Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I decided to start to play Warhammer 40k with a friend who's going to build a Space Wolves army. I decided to go for Chaos Space Marines.

I like it when my army has a concept that fit the theme so I'm looking either for a TS, DG or BL army.

Everything else apart, I like the TS better because of their history with the space wolves but I did some reading on various forum and many people seem to think that TS are not a good option because of the cover rules in 5th ed.

I would like to hear your suggestions about which army I should choose. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
The best option would be to play the Black Legion, as this lets you (fluff wise) field any unit in the codex. You can either paint them the black color scheme, or you can paint them the colors they are supposed to be.

The Black Legion fluff boils down to Abbaddon inheriting Horus's throne as Warmaster of Chaos. The Black Legion is Abbaddon's army, which includes units from the Thousand Sons, Death Guard, and World Eaters, so it is the most friendly theme if you want an army that fits the fluff because you can field any unit from the codex

·
Registered
632 Posts
Everything else apart, I like the TS better because of their history with the space wolves but I did some reading on various forum and many people seem to think that TS are not a good option because of the cover rules in 5th ed.

To be honest, i dont why everyone worriers about cover, you either get caught in the open when your transport gets pooped or you dont. Also not every battlefield is going to be packed with cover, city fight sure, jungle world sure, but desert or just a friendly game at your house i doubt it. Local touraments also suck at providing cover so dont worry about it. Go with the TS they are more fluffy than the others and fit in with your mates SW theme.

·
Halloween Town
477 Posts
My army is black legion and I love it, Like dawnstar said you can incoperate so many cult units in or infact other legions and say its the start of a black crusade! So in my eyes they are the most flexible legion in fluff respects! Although saying that if I was to start again I'd prob go with death guard! I love the forge world upgrades (infact I've got some in my black legion as plague marines!) The dreads look awesome! And I just love their fluff, esp. their fighting style or should I say lack of! But if you want to link in with the space wolves then yer TS's are prob your best shout!

·
Registered
22 Posts
go for TS if u want yhey are good. i would take DG because i like their history, they are
easy to paint, they are the best looking and plaguemarines are just so good, but TS
are better against marines because their ap3 bolts and they can take damage becase
they have inv save and finally they have sorcerer.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
currently i own a Deathguard army and a thousand sons army. both have their merits and both function in a specific way. i say go for what you want to lay and start from there.

·
Registered
941 Posts
When you first start, Black legion is a good choice because it's relativly easy to paint! Once you become a more experienced 40k player and painter, start to try new things!:eek:k:

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
and easier to learn to play the game. you're not stuck with a certain cult troop as your main choice, you can diversify.

·
Registered
468 Posts
my army is based on a black crusade where elements from many legions come together and fight so like a black legion army can fluffily ( <== spelling? o_O) use any cult troops i can also use any cult troops and later when i have enough models make a fully themed army from each major chaos legion.

Thats my eventual goal anyway :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all your advices.
Si I finally bought the Chaos Battleforce box and I'm going to start as the black legion. But as suggested when I'll get my hands on Death Guard or Thousand Sons unit, I'll paint them with their own legion color so I can eventually use them as a separated army. Thanks all!

·
Registered
941 Posts
also, the black legion employs many cult troops, so you could just merge them in! Look on page 74 in the chaos codex on how to paint them in BL colors, while still dispaying some of their cult colors!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts