Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some models that need painting and I've been thinking I like yellow. The allied detachment is pretty much what's available, but I would appreciate any advice. The only new toy I've been thinking of acquiring is the Hunter/Stalker tank. That thing with an ADL and an IF tactical squad would be nice in my fight against air attacks. Here it is:

BA Primary:

Captain w/JP, PA, PS

Priest w/JP, PS

RAS w/2x MG, DP w/LB

RAS w/2x MG

SR w/TLLC, TLMM

IF Allies:

Libby w/TA, ML2, SE, Staff

Terminator Assault w/3x TH/SS, 2x LC

Tactical squad w/bolters, SB on sgt.

Fortification:

ADL w/QG

I'm thinking that the Libby with the Terminators DS onto the DP's LB and run amok. The Shield Eternal is so cool. Not sure what powers I should go with in an assault role though. Assault terminators because to me, IF smacking things with hammers makes sense. I'd like to have more bolters to take advantage of the Bolter Drill trait, but I don't have many options at the moment. Tactical squad kicks it behind the ADL backed up by the incoming SR if the QG fails to deal with a Heldrake coming in. Also thinking of making an ICL for this role, which would be better against AV12 and free up 15 points for whatever.

Whaddaya think?

·
So be it.
1,901 Posts
Captain w/JP, PA, PS
Am I reading that right? PA and PS? Interesting idea... I really like the LC/PF combo, though that is 10 points more. I think my goal is to, at some point, make it work in a game. Anyway.

If you didn't have ML2 on the other libby I'd suggest making your captain one, but that works. I do like the synergy between the pod and the termis, but I would caution that the pod will then be a pretty high-priority target, and if they do scatter bad things could happen. I would also argue that 12 guys with JPs isn't going to do a huge deal - you'll have to use them very well at the very least.

Keep in mind too that you have 38 (assuming 10 Tac.) guys a raven and a ADL at 1500. That's it. Each guy is super valuable, so you're going to have to play very efficiently.

I'm not a huge fan of termis, though I do like that they don't need the LR. What I don't like is that the enemy has a turn to gun them down/assault them first...

Speaking of which, how many tactical marines is this?

Finally, if you aren't going to be using bolter drill, you may want to consider another chapter (despite the IF's awesomeness). This is a pretty solid list though, just struggle a little bit with hordes etc.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Am I reading that right? PA and PS?
You sure are! Check out July's Conversion Deathmatch winners to check him out. Kitbashed the fuck outta that model. I absolutely love using him.

I do like the synergy between the pod and the termis, but I would caution that the pod will then be a pretty high-priority target, and if they do scatter bad things could happen.
Oh, I am aware...but so far it's worked out. My main opponent basically only goes for it when he absolutely has to even when I tell him it has a LB on it (which I always make a point of saying, though not necessarily who is making use of it). I've used it to follow the DSing RAS with my second JAS to further Melta-fuck this dude's armour....which there is a lot of.

Keep in mind too that you have 38 (assuming 10 Tac.) guys a raven and a ADL at 1500. That's it. Each guy is super valuable, so you're going to have to play very efficiently.
I've won with half as much. Wanna see that list?? :laugh:

Very valid point though.

I'm not a huge fan of termis, though I do like that they don't need the LR. What I don't like is that the enemy has a turn to gun them down/assault them first...
There will be many shots, but that's what 2+/3++ from the SS is all about. I won't be dropping them in front of a squad of Chosen with MGs, that's for sure.

Speaking of which, how many tactical marines is this?
10. Apologies.

Finally, if you aren't going to be using bolter drill, you may want to consider another chapter (despite the IF's awesomeness). This is a pretty solid list though, just struggle a little bit with hordes etc.
Basically, I rarely face hordes. If I did, I would swap out the JAS's MGs for Fs and HFs. Bolter Drill is pretty much only coming into play with the Tactical squad, but eventually there will be two ten man squads. I would prefer to play allies at 2k, this is a first musing at 1500 since that's what I play the most frequently.

I gotta get/make a damn ILC turret. That thing is just more effective against AV12, eventually I would like to replace the ADL with a Hunter tank since I face typically 3 fliers in a match. Or use the Hunter behind an ADL w/ILC and an IF tactical squad. Either way I'm thinking SB on the sergeant and bolters for the squad, with potential HB/Grav upgrades.

Thanks for the comment!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts