Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HQ: Captain w/ jump pack, power weapon, infernus pistol & melta bomb (150pts)

Troops: 10-Man Tactical Squad w/ melta-gun & multi-melta; Sergeant w/ storm bolter, power weapon & melta bomb; dedicated transport: rhino w/ hunter-killer missile (258pts)

Troops: 5-Man Death Company w/ jump packs, infernus pistol, power weapon, power fist & thunder hammer; led by Lemartes (410pts)

Heavy Support: 5-Man Devastator Squad w/ two lascannons & two heavy bolters; Sergeant w/ storm bolter & power weapon (178)

Total Point Cost: 996pts

Do you think the devastators heavy weapon combination is decent? Or should I be going for the mix (lascannon, heavy bolter, missile launcher & plasma cannon)?

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
38 Posts
The dev squad doesn't work really... you have both anti tank and anti troop. If you want a good mix at that point level, just go with 4 ML.

Also, you have an expensive DC. Honestly at this point level, I wouldn't even take them. All your opponent has to do is lure that squad around the table as they rage in that direction. And if hes successful, then thats almost half your points not being used.

If you want to still have a jump captain, just grab a full assault squad.
Or you can always strip the pack off the captain and stick a couple 5 man assault squads in razorbacks for extra killiness.

But seriously, I'd drop the DC and try to come up with something else, which could almost be anything at this point since they take up almost half your points as it is.

·
Registered
990 Posts
The dude above is right, why mix Lascannons with Heavy Bolters? At this points level Lascannons are expensive & S8 krak/frag missile launchers do both, extra 30 odd points for S9? Nah, not worth it. Grab 4 missile launchers.

The Tactical squad is meh. You won't use that Multi-melta so swap it out for either a missile launcher or heavy bolter (missile launcher is my pick). A single Rhino won't last long. Unless you are set on this unit I'd be temped to drop it for a 5 man unit of Scouts & then get another assault squad.

Drop the DC for an assault squad (10 man, power weapon & melta bombs with 2 meltas) can do what the DC do & are better since they score & don't have rage. Rhino or packs per tastes.

Your HQ is a bit meh, it's not 'bad' but for 150 points there are better options, HQs should add something either by boasting your troops or adding abilities. Either grab a Reclusiarch (forget the DC) to give your assault squad Prefered Enemy & make them fearless or get a Librarian to give you some psychic defence & some fun psychic powers which can tailor the Librarian to whatever you want him to do (Blood Lance & Unleash Rage are fun for me).

In short, try to get 2-3 Rhino 'chassis' in there or take none at all.

Dallas

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cybernomad/Dallas_Drake,

Thanks for your feedback, much appreciated. I've tweaked the list quite a bit incorporating some of your suggestions, what do you think?

HQ:Librarian (Epistolary) w/ Wings of Sanguinius & The Sanguine Sword; Infernus Pistol & Force Weapon (165pts)

Troops: 10-Man Tactical Squad w/ Meltagun & Missile Launcher; Sergeant w/ storm bolter, power weapon & melta bomb; dedicated transport: rhino w/ hunter-killer missile (258pts)

Troops: 10-Man Assault Squad w/ bolt pistol & chainsword, two flamers; Sergeant w/ Infernus Pistol & Power Weapon (230pts)

Fast Attack: Baal Predator w/ Flamestorm Cannon; Heavy Flamers side sponsons; Storm Bolter (150pts)

Heavy Support: 7-Man Devastator Squad w/ 3 Missile Launchers & 1 Lascannon; 2 Marines w/ Bolters; Sergeant w/ Storm Bolter & Power Weapon (195pts)

Total Point Cost: 998pts

I know the Devastator box-set only comes with one missile launcher & same goes w/ the Tactical box-set. Anyone know what's the most cost effective way to get a few more missile launchers? Mail-order? What about the 5-Man Combat Squad box-set? I don't suppose there's a few special/heavy weapons loaded there right? Just the regular sprues w/ regular marines? The thing is, I'm actually traveling back to Canada soon so will be loading up everything from there. In Hong Kong, everything is sold at a premium so I rather have in mind exactly what I need to get before walking into a GW store and end up buying stuff that I don't need at the moment.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
116 Posts
HQ:Librarian (Epistolary) w/ Wings of Sanguinius & The Sanguine Sword; Infernus Pistol & Force Weapon (165pts)
Although it is tempting to fly and unleash S10 at the same turn, if the assault continues into another phase (or if you find yourself assaulted) your librarian will use Sword of Sanguinius and oops - his second power usage can only be spent for Psyker Kill - but S10 power weapon will kill most models outright, so I'm not quite sure these points are invested the best way. (or maybe I'm just a crazy fan of Epistolary+Sword+Rage+JP = "Proxy Mephiston")

Troops: 10-Man Tactical Squad w/ Meltagun & Missile Launcher; Sergeant w/ storm bolter, power weapon & melta bomb; dedicated transport: rhino w/ hunter-killer missile (258pts)
Not sure about HKM and storm bolter. Besides, storm bolter denies you one PW attack, that's no good, imho.
Are you going to combat-squad them, by the way?

Troops: 10-Man Assault Squad w/ bolt pistol & chainsword, two flamers; Sergeant w/ Infernus Pistol & Power Weapon (230pts)
They are fine as they are.

Fast Attack: Baal Predator w/ Flamestorm Cannon; Heavy Flamers side sponsons; Storm Bolter (150pts)
Enemy antitank would shoot at Rhino and at this Predator. And, after it catches "Immobilized" result, it is 150 wasted points. Also, isn't it 155pts?
So I think with such level of target saturation for enemy antitank classical TLAC+HB would be a safer option (better cover usage, better endurance for taking hits).

Heavy Support: 7-Man Devastator Squad w/ 3 Missile Launchers & 1 Lascannon; 2 Marines w/ Bolters; Sergeant w/ Storm Bolter & Power Weapon (195pts)
I think that if your devastators need power weapon in the battle - well, they're screwed fair and square. Also, Sarge has a Signum, so he should be spending his shooting phases giving some lascannon WS5, and not trying to kill anything with his storm bolter.

So, the quick summary:
1) Don't like half the Epistolary spent on the upgrade you can by for 25pts. Also, 10-man squad with Preferred enemy and S10 Libby is scary as hell. (requires some point shaving)
2) PW in tac squad denies you one CC attack, PW for Devs should never be used in normal game.
3) Devastators may benefit from Razorback with some TLLC - they don't even have to embark, but it would block LOS for your opponent, give you some extra long-range killiness, allow you to redeploy, if the need arise and draw some fire away from Rhino and Pred. (requires some point shaving)
4) First Baal in the army should be dakka, imho.
5) Baal can live without stormbolter and Rhino can live without HKM - you may find wiser investment for these points.
6) Lack of Sanguinary priests in 1000pts BA force is an insult to the codex. Try to find a way to get one for your assault squad, seriously.

For the Emperor and Sanguinius!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shwartz,

Dude, thanks for the in-depth dissection man! Much appreciated. Never thought about the Baal being immobilized. Very true, guess that's why these forums are helping.... Regarding your comment re: Devastators, thanks for reminding me about the Signum. I'll make the wargear upgrade as appropriate.

As always, thanks everyone!

·
Registered
990 Posts
I'm not sure that you need an Epistolary, just take a power you can use in their turn & a power you can use in your turn & save points.

I still don't like the Tactical squad. I'd have a second RAS anyday. I just don't see them doing anything other than combat squading & being an expensive missile launcher.

Whatever set up you go with on the Baal remember they can Scout, they can also move flat out in their scout move so I'd either rush it forward or hold it off the table if I was you. Trouble with this set up is it'll only get one shot off before it's in trouble & a Baals rear armour isn't very good. This is also why I hate that lone Tactical squad, one Rhino! Bah, forget it mate, it won't get out of your deployment, just grab two assault squads & use DOA. I'd also say that another Baal wold be nice, not sure where you'd get the points.

Bits

http://www.bitzbox.co.uk/

http://www.modelbits.co.uk/

http://www.bitsandkits.co.uk/

http://www.thewarstore.com/Warhammer40KBitz.html

Dallas

1 - 7 of 7 Posts