Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

TheHammerCast: Episode 4 ELDAR

At last, show #4 is finally finished! Our first foray in the exciting realm of 40k! Two top US players dissect the mighty Eldar from top to bottom. As always, we strive for the highest production value around! Many thanks to all those who have contacted us via email, your response has been gratefully received. All feedback is appreciated! [email protected].

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
I'm sorry, I tried listening to this, I really did... but I can only take so much "I take cheap farseers... maybe with 3 powers and stones" and "you kit out all your warlocks differently for wound allocation purposes?" (Warlocks being single wound models) before I have to stop. Maybe it's just the American way of talking or something, but I just can't listen to that for over an hour.

Good luck with your future productions! :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm sorry, I tried listening to this, I really did... but I can only take so much "I take cheap farseers... maybe with 3 powers and stones" and "you kit out all your warlocks differently for wound allocation purposes?" (Warlocks being single wound models) before I have to stop. Maybe it's just the American way of talking or something, but I just can't listen to that for over an hour.

Good luck with your future productions! :)
Not a problem. Kevin from the show here. We understand that not everyone is into the more technical aspects of the game and thats fine. We started the podcast because we wanted a show that stayed focused on Warhammer and didn't spend 30 minutes to an hour discussing the hosts personal lives.

Also as a note, even though warlocks are single wound models, it is useful to have them different for wound allocation purposes. Example, council with 6 members takes 19 wounds, one model will be rolling 4 saves and the rest will be rolling 3, now it is entirely possible for some of those warlocks to fail 2 or more of their saves while others make all of theres, thus reducing the overall number of casualties taken.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Eh... I wasn't talking about "technical" aspects of the game... I was talking about complete grammatical and logical fallacies - A "cheap" Farseer does not have 3 powers and stones, he has 1. To illustrate:

Farseer with Doom: 80 points - Cheap for a HQ
Farseer with Doom and Fortune and Stones: 130 points - Normal for a HQ
Farseer with Doom, Guide and Fortune and Stones: 150 points - Edging towards the expensive end (but not as expensive as Eldrad)

By comparison, a Farseer with 3 powers is not a "cheap Farseer". Do you see what I mean?

With Warlocks the only real benefit of gearing them differently is that you can assign the "extra" wounds to members you don't value as highly, such as ones with no powers. The chance of a given model dying does not increase just because he wasn't part of the group.

Say 2 different Warlocks get hit by 6 shots, you must assign 3 saves to each one, and you're just as likely to fail 1 save each as you are to fail 2 saves on one and pass all the rest on the other. You're still rolling 6 dice and hoping to get 3+, turning it into 2 sets of 3 doesn't change that. Another example would be having 6 differently armed models who get hit 6 times again - You are still just as likely to lose two models as you are in the first example and you would lose 2 again if they were 6 identical members of the squad. You are going to fail one third of your saves (and therefore lose one third of your models) regardless of how you roll the dice. The only benefit would be if they got hit by 7 shots instead, you could choose which one took the extra hit.

However this benefit is negligible compared to the extra cost and reduced efficiency that you are getting by buying powers/gear you don't need. Wound allocation really only benefits multiple wound models like Nobz because then you can take several unsaved wounds before having to remove any models at all, therefore allowing the squad to stay at max strength much longer.

Those are just a couple of examples off the top of my head, there other examples of it as well, but I won't go into it. I'm aware that these things aren't scripted, so you might make some mistakes or say something slightly different to what you mean. I know sometimes I say something that is obviously wrong and have to go back and correct myself! But it seems to be happening every other sentence, instead of every now and again. Like outflanking Scorpions in a Serpent - which you can't do because they don't give the USR to the vehicle and so on.

Please don't get me wrong, this is not a personal attack or anything like that. I love the fact that people are talking about my main army, and trying to do it in a comprehensive manner, and I'm sure that the 'cast will be helpful to people. I just flinch inside every time I hear something like the above, and I seemed to be flinching a lot while I was listening! :laugh:

Take it easy,

Sethis

1 - 4 of 4 Posts