Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings fellow Heretics.

I've been poking around the site for a bit now and even decided to join the Army Painting Challenge for 2012. While contemplating a Plog for that endeavor, I thought I'd share some of my work on the other side of the hobby ... Terrain.

The following pieces are those that I've made in the past year or so and then I'll pick up with a WIP on my current piece, and go from there.

#1 Swamp Scape

All items are scratch built.

·
Registered
616 Posts
That is some fantastic terrain Thumper. The swap pieces are amazingly lifelike amd detailed. The warehouse is stunning.

Is this for gaming or do you have another hobby? The warehouse is too cool to let gamers around! :grin:

+Rep for the inspiration and detailed terrain.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you sir.

The terrain I create is for my home table, where I play mostly 40k with my sons, and friends. "Ham-Fisted" gamers are chastised immediately!:ireful2: I cringe at the thought of bringing it to my FLGS.

The Warehouse was fun to make and the top is removable, and is really cool when playing kill teams ... otherwise, it's a HUGE LOS blocker.

I have a small diarama to share depicting my game table, but the attachment upload tool is still angry with me.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This stuff is VERY well done. I'd love to see a step-by-step of something in progress sometime!
Many thanks!

I still have WIP pics for everything I've posted, so if there is something specific, I'd be happy to post an explanation along with some step by steps pics.

I am planning on posting some WIP pics of my most recent piece, yet to be posted, so that may answer some questions.

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Many thanks!

I still have WIP pics for everything I've posted, so if there is something specific, I'd be happy to post an explanation along with some step by steps pics.

I am planning on posting some WIP pics of my most recent piece, yet to be posted, so that may answer some questions.
I make all of the local store's terrain, and I'd love to have some stuff that isn't necessarily "blown to bits" but models can still interact with. Stuff like the warehouse, for example-- I'd love to see how you did the interior, support the roof for removal, stuff like that.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
sorry for more questions, but.....

what do you use for the water effects? what do you use to keep the water effects in place while they dry?

thanks

khrone
Happy to share my techniques ... not planning on selling terrain ... I put too many hours in to get a decent wage at it:laugh:

Water effects are Castin' Craft clear resin tinted a blue'green. This is done over a black base with stippled greens and yellows prior to the pour.

... as far as keeping it where it needs to be, painter's tape (I use blue). Resin will not stick to the sticky side of the tape. Beware that you seal any foam you have used in your piece that will come in contact to the poured stuff ... It will eat the foam:ireful2:. I use PVA to seal my foam ... mixed with the appropriate paint color for the basing and a little water.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts