Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm torn between two very similar lists, can't decide which one to buy.

List 1:
Flyrant, devs
3x Tyrant guard, crushing claws, adrenal glands
Tyranid Prime, rending claws, miasma cannon, flesh hooks
5x warriors, rending claws, deathspitters, barbed strangler
28x hormagaunts
28x hormagaunts
2x zoanthropes
2x venomthropes
2x venomthropes
3x biovores

List 2:
Flyrant, devs
5x warriors, rending claws, deathspitter, barbed strangler
28x hormagaunts
28x hormagaunts
2x zoanthropes
2x venomthropes
2x venomthropes
2x biovores
1x2 carnfexes, 2x scything talons, adrenal glands.

The only difference between the two is list 1 has tyrant guard and 1 extra biovore, while List 2 has 2 fexes and only 2 biovores. Based off the models I have, list 2 is a significant amount cheaper (money) than list 1, but I really think the tyrant/hive guard kit would be nice for all encounters magnetized up. I can't decide, so is one a huge amount better than the other?
-Arcticor

·
Registered
467 Posts
So I'm torn between two very similar lists, can't decide which one to buy.

List 1:
Flyrant, devs
3x Tyrant guard, crushing claws, adrenal glands
5x warriors, rending claws, deathspitters, barbed strangler
28x hormagaunts
28x hormagaunts
2x zoanthropes
2x venomthropes
2x venomthropes
3x biovores

List 2:
Flyrant, devs
5x warriors, rending claws, deathspitter, barbed strangler
28x hormagaunts
28x hormagaunts
2x zoanthropes
2x venomthropes
2x venomthropes
2x biovores
1x2 carnfexes, 2x scything talons, adrenal glands.

The only difference between the two is list 1 has tyrant guard and 1 extra biovore, while List 2 has 2 fexes and only 2 biovores. Based off the models I have, list 2 is a significant amount cheaper (money) than list 1, but I really think the tyrant/hive guard kit would be nice for all encounters magnetized up. I can't decide, so is one a huge amount better than the other?
-Arcticor
Here are my initial thoughts.

As for list 1
Having a tyrant/hive guard kit magnetized is a good idea but I don't think hive guard are all that great (actually, I think they are pretty impressive in CC, had 2 take down a Imperial Knight a few weeks ago), however they are pricey point wise and just thinking off the top of my head that brood probably runs 225 (if that is with claws and glands on each, not sure if you put claws on all 3). That is almost enough for 2 fexes which will damage vehicles just as well (if not better) and are a bit tougher. Unless, you are planning on specifically putting them with the Tyrant (which I have considered and seems like a decent strategy) to achieve a 2+ jink (venomthropes) on a unit that you essentially walk up the field. Then they might be worth it over fexes.

Either way, its a pretty solid purchase but perhaps could wait.

Next, I'm not sure how I feel about the miasma cannon. On paper it seems decent but then in reality, its really expensive and the rest of your unit of warriors probably don't want to be shooting at the same targets that the miasma cannon does. Also, for it's points, a Biovore does a much better job. Maybe it does, but I think you would be better off with another warrior rather than the cannon. I don't think its worth the points. I think you are much better off running him with a death spitter or lash-whip bonesword.

As for the rest of the warriors. I would almost be tempted to run a couple of them with talons rather than deathspitters to A)save points and B) get more attacks/have them in front so they take the first wounds. Warriors are gonna die, might as well let the cheap ones dies first.

Moving on, your hormagaunt squads may be too big. Large squads are really good if A) you don't want them all in CC so you're holding back to win CC on their turn, B) going for disordered charges or C) you really think that many gaunts will die. I would take those 10 points saved from those deathspitters and go to a squad of 30 and break that down to two squads of 15. This also helps as hormagaunts may be our fastest troop choice and thus can get to objectives faster and secure them. Also, 15 is enough to win combat (hell, against weaker targets with shittier saves, 10 is enough). Then I would split the 28 gaunt squad into 2 14. The other benefit here is that a unit with a ton of dakka (say a full fire warrior squad with Cadre firing 36 some odd shots). There is a possibility that could wipe a whole squad of 28 guants, but it can only target one squad at a time so if you're going to lose 14 guants max. Wyverns, Whirlwinds, Tacticals, everything that can kill a ton of gaunts in one round of shooting will do less damage when they can only target one squad. In my opinion. Also, this allows for a smaller weakened squad to charge first eating the overwatch for a bigger squad to charge in.

With this, you now have 5 Objective Secured troop choices so it may be worth it to make your armies 2 Primary detachments. I personally like my venomthropes as single squads as it allows me to cover more units. I also like my zoans as single units so that they A) don't both get caught in CC, B) get more psychic powers and you get more warp charge dice, and C) can spread around your synapse more.

Finally, I also think biovores can be a bit better when split into seperate broods. Again, so not all of them can be targeted at once and also because if the first barrage completely misses you still have 2 more shots to try and hit with. Which I've never done the math on but it seems like better odds in my head. Though at least with a single brood if you hit once you usually get a lot between the 3. Your choice. Additionally, if you dropped the miasma cannon and the tyrant guard here you could take 2 single units off fexes. Which I think would add a lot to your list. Kind of a liability in big Guns never Tire though.

Personally, I like the second list a lot more and you could still run dual charts to spread the love if you liked. I find carnifexes really good in 7th. It's hard to kill tanks and recently I've been facing a lot of AV 13 walkers and my other MCs were just not cutting it. But fexes surely were.

Of course I'm just some dude on the internet and if you like something you should play it and make it work for you. You have a better idea of your playstyle and strategy then I do :)

Also, you know you're probably gonna buy it all eventually anyway... So might as well start with the cheaper stuff so you can play a list you like sooner. Then buy the hive guard/tyrant guard box later :)

Sorry for the long rant, been thinking a lot about my own nids lately and have been playing a lot so had a lot to say.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
great post...my only comment would be if this is not a WAAC list throw in a mawloc..they are fun to play..cause deployment issuses and can do some pretty good damage when the deep strike..pretty crap in combat but still fun

·
Registered
467 Posts
great post...my only comment would be if this is not a WAAC list throw in a mawloc..they are fun to play..cause deployment issuses and can do some pretty good damage when the deep strike..pretty crap in combat but still fun
I would second this suggestion. I don't actually like Mawlocks but I'm just about done painting mine and it is a really cool model to build, paint, and look at. It is also my understanding that they are pretty good and a lot of people are using them lately.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I would second this suggestion. I don't actually like Mawlocks but I'm just about done painting mine and it is a really cool model to build, paint, and look at. It is also my understanding that they are pretty good and a lot of people are using them lately.
they have always been..well in my opinion underrated..just becuase the have small attacks and a low weapon skill..but they are a great annoyance unit..ive always run 2 in my lists and they have always done a good job...but the main reason i use them is i simply dont like "shooty" nids..

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
woah, lockeF, thanks! Here's what I've come up with, I have 10 points left over. I'd normally just spend the 10 points on 2 more gaunts but I own 17x hormagaunts currently. If i buy 40 gaunts that'd put me at 57, one above the 56 listed. If I go up to 58 i'd have to buy a whole nother box, which doesnt really seem cost-effective, soooooooo yeah. Anyway, the list:

Flyrant, devs 230
Prime, lashwhip bonesword, deathspitter, flesh hooks 155
5x warriors, 2x claws/deathspitter, 2x talons/deathspitter, 1x claws/barbed strangler 195
28x hormagaunts 140
14x hormagaunts 70
14x hormagaunts 70
2x zoanthrope 100
2x venomthropes 90
2x venomthropes 90
2x biovores 80
2x carnifex, adrenal glands 270

I figured with the warriors if I were to cheapen 2 to die first I'd still like them firing deathspitters, so I dropped them down to talons/deathspitters rather than claws/talons. I figure I won't miss the 2 rending claws too much seeing as the prime now has LWBS. I see your point with the smaller hormagaunt broods, idk how it'll sit with my tau and eldar heavy meta, so I just put 2 squads of 14 and a squad of 28 for now. Just to see what happens. But the major thing is what do i spend 10 points on?
-Arcticor

·
Registered
467 Posts
woah, lockeF, thanks! Here's what I've come up with, I have 10 points left over. I'd normally just spend the 10 points on 2 more gaunts but I own 17x hormagaunts currently. If i buy 40 gaunts that'd put me at 57, one above the 56 listed. If I go up to 58 i'd have to buy a whole nother box, which doesnt really seem cost-effective, soooooooo yeah. Anyway, the list:

Flyrant, devs 230
Prime, lashwhip bonesword, deathspitter, flesh hooks 155
5x warriors, 2x claws/deathspitter, 2x talons/deathspitter, 1x claws/barbed strangler 195
28x hormagaunts 140
14x hormagaunts 70
14x hormagaunts 70
2x zoanthrope 100
2x venomthropes 90
2x venomthropes 90
2x biovores 80
2x carnifex, adrenal glands 270

I figured with the warriors if I were to cheapen 2 to die first I'd still like them firing deathspitters, so I dropped them down to talons/deathspitters rather than claws/talons. I figure I won't miss the 2 rending claws too much seeing as the prime now has LWBS. I see your point with the smaller hormagaunt broods, idk how it'll sit with my tau and eldar heavy meta, so I just put 2 squads of 14 and a squad of 28 for now. Just to see what happens. But the major thing is what do i spend 10 points on?
-Arcticor
I'll save you from reading the big block of text by just saying I like your list and think it could do really well against either of those armies if played well. The block of text goes into this into more detail and gives some tips so if you like, read it, if not then this paragraph is sufficient to reply to your post. For 10 points I would grab a thorax biomorph for the tyrant. It would be best to do more gaunts but it is stupid to spend the money just to use 2 (though eventually you'll probably want more). I have about 60 and usually don't run all of them but I'm still tempted to buy the giant Tyranid battleforce thing (already owning 60 termagants, 30 gargoyles, and 7 fexes).

Over all I do like the list. I'm playing my first game against pure eldar on Wednesday so sadly I don't have much to comment on facing them besides my theories of how to deal with them. However, my roommate plays Tau so I've played against Tau many times. In my experience this list should do decent against Tau. Biovores will do great against their infantry (I assume the same will go for Eldar infantry). However, I feel you'll have trouble catching their tanks and big MCs. I almost always try to ignore riptides as they don't do too much damage to me and they just take forever to kill. I guess your rending claws and bone-sword is the key to winning that fight. If played right I think you could fairly easily kill a Tau player. If you're lucky and get paroxysm you can reduce the riptides to BS 1 or 0 fairly easily which will help a lot. Hormagaunts can deal with crisis suits with relative ease. Hammer heads will come down to either your carnifexes or warp-lances which kind of sucks as they will most likely be on the edge of the other board. Additionally, decked out missile broadsides will be deadly. They have the ability to wipe out hormagaunt squads easily and put wounds on your flyrant - even without skyfire. I would focus on killing those fist, then riptides, and then the tau player should be crippled. :)

Hope some of that helps.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
woah, lockeF, thanks! Here's what I've come up with, I have 10 points left over. I'd normally just spend the 10 points on 2 more gaunts but I own 17x hormagaunts currently. If i buy 40 gaunts that'd put me at 57, one above the 56 listed. If I go up to 58 i'd have to buy a whole nother box, which doesnt really seem cost-effective, soooooooo yeah.
-Arcticor
dude what is your address I will mail you 3 of my hormagaunts & the packaging will protect them. trust me

no joke

message me

1 - 9 of 9 Posts