Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, back way back when I played 40K (not last edition, the one before that) the Thousand Sons had their own rules, and as I recall were a pretty badass troop type.

But it seems as these rules have been removed. And I'd like to know if they truly have, and if that is indeed the cases, how would one go about replicating the 'old' thousands sons rules within the confines of the new CSM codex?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Thousand sons have a unit in the current CSM codex? They are elites and can be made troops with the addition of a Tzeentch sorcerer. They also have AP3 bolters.

If you are referring to the old legion specific rules in the 3rd edition codex they aren't in the CSM book anymore, though you could create a tzeentch themed army around the Thousand sons unit?

THough I hate to burst your bubble but in the new codex they are one of the worst units, certainly the worst cult troops anyway as they are very expensive for something that can be made redundant with cover. They are really cool models, and I do wish they were better. By all means run an army of them but if you want a competitive list they probably shouldn't make an appearance.

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Damn, thats a shame.

what is it that makes Thousand Sons so bad?
Three things mainly:

1. Their points cost. They're just too expensive as is for what they do.
2. The only thing they can do is generate Warp Charges (since you can't rely on Warpfire powers to actually get through) and threaten Marines with AP3 Bolters because they have no options (because apparently magical constructs can't use meltas or flamers for some reason).
3. Due to a silly design choice they are Slow and Purposeful all the time (instead of say, Relentless unless the unit doesn't contain a psyker with the Mark of Tzeentch and in that case S&P).

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
What you're paying the points for, the AP3 bolters, is awful now due to nearly everything granting a cover save now.

The last couple of editions of CSM has seen 1k sons fall inferior to PMs. So, if you wanted - you could proxy PM rules and use 1k sons.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I play my thousand sons army quite regularly amongst our friends although we have home brewed rules for them which as Zion stated we make the rule

"while a sorcerer is attached to the unit this unit is relentless. if there is no sorcerer attached to the unit then they are slow and purposeful" this one house rule really brings a big change to making them viable.

we're still play testing the idea of the AS being able to upgrade mastery levels at 25pnts/lvl but must remain at least one level under the HQ sorcerer. for example a lvl3 sorcerer will allow all the AS to be upgraded to lvl 2 psykers. or if the HQ sorcerer is lvl2 or lvl1 then the AS can only be lvl1 psykers.

my thousand sons usually use a predators/forgefiends as support for them.

because of the 4++ you don't need to run from cover to cover you can just march to objectives.

but yeah under current rules they are not competitive. I wouldn't take my army to a games tournament unless I just wanted to put my army on show and have something different at the games day.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
My current Thousand Sons army uses a lot of 'Counts As' to fill the holes. It's nice and fluffy, but requires people to enjoy conversions and a good story.

I use Ahriman with Rubrics as troops, of course. Then I throw in Obliterators as 'Battle Mages' wielding warpfire, Noise Marines as 'Arcanite Reapers' that are channeling the warp through arcane weaponry, and an animated flying construct for a Heldrake.

I run my Thousand Sons as pre-heresy'ish... no demons.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts