Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellow wargamers!

I haven't posted here before but there seems to be a ton of information here.

Anyway, I used to play 40k many many moons ago (probably 6-8 years?). I know a lot has probably changed since then, I think it was 4th edition, and I'm thinking about getting back into the hobby! I haven't had a chance to check out the new codexes and rules yet, so I don't know what has changed but I'd like some suggestions as far as what to play!

I'm thinking of Tau, Tyranids or Necrons, however I'm open to other suggestions. Assume I don't have any models any more, most of what I did have was either lost, or broken during the many times I've moved.

Let me know what you think I should play!

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
Welcome back to the meat-grinder! :crazy:

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
welcome back and yeah a lot has changed. Tau, Nids and necrons are all good armies that all have some really nice new models to play with so you should be happy with any of them.

·
Closet Dictator
3,431 Posts
Do not think about it, do it, three excellent armies you looking at there, but I like the Tau out of those three the best, lots dakka dakka

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
There is a lot more in the way of Plastic kits now and a really good range of models for the majority of armies. Any of the three armies you listed have a wealth of options and interesting units.

Let us know what you're looking for from your army (as Dave said) and we can make some recommendations.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I basically chose those three to pick from because I liked their models the most and someone once told me that the most important factor when choosing an army is to pick the one you like the look of the most.

I'm probably not going to play too competitively at least at first, mostly looking to have fun playing games at my local game store. Maybe tournaments eventually but I'd like to play a bunch of casual games first so I have most of the rules memorized.

I liked Tau because of their shooting ability and when I played last, their crisis suits were really flexible as far as weapon choices before the game, and movement in-game. When I played them before though, they would die horribly in any sort of melee fight and I had a hard time keeping people form just rushing into my positions and killing my dudes up close. Maybe I was playing them wrong.

Tyranids are basically the polar opposite from what I can tell, they're awesome in melee but still have some shooty options but aren't amazing at it.

And Necrons... well I've read that they're easy to model and forgiving as far as game play goes.

I might have a few of my Tau units still kicking around in a box in the closet, but I'm just assuming that I've lost everything and need to start from scratch.

·
Registered
186 Posts
First of all, welcome back to 40k! I myself have just gotten back into the hobby, with 4th edition being the last version I played in as well. Some of the changes can seem overwhelming at first, but its all good. It is some fun stuff that has been added.

In regards to what army you should go for, I don't think anyone can tell you which one you will like best. You gotta pick one that you will enjoy building and painting and all that. If you find your army is just work and you are not having fun putting it together, well your not 40k'ing right haha. Go with whatever tickles your fancy bud!

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I basically chose those three to pick from because I liked their models the most and someone once told me that the most important factor when choosing an army is to pick the one you like the look of the most.

I'm probably not going to play too competitively at least at first, mostly looking to have fun playing games at my local game store. Maybe tournaments eventually but I'd like to play a bunch of casual games first so I have most of the rules memorized.

I liked Tau because of their shooting ability and when I played last, their crisis suits were really flexible as far as weapon choices before the game, and movement in-game. When I played them before though, they would die horribly in any sort of melee fight and I had a hard time keeping people form just rushing into my positions and killing my dudes up close. Maybe I was playing them wrong.

Tyranids are basically the polar opposite from what I can tell, they're awesome in melee but still have some shooty options but aren't amazing at it.

And Necrons... well I've read that they're easy to model and forgiving as far as game play goes.

I might have a few of my Tau units still kicking around in a box in the closet, but I'm just assuming that I've lost everything and need to start from scratch.

Tau are very competitive in 6th. Shooting is more at the forefront this edition, which suits the Tau fine. Their playstyle is still the same (they will get mashed in CC) but they have plenty of tools to avoid the enemy getting close.

I would take your own advice and play the army you like the look of most :victory:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Welcome back to the fun. Just as everyone has said it is entirely what to like. I played daemons as my first army even though all my friends said space marines and I loved it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alright, I think I'm gonna go with Tau (again) then. I haven't decided on an army list but I have some ideas from looking at army lists others have posted here. So I think my first purchases are going to be some Fire Warriors and Pathfinders. Planning on using these dudes to figure out what I want my army to look like, then once I got that worked out, I'll grab a Broadside or Riptide because. I'll flesh out the army list later but for now I'm just thinking about what would be fun to assemble and paint.

Thanks for all the advice guys! If you guys have any "oh man, you should totally buy <insert unit> to start with" type advice, I'd love to hear it!

·
Registered
102 Posts
I came back into 40k back when I was about to junk a load of old wargames figs. Then my little 8 year old daughter found some original Nids, so I got back into it as she wanted to play with dad. She's now just turned 21 and in the meantime she's amassed the best part of 12 000 points of Nids and I went mad with Astra Militarum 19 000, Tau 12 000, Necrons 6 000, Space Marines 6 000, Blood Angels 5 000 and I'm just starting traitor/chaos.
In fact even my wife has around 4 000 Orks and 2 500 of Nurgle
So,be careful, this may happen to you!
As for what army I'd advise for you? If you are a good painter - Tau, otherwise Necron

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
With Tau, I'd advise a solid core of Fire Warriors and Pathfinders to start. I know that my melee armies absolutely hate it when the enemy are getting triple-shot rapid fire from an Ethereal, so you may want to consider throwing that in.

The obvious starter buy is a Riptide. At least one, though if you field multiple some players may give you dirty looks and mutter "WAAC" under their breath. Tough as nails, and though it tends to nova zap itself, it'll win you some serious games.

A DSing Crisis team with twin-linked plasma is a great way to nuke a monstrous creature (as long as it isn't a T8 Wraithknight) or squad of marines somewhere.

Some anti-air is useful, and Tau have plenty of ways to get that. Broadsides come to mind...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts