Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys so i play ultramarines and ive always liked tiggy at the moment i have him sitting back with my plasma devs, using divination.
and its pretty good..but im finding that it is situational..so im due to play against a mainly khonre demon list with blood thrister and fateweaver and i can see that the divination isnt really going to help that much..

so what powers do you guys think are best against demons and why?

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Telepathy.

The leadership based powers like Dominate are particularly painful against Daemon troops, which tend to have LD 7, meaning they only pass 55% of LD tests they are called on to take--that's a 45% chance they won't be able to move, compounded with another 45% chance they won't be able to charge. For a block of 20 Daemonettes or Bloodletters or Plaguebearers, that may well be fatal.

Daemons tend towards mid/low LD in general: LD7 footsoldiers, LD8 Heralds, and LD9 greater daemons. Since they ignore most traditional morale, this is usually geared towards their Instability checks, but you can punish their troops with Psychic Shriek and the like.

Just be forewarned: Terrify will have no effect on them, since they don't have Fearless, but still ignore normal Morale checks.

Psychic Shriek isn't that useful against a FMC, since you still have to roll to hit--I'd honestly say sticking with Divination's Prescience as a force multiplier giving you more hits is generally the best way to go.

The trick against powerful models like Bloodthirsters and the like is their finite number of wounds and middling-high toughness. Throw enough at it and it'll stick. The thing is, don't split your fire: putting a few wounds on Fatey and a few wounds on the Thirster means you still have two utterly nasty FMCs flapping aobut. Ground one of them, then pulverize that one. Preferably one that doesn't have Grimoire currently affecting it, but if the 'Thister is the one carrying the Grimoire, he can't benefit from it himself, meaning there would have to be a Daemon Prince carrying it--a squishier target than a 'thirster, definitely!

Psychic powers, though. Prescience is fun, as is Misfortune if you get it on the first roll (before swapping to Prescience). Invisibility would be nice--make his 'Thirster hit on 5s, hah. Dominate, as mentioned before. Psychic Shriek, perhaps, though Fateweaver and any Flesh Hounds (of which there are liable to be many, in a Khornate list) would be Denying that sort of thing often.

(as an aside, consider breaking your Tacticals into combat squadded bite-sized nibbles that the Bloodthirster will tear through on the turn he charges. If the 'thirster kills the entire combat squad he charged, you are free to blast him to bits on the ground during your shooting phase)

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well that kinds what i was thinking...keeping prescience and using my other 2 powers else where.
once i get rid of the 20 blob hounds i should be right..im thinking like..reroll saves + orbital bombardment-on the hounds. that should kill a few.. un reliable but hey

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
S8 is nice for doubling out hounds, definitely. Hounds are just so damn fast, cheap and tough for their points is the problem--an Orbital Bombardment killing a few isn't going to do more than thin the herd against a blob of 20 of them. If you can, pre-empt them and steal the charge, taking away their bonus attacks and Furious Charge bonuses--their downside to all those plusses is that they basically have a marine statline in melee (two wounds & attacks aside) with a crappier save and no fancy wargear to back that up... a dedicated melee unit will chew through them without too much difficulty.

Of course, for SM, a dedicated melee unit would pretty much mean Termis (ooh, S8 IDing all the Hounds!), who basically boil down to "Bloodthirster candy, mostly dead before they can strike."

Massed S8 shooting, I guess.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts