Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I make all of the local store's terrain, and I'd love to have some stuff that isn't necessarily "blown to bits" but models can still interact with. Stuff like the warehouse, for example-- I'd love to see how you did the interior, support the roof for removal, stuff like that.
I actually made wood trusses and held them together with horizontal bracing, like a real roof. I just didn't attach them to the walls and the overhang of the eaves nicely handled any ugly gaps.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
#11 T in the Road
... and that brings me to my current piece.

1. Started with a layer of 3/4" foam glued to 1/4" plywood base, added rough drawing.
2. Cut out an area for a pit at the end of the T and another area for the power supply, as the pit will be lit from underneath.
3. Using a wood rasp, I textured the base.
4. Added initial basing consisting of coffee grounds, homemade sawdust flock of different sizes glued down with PVA colored with Raw Umber and water mixture.
5. Decided the piece was off balance and needed something. Lamp Post - pen tube post, twisted wire stand-off and a sculpey made light fixture that was left over from the warehouse. Wired it up for an LED.
6. Both lit areas work :so_happy:
7. Various GW barrels and bits to dress out the pit. Strands from a natural fiber Sisal rope added in clumps as reeds/grasses.
8. Painted everything up and headed to the shop to pour the resin in the pit ... toxic stuff that resin is.
9. Close up of the pit with the resin poured.
This is where it stands ... mostly finished.
Comments, Criticism and Questions welcomed.
Thanks,

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Oh god... I somehow missed this gem of a blog...

This takes some insane modelling skills man, it's drop dead gorgeous! Have a nice big cup of rep, very deserved because this has to be most awesome scratch build table I've seen so far...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Thanks for the comments and the +rep :biggrin:

Still have plenty of pieces to go, and with my idea of the swamp terrain tiles, I need to incorporate a number of "Open Ground" pieces to facilitate larger forces. I hope to make some decent progress on this endeavor this year along with getting some of my army painted with the 2012 Army Painting Challenge ... oh ... and today is April 1st ... time to get my next squad ready.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
#12 Isle in the Channel

Starting my next piece. This one will proceed slower as its just starting vs. entered into the PLOG nearly done.

This will be a "T" tile for my water channel. It has a small isle which will be accessible with a footbridge, as well as a dock and parking area (in case a road tile gets butted up against it.

Initial Sketch:

Tonights Progress: 3/4" Extruded Foam on 1/4" plywood. It now has a stack of books on it while it dries overnight.

Comments, criticisms and other ideas welcome.

Thanks,

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
What do you use to glue your insulation foam down with? It looks like PVA to me-- check out caulk. It doesn't set any faster, but it's MUCH more durable, in my experience. In my building boards for the store (I've built around 20 tables, I think, although the majority are just flat and textured, with modular terrain), I found I had to focus on durability over visual appeal in some cases, and I have yet to have anything that's been caulked be damaged either from use or other groups' negligence/attempted vandalism.

Also, what kind of base wood are you using? I've tried all sorts of stuff, and I haven't found a type I'm really happy with that's a good mix of cost efficiency and quality which doesn't warp horribly.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
I use what's typically known as Luan or premium floor underlayment. It's about $20 U.S. for a 4' x 8' sheet. I use it in cabinet backings (I'm an amateur carpenter on the weekends) as it stains up real nice.

For terrain use, I will paint both sides of it to keep it from warping and weigh it down when gluing. Afterwards I haven't had a problem at all.

Indeed it is PVA that I use ... Elmer's Glue All, not to be confused with the Washable variety ... that stuff is crap. I had once used the washable variety by mistake putting my basing down and when I went over it with a watered down acrylic my basing started coming up ... I think I just threw the thing in the trash, along with the glue bottle.:angry:

Caulk is an interesting alternative. Are you talking paintable, silicone, ...

To date, I've had good luck with PVA. Haven't had any separation between board and foam and if you rough up the surface before putting your basing on, it won't chip up. It will chip up if you only give it that flat surface to adhere to and someone makes their tank do a doughnut on the piece grabbing at bits of basing.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
The terraforming continues ...

I've removed the books and textured the foam with a wood rasp.

Then took a mixture of 50% PVA / 25% Raw Umber Acrylic Paint / 25% water and sealed the foam ... then I flocked it with used coffee grounds as my first layer.

Now I have to wait for this to dry for a couple hours or so ... I usually wait overnight.

Maybe I'll start painting my Fire Warriors for the April Challenge?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Thanks for the +rep and comments. Its always good to hear that efforts are appreciated. And please feel free to point out or suggest anything that might be improved upon.

Tonights progress.

Started with drybrushing the coffee grounds with a mix of burnt umber and raw sienna. Added Sawdust flocking on top of this.

While this was drying, I constructed the dock out of coffee stir sticks that were stained gray.

Completed dock:

I weathered the dock with an X-acto:

Put it in place and added coffee grounds and sawdust flocking:

Added the guardrail. Crimped Aluminum on basswood dowel:

Reverse Angle:

Overview of where it stands tonight:

Still another layer or 2 of basing to go, then water and ...

Comments, criticisms and other ideas always welcome:victory:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Finally able to put some time into this now that Easter is over.

Painted the water area black then stippled greens and added directional lines. Added mud by using gloss acrylic medium and then I painted the existing basing with green washes and drybrushes and added reeds/grasses made out of bits of sisal rope.

Comments, criticisms and other thoughts welcome.

Thanks,

21 - 40 of 44 Posts