Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

The Word of Aurelian

9K views 38 replies 13 participants last post by  Martok 
#1 · (Edited)

So with the new Chaos Codex now available I have been distracting myself from the more involved Minotaurs project with these guys. Ever since reading First Heretic I have had an itch to field these guys. So what better place to start then a 20 man Blob of Power Armour.

Let me know what you guys think:

and a close up of the OSL guy. I need to glaze this down a little as the colour is too much.. some dark green on the edges should bring it back in line:

Thanks for looking guys hopefully I shall have some finished shots of these soon.

- Martok

See less See more
#35 · (Edited)
Fantastic stuff so far! Great conversions, highly chaotic themes, and excellent paint jobs, etc. Kitbashing Chaos is a skill near and dear to my heart, and your work here does the Dark Gods proud. Plus I'm glad to finally see somebody else using fantasy cavalry as Bikers...

#36 ·
I had a lot of Fantasy Cav sitting in a box... it seemed rude not to... in fact most of this army (monsters aside) has been made using spares from my Space Wolf army. In fact thsi is probabaly the cheapest army I won lol.

[quote name="Apologist" post="3440488" timestamp="1377875002"]
Really imaginative conversion work, and lovely paintjobs, too. I spotted on Bloodydice that you go to BattleUX occasionally. A mate of mine goes along to that. Nice terrain at the club!
[/quote]

I do indeed! A couple of friends from different gaming groups I am involved with all came together to make BattleUX so it is fun for me as I used to plan things separately but now I can see them all at the same time.

I have been working feverishly to get these Word Bearers done. The big batch paint of about 100 models has now hit a point where I am picking up a unit at a time to finish off. Last night I managed to get the bikers to a point where I could varnish and leave them ready for a tournament this weekend.

There is a lot more work to be done on these guys but for now they are ready to shed blood for Chaos.

I have to apologize for some particularly bad pictures as these were taken with my iPhone against some letters for a white background with barely any lighting and the varnish still wet and shiny... However, they do show where I am at pretty well. When I have all the blending perfected and pigments thrown on I shall do another post to showcase the unit (as well as a post show casing each unit of the army).

The first half of the blends are done which you can see has been quite roughly applied. Once the final purple wash goes on and then the bright red highlights it should make it pop nicely.

The bases are just some rough filler thrown onto a base with some bricks and skulls from Secret Weapon Miniatures and some stones I have stockpiled.

The Plasma Gun guys are a dirty kit bash but I think the gun is sufficient for the purpose.

I am not going to lie... these guys have been a pain and I have a great deal more respect for fantasy players getting huge blocks of cav painted as there is just so much detail going on.

- Martok

#37 ·

After the tournament Throne of Lolz a little while ago I decided upon some small list tweaks. First and foremost I wanted to drop the Forgefiend who gave up First Blood i think 4/5 games.. at the same time I wanted to change the Obliterators as I was not happy with the conversions I had made. Therefore I introduce you to the Sorceror Obliterators!

Now these guys have split opinion in my gaming group with some people loving them and getting the "magic weapon" idea. However, some cant see past a mace as anything but a mace.. it is a fair point and I am considering removing the top spike of each weapon and drilling it out to give it a gun barrel of sorts... However I am worried that might ruin the aesthetic. Again any opinions one way or the other?

As these conversions use Death Wing Knights as the base model I needed to do a lot of cleaning to remove the icons and in some cases I then needed to cover up the spaces where an icon had been. As can be seen above and below I did a little Green Stuff work to add braids where the Dark Angel icon had been.

The shoulderpads for the most part I used WFB Chaos Knight shoulder pads as these are hands down one of my favourite conversion parts for 40k Chaos Marines... or pretty much any marine. I am always keeping an eye on bits sites restocking these. They add a gothic and brutal appearance to the model that would take a great deal of work to create myself.

The pads are great BUT they are hard to find as they sell out on bits sites very quickly. Therefore I used some Plasticard to make some pads of my own... not the best photo to illustrate..

It is worth noting I have left all of the Sword Icons on the Oblits (and they are noticeable on a number of my Word Bearers). I decided to use these to represent ritual blades as they have become a prevalent theme for the Word Bearers in the Heresy books.

Finally I had a crazy fun game on Sunday that went from me being 8-2 up on KPs to 8-8. Needless to say it was impressive. Above is a pic of a challenge from my Chaos Lord the Thresher of Souls against Mordrak. The Murder Sword came up trumps in that instance :)

- Martok

#38 · (Edited)
i love those chaos deathwing knights,the hooded heads fit that "evil that lurks within" feel, i'm toying with the idea of converting that boxset myself for my BT's when i eventually get back home to paint again :( its been months since i was able to sit at my painting desk.

Why does life have to always get in the way of hobbying :( oh well only 2 months of working away left to go and when i get home ill have 10 Square meters of foamboard and all the correct tools for making a gaming board waiting for me and my son (providing he hasnt started without me o_O)

#39 ·
Sometimes it is good to have these breaks. When you get back everything is ready to go whereas when your consistently working on stuff you always seem to be waiting for a part for a tool or the right weather to varnish etc etc.

Funny you should say that about the hooded look.. my idea is to use some OSL to give an warp glow under the hood. These guys are up to no good!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.