Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been wrestling with the Witch Hunter codex for some time, looking for a way to field an inquisitor who is either actually useful or a minimal drain on resources in order to take an assassin or orbital strike. A while back I ran across the Throne of Judgment (the model, that is), and found myself wondering if it didn't fit the bill. 205 points is quite a lot, however, and with T5 and no eternal warrior an instakill is a possibility. He certainly appears more cost effective (and actual effective) than an IL with similar loadout (a regular IL with the same retinue and gear would be 196 and not have the superior stats and monstrous creature characteristics), but more cost effective than an ordo hereticus inquisitor lord is rather like saying braver than grotts: true, but not exactly helpful. Does anyone use him?

·
Angryman
4,304 Posts
I am no expert but have a small inquisitorial force. I was intending to run the throne of judgement as an inquisitor in a dread. The instakill on t5 is still pretty remote as there aren't that many s10 weapons out there. He is basically a chaos dp with 2+ 4+saves. I rekon give him a try even though he is pretty expensive. But everything in the Codex is expensive, particularly transports.
Also, you can get an assasin into the force using only an elite inquisitor.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I've only used him once, but he was a blast. A Mulit-Melta that you can fire on the move is nothing to be sniffed at if the Mech Meta has reached your neck of the woods and he isn't too much of a slouch in CC either. Karamazov stomped around the battlefield, SM Bolter shots, and even some Plasma if I recall (it was years ago) spanging from his Throne. He only died because I got into a fight with a SM Librarian (his Jump Pack ment I couldn't keep away) who Force weaponed him to death- I did, however, forget his 4++ Rosarius save, so he might have kept going.
I think if you look at him as a WH Monstrous Creature, he can give you a bit of an edge- but I wouldn't count on him to be a game-winner on his own.

GFP

·
Mad Mek
313 Posts
I have been using him for a while now; and I personally like him.

He has mostly been worth his points and more. Not just destroying things himself, but as a pretty resilient fire-magnet (he keeps th fire off the arcos or the SoB transports as he slowlyadvances across the board (.. my run or difficult terrain rolls are never great), a denial tool (people tend to (rightly) be wary of that TL MM and S6 +2d6 pen CC.), allowing special support (I have a "meh" Vindicare and Arcos).

He gives me a different mechanic and dynamic from my pure SoB.

However, He is slow, seen from everywhere, and very delicate to the likes of Wraithlords (where his 2d6 bonus is no use). He can take his chances against Dreads and is not easily bogged down by rank & file.

But just 1 Land raider will recoup his pts.

Definitely give him a try. His support needs to be thought about. I try to keep a squad of Sob close by if he pops a heavy transport (to thin the counter-assault before it hits him.
He usually survives with still 1 wound left, a has endured a lot of attention (but law of averages balances out with a couple of .... "hello .. goodbye!"

Plus aesthetically ....... he looks the part and is a great centre-piece.
Good luck
:drinks:

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback. Started assembling it: pins and pins and pins (I have longstanding issues with my penitent engines falling apart so I'm taking no chances). Should be interesting to paint, though I'll have to decide on a color scheme.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There are two considerations there: is it worth buying? Then whether you like the model or not is a big deal. Is it worth putting in an army? That is where the 'win/lose' question comes in. I have 2 penitent engines because I love the model. I hardly ever use them because there are game play problems (less with the PE themselves than with the fact you have to take a worse than worthless priest in order to take them). I owned, but had not assembled, the Throne of Judgment when I asked the question, which I did not make clear, so answers relating to whether it was worth buying (as opposed to putting in an army) are perfectly valid.

·
Registered
206 Posts
If u really like the model then, in my opinion, its not a bad idea to buy it, then go ahead and give him a few test games to see if he's going to be an effective part of your strategy

·
Eastern Potent
2,654 Posts
sorry, I'll rephrase, It isnt your place to tell him what exclusives to consider. I.e telling him the "the only thing thing that matters" bit.

·
blahblahblahblah
6,663 Posts
sorry, I'll rephrase, It isnt your place to tell him what exclusives to consider. I.e telling him the "the only thing thing that matters" bit.
but when a competetive gamer says something along the line of "the only thing that matters is making your points back" thats acceptable?

but heck since its my opinion and the poster wanted peoples opinions (otherwise you wouldn't ask), me saying the only thing that matters is if you like it, does have its place, and I'll stick to it, better than being one of those twats that just says "no he is shit because I said so".

·
blahblahblahblah
6,663 Posts
No, and I dont remember saying that that was acceptable.
Hardly. If he plays the game to win, then thats a consideration.
if he plays the game to win, and its a consideration you say must be taken, then your basically opening the door to someone to say "the only thing that matters is making your points back", which means that must not be an issue for you.

·
Eastern Potent
2,654 Posts
Your taking my statement out of context, I said Hardly if he plays to win then that is also a consideration, in response to your statement saying the only thing that matters was aesthetics.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts