Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Thousand Sons - The Path of the Wraithlord

198K views 477 replies 190 participants last post by  Rarka 
#1 ·
Alright gents, I am going to do a project log here of my Thousand Sons chaos army as it slowly progresses. I am currently finishing off a few more models in the Tau army I have and then I am devoting myself to Chaos once more. I am not going to post a list with it as I tend to use varied lists based on the same theme quite often. Instead, this will just be the space where I take pics and show off what I am doing for those who are interested. I will focus on a single model or single unit at a time so that there will be a visible and easily followed progressing to the log (not to mention keeping me focused on the task at hand and not going off on tangents all the time lol). Pics to come tomorrow of my wip daemon prince.

#52 ·
Looking very good.

I think it might help to introduce a third colour, probably white, that would contrast with the darker mid tones of the blue and gold. There wouldn't have to be a lot of this colour for it to stand out, maybe on the cloth and/or the horizontal stripes on the helmet thing.

#54 ·
Oh absolutely. The cloth is going to be done in a bone/white colouring.

#57 ·
Just upload them to a site like photobucket and copy the link to the image to here.

#58 · (Edited)
Ok new update. First pic is the one from above with the first blue coat done, second pick has the next couple layers done.

So far I was keeping the horizontal lines in the helmets steel blue and gold but I am starting to think that the gold is too much with the bronze trim as well. Tossing around the idea of going with yellow or red with the steel blue instead of the gold. Thoughts?

#60 ·
So far I was keeping the horizontal lines in the helmets steel blue and gold but I am starting to think that the gold is too much with the bronze trim as well. Tossing around the idea of going with yellow or red with the steel blue instead of the gold. Thoughts?
I don't know Wraith, I REALLY like the gold trim on the front dude's helm. Anything else may 'cheapen' the appearance. Perhaps you could try one and post the result so we can see?

Either way, I can't wait to see a whole squad of these guy completed!:eek:k:

#62 ·
Yeah I will paint one up with some red or yellow in the crest to go with the blue as a test. Never hurts to try it out first.

CAT: basically for two reasons. 2) I love the boobsnake model :), and 2) so if needed the sorc would be able to use Fleet and the 12" charge to get where he needs to be. Thanks for the compliment too.

Time for another update to go with this, 4 guys who have the steel blue finally done and highlighted and the beginning of the trim started. For the record: I absolutely HATE doing trim. Just a pain in the ass.

#64 ·
I still have 5 more Tsons to start the trim on, then probably 3 more coats of paint on the trim for all 9. Not to mention the fact that I have yet to even finish greenstuffing the champion I started. Oh and I haven't even looked at the second squad at all, champion included. Right now I am just concentrating on getting the marines of the first squad finished.

#66 ·
wraithlord, I am very interested in how u made that steel blue. If you could possibley hook me up with what colors you use to make that mix I'd appreciate it. I am also working on a t sons army, and I think your work is phenominal as well as an inspiration. Anyway thanks and keep up the excellent work!

- infamous m

#67 ·
50/50 FolkArt Metallic Sequin Black/DecoArt Metallic Ice Blue
3-4 layers of Metallic Ice Blue mixed with increasing amounts of Mithril Silver

#72 ·
No pics this time but I did try an experiment with a couple of the troop models from above. The first one I did in the slightly darker gold had a total of 7 or 8 coats of paint on the trim alone which ends up making for a VERY slow painting speed overall. I wanted to see if I could possibly cut that down a bit without losing the look of the trim and was actually successful with it. Grand total on the 2 newest models was 4 coats and looks the same from all but a foot away. Once you get closer you can see the difference (though still slight) and the blending isn't QUITE as smooth but overall it looks just fine and cuts my painting time in half.

Hopefully I will get some more done shortly and get some more pics up soon.

#75 ·
Ok small pic update. Got the trim done on another two models. Catch is that unlike the first one where I tried for the darker gold colour, the other two have been done in half the coats. Original is in the middle, the new ones are on either side. Being able to do the trim from start to finish in 3-4 coats total as opposed to 7-8 is going to make a HUGE difference in the time required to finish a full model, nevermind a full squad.

#77 ·
Let's not get carried away now :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.