Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone explain to me what a riflemen dread is exactly? somehow i imagine this is a slang for one of the 3 available to vanilla marines, anyone mind helping here? apologies if this seems a "noob" question. i searched a little for the answer but i didn't find it just yet so i thought i'd ask. thanks in advance.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah ok, thank you guys so much, lol sorry for asking. i know it seemed silly. thats the typical dreadnaught build people use tho or does anyone use other styles? (from what i hear i know its just the standard dread, but i meant weapon set up's really or are the others good enough?)

·
Registered
141 Posts
I personally run a PC/CCW dread, which can kill just about anything at any range. The rifle dread is superior at ranged combat, and I could scarcely think of a better way of providing basic fire support for your infantry. Plasma cannon/autocannon are both S7, so it comes down to user preference (plasma scatters, but blast and AP2; auto twin-linked).

·
Premium Member
6,544 Posts
I've always found dreadnoughts are best suited for anti-tank duties. They're mobile platforms for heavy weapons, so you can react easily to your opponent just moving a vehicle behind cover and out of the way of more static anti-tank elements. Dreadnoughts aren't really fast enough to keep up with transports or jump packers, so unless you put them in a drop pod (which presents its own laundry list of problems) then they're not going to be a good support unit for close combat. With all that in mind, I tend to actually leave the dreadnought at home. But when I do bring one, it's usually armed with a twin lascannon and missile launcher, or twin lascannon and close combat weapon/storm bolter, depending on points. Extra armor, regardless of what a dreadnought is armed with, always seems like a must to me, since the whole purpose of the vehicle is to provide a stable heavy weapons platform that can move and continue to support your squads. If it's not moving, it's not doing what you paid for it to do.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
That is one good thing about dreads vs preds. Dreads can move full distance and still fire off those guns.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Rifleman dreads are x2 autocannons (you can get the cannons from forge world for aboput £7 an arm). there are a few more types such as the what i call the "suiside Dread" whis is oftne a melta dread in a pod and is desined to take out that 1 tank and then try and live to do more damage or re-direct fire away from the rest of your army

·
blahblahblahblah
6,663 Posts
Rifleman dreads are x2 autocannons (you can get the cannons from forge world for aboput £7 an arm). there are a few more types such as the what i call the "suiside Dread" whis is oftne a melta dread in a pod and is desined to take out that 1 tank and then try and live to do more damage or re-direct fire away from the rest of your army
yeah....except they usually don't, 1 dread with a none twin-linked melta is probably the worst unit in the game, so many times they drop, miss.....and thats it for them, its not as if killing a dreadnought 6" from you is hard.

so usually they kill nothing, and then draw as much firepower as is needed to kill them (so a sneeze) and make you realise you probably shouldn't of wasted those points on that dread.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I'm just going to throw it in there. Timber wolves and war hawks are just so much more badass and epic than a rifleman.

OT: Yeah as said, a rifleman dread is just a dread with Twin linked autocannons or really any long ranged dread.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
...is probably the worst unit in the game...
When the day comes where I can deep strike chaos spawn I am going to laugh and laugh and laugh.

Until my monstrous piles of waving dicks are destroyed. Then I will have to launch another, and another drop pod. Waves of terrible.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts