say 1500 pts) would take anywhere from 15-45 minutes real-time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts