Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All, This is just a list i'm trying to work out, tho i don't have it all put out in points yet, i'd just like to see what peoples thoughts are on it. in advance i'd like to say i'm just a casual player with a couple friends (that being said we're not going for the be all end all competitive lists, but i'd at least like it to function well) and the idea i'm going for is a resiliant army (tho i could be thinking of it incorrectly) either way, i'd like to play one that is very resiliant if this list isn't. Thanks for any advance or direction! =) odds are we're shooting for 1500 points btw. lastly, if i need some additions feel free.

HQ
Captain
Terminator armor w/ TH/SS

ELITES
Assault Terminators x5 w/ TH/SS
-Dedicated Land Raider- Also the Captain would be with them in the LR)

Dreadnought
-TL Auto/Lascannon

TROOPS
Tactical Squad x10
-Sergent w/ Combi-Plasma (maybe do a combi melta haven't decided) and Power Fist
-1 Missile Launcher and 1 Flamer
-Dedicated Razorback w/ TL Lascannon- (and combi-plasma if i can get the bits)

Tactical Squad x10
-Sergent w/ Combi-Plasma and Power Fist
-1 Missile Launcher and 1 Flamer
-Dedicated Razorback w/ TL Lascannon- (and combi-plasma if i can get the bits)

(I'd like one more troop choice of some kind either sniper scouts or smaller tact squad, points permitting)

FAST ATTACK
Attack Bike x2
-Heavy Bolter's

Attack Bike x2
-Multi-melta's

Attack Bike x2
-Multi-Melta's

HEAVY SUPPORT
Predator w/ 3 assault/autocannons (i can't recall the pred's set up exactly but something to this effect)

I apologize this probably isn't done in a better fashion, i just didn't have the book handy at all to work it out better, but any ideas on additions or subtractions or advice in general is greatly appreciated! Go ahead and rip this noob a new one =D

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
um...for the predator, do you mean a dakka pred? HB sides & an autocannon? (85 pts)

as for the dedicated LR...i assume that its a land raider Crusader

·
Registered
316 Posts
well in vanilla SM the landraider has a capacity of 12

·
Registered
720 Posts
The list looks pretty solid. All I can really see that is a weak spot is that you only have one dread (they are better in pairs) and that you only have 2 scoring units unless you combat squad. I would def go for some sniper scouts to camp on the home objective or infiltrate and harass.

You might also want to consider at least changing the dread to either ML/LC or 2 twin-linked autos.

But it looks solid. Good hunting!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fallen yes, that's the pred I meant Ty :) and Ragnar I'll give that a try. I'll definitely work out the points and get another troop choice in there

·
Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
Right now you're over a lot on points... 1695...

Also, Bikes, while t5 aren't all that hard to kill... so I don't think they really give you resiliancy... esp since they can be autokilled by Krak missles.

Bottom line is that it's hard to REALLY make something tough to kill in the game. A land raider is tough, but it's 250 points (ie a huge chunk of your points available) and everyone has the ability to deal with them. Same with the termies.. all good lists have the ability to kill 2+/3++

So you end up with a tradeoff... tough to kill = fewer to kill (which makes it easier to kill since you can dedicate more firepower to less units) Or you can go the MSU route... it Multiple Small Units... More to kill = tougher to kill...

Regardless, the best way to keep your troops alive to to give them all a nice warm tank to ride around in...

Here's another approach to the 1700 points you listed above...
Chaplain in Termie Armor
Termie Assault Squad
2 twin Autocannon Dreads
2 Full tac squads with Razorbacks (TL Las)
3 Autolas Predators

Now as a rule, I don't run Termies at less than 1K... but to each his own.. I just don't see them doing an equal ammt of work for thier points... And having large lynchpins makes it easier for a MSU list to shut you down.

But in the list above, you've at least got 8 things that shoot every turn and the big rock unit. I replaced your capt with a chaplin cause he's cheaper and the rerolls are nice.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks alot CLT, and ya know now that you've said it out loud you're very right of course about tougher smaller units are easier to kill to a point etc etc, and i just wasn't able to figure up points well enough when i put this up but i knew around what i wanted. I'll have to try the chaplain for sure, tbh i've somewhat overlooked him. and again, i agree with you on using the termies at less than 1k is a waste. fortunately for me atm anyway, my friend and i haven't just decked out our armies w/ AP 2/3 things, tho i'd say i'm a bit ahead of him on that.

whats your opinion on a pure or near pure bike or hybrid bike army? or a mid to heavy foot marine army? and not sure if knowing this makes a difference on what you'd say, but i doubt my friends and i will get very serious about playing i.e. beyond w/ each other. and lastly (sorry i know i kinda ramble lol) i definitely took from advice you gave in an article for having multiple threats

·
Registered
220 Posts
i think you can get away with 2 full tac. squads, combat squad if needed.

doooood, do you already own the attk bikes? if so, mayhaps you plan on using what you have. if my multi melta speeder is shot at from a bolter, it's a roll of a 6 for a glancing hit. where the attk bike shot by the bolter needs a 5+ to wound, then a save.. overall i feel like the bikes are more fragile and less maneuverable than the speeder. something to think about anyway.

good luk duk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Isarofeen - nah i don't have ALL of that yet (no attack bikes for sure) but i have most of it and was planning on buying some things pretty soon. speeders i have looked at and would like to use as well, i'm just more partial to bikes between the two, tho admittedly i saw them closer to suicide units (the speeders) tho i'm sure with what you've said now that was a gross assumption maybe? xD

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I would look at changing your captain into a artificer armor, SS, Relic blade vs. term, ss, thunderhammer.
Relic Blade hits at int with Str 6
Thunder Hammer at int 1 str 8. I think the int5 is better and you dont really need another TH with a group of 5 termies w/ TH.

·
Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
I think pure bikes are the bees knees... Since most armies are geared up for dropping mech, they struggle vs bikes cause of target saturation == though long fangs will eat them... A good friend in the gaming group runs a pure biker list... he is of the opinion you need to be at 2K to have them work though... anything less and you get outshot... Even then it's a finesse army... if he makes a mistake, then I've got him... Also, we've agreed that my Space Wolf list and my IG list are not fun for them to play against (template and ap3)... His runs 5 rifleman dreads, Capt on bike, MOTF on bike and then lots of bikes... I think it can work though, but it's not "hard as nails" he took his list to NOVA and came in middle of the pack.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
here is an updated list of what i actually have atm. please let me know what you guys think. *note that odds are, the captain will be a chaplain when i get a chance. thanks in advance! and thanks for everything else =)

Vanilla Marines Army List --Iron Sentinels or Silver backs, not sure yet--

HQ
Captain (148 pts) 1 Total
-Power Weapon, Artificer Armor, Storm Shield, Storm Bolter
*Note: He’ll be apart of the Terminators in Land Raider, if able

Elites
Assault Terminators (450 pts) 5 Total
-Dedicated Land Raider
*Note: They’ll be inside

Sternguard Veteran Squad (175 pts) 5 Total
-2x Veterans w/ Missile Launcher & Multi-Melta
-Dedicated Razorback w/ Heavy Bolter

Troops
Tactical Squad (280 pts) 10 Total
-Sergeant w/ Power Fist and Combi-Plasma
-2x Marines w/ Missile Launcher & Flamer
-Dedicated Razorback w/ TL Lascannon (I’m working on moding for Lascannon & TL Plasmagun, but they cost the same regardless so I just added it)

-Dedicated Razorback w/ TL Lascannon or Lascannon & TL Plasmagun (same as above)

Heavy Support
Predator (85 pts)
-Autocannon w/ Heavy Bolter sponsons

Predator (85 pts)

Total Points: 1503

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Your Sternguard have an odd mix of heavy weapons, other than that, solid.

·
Registered
185 Posts
here is an updated list of what i actually have atm. please let me know what you guys think. *note that odds are, the captain will be a chaplain when i get a chance. thanks in advance! and thanks for everything else =)

Vanilla Marines Army List --Iron Sentinels or Silver backs, not sure yet--

HQ
Captain (148 pts) 1 Total
-Power Weapon, Artificer Armor, Storm Shield, Storm Bolter
*Note: He’ll be apart of the Terminators in Land Raider, if able

Elites
Assault Terminators (450 pts) 5 Total
-Dedicated Land Raider

Sternguard Veteran Squad (175 pts) 5 Total
-2x Veterans w/ Missile Launcher & Multi-Melta
-Dedicated Razorback w/ Heavy Bolter

Troops
-Dedicated Razorback w/ TL Lascannon (I’m working on moding for Lascannon & TL Plasmagun, but they cost the same regardless so I just added it)

-Dedicated Razorback w/ TL Lascannon or Lascannon & TL Plasmagun (same as above)

Heavy Support
Predator (85 pts)

Predator (85 pts)

Total Points: 1503
Why, oh why, would you have the SG inside a Razorback? They cannot fire their weapons from inside and if you disembark them they have moved thus the heavies cannot fire. Secondly, if you are going to use heavy weapons in the SG, make them the same so they have a dedicated role. A ML and MM combo lacks synergy as they have different ranges.

Save the points on the artificer armor and power weapon on the captain and go for a relic blade. The storm shield already means you are not getting +1 attack for 2 cc weapons and the STR 6 from the relic blade makes life easier when killing things.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts