Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have finally begun my Chaos Space Marine project. After reading the Black Legion Codex and firmly changing my mind about Abaddon being a failure, I simply had to make my CSM as a Black Legion Warband with attached mercenary and allied forces from other Legions. My warband consists of the following;

20 Chaos Space Marines
10 Chaos Raptors
1 Chaos Lord
1 Warpsmith
1 Sorcerer Terminator Lord
5 Chaos Terminators
2 Chaos Rhinos
1 Heldrake
10 Noise Marines
3 Chaos Bikers

At the moment I am only working on a single squad of Chaos Marines, following the style shown in the video How to Paint Black Legion by ApatheticFish, which has been very useful.

Partially assembling the models, those that carry Chainswords have them attached, with all shoulderpads and gun arms left on the sprues to be attached when the model is complete, I began with a coat of Vallejo Black for the basecoat and primary colour. Some Codex Grey on the joints, pipes and the underplate of the Bolt Pistols after that, and some Coat D'Arms Chainmail on the teeth and handle of the chainblades. I then put a coat of Ushabti Bone on the horns and skulls. Then I put a coat of Balthasar Gold on the edges of the armour and arms, which once dry I will follow with Reikland Fleshshade Wash, then a coat of Gehenna's Gold and finally a highlight of Auric Armour Gold on the sharp edges and top parts of the gold. After that I will put a Nuln Oil wash on the joints, pipes and silver parts of the weapons will be next. Then a red highlighted with Wild Rider Red will be used for the eyes, hair and tassels, and the covers to the chainsword blades. Then some Eshin Grey edging on the backpack to break up the black.

And finally some Agrellan Earth for the base and hopefully i'll be finished.

I will post some pictures of the squad once they are finished. Hopefully this will work out and I will have an ideal to achieve for the rest of the models, except those that will be in different colours. The Raptors will be done as a Night Lord Raptor Cult and as mercenaries being paid to fight with the warband they will not display Abaddon's colours. The Noise Marines will be done in pink and purples with a single black and gold shoulderpad, the Warpsmith in Iron Warriors colours with the black/gold shoulderpad, and finally the Sorc Lord in Thousand Sons colours with the black/gold shoulderpad. Check back here for more pictures hopefully coming soon.

For the Warmaster!

LotN

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
A nice start. I look forward to seeing more of this project as it progresses.

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The first squad is finished. Most annoying part: Assembling the f**king meltagunner and flamer. But the paint job has turned out nicely;

This first squad is armed with chainswords and bolt pistols for display purposes, but game-wise all 20 of my CSMs carry Bolters/Chainswords/Bolt Pistols, so the second squad will be entirely armed with bolters, and i'll swap a few of them around so that each squad has a roughly equal amount of both. The Aspiring Champion stands out with a trophy rack containing a dead Space Marine's head, which I used Coat D'Arms Light Blue and Moot Green to paint, along with Codex Grey for the neck and exposed wire, while the rest of the trophy is either Ushabti Bone or Coat D'Arms Magic Metal which is a stunning dark bronze.

Mechrite Red with a drybrush of Wild Rider Red was used for the topknots and tassels, while only a single dot of the latter was used for the eyes, while for the gold a three-layer style was what I favored. A coat of Balthasar Gold, two if necessary, then a coat of Gehenna's Gold, again two if necessary, then a light dap of Auric Armour Gold on the most raised parts of the model to give it a shiny look.

The pistols were painted in Codex Grey then Mithril Silver on the lower plates while the raised plates were done in Magic Metal, Balthasar Gold highlight on the arrows/skulls/etc. For the flamer the tank was painted with Fire Dragon Bright while the melta was painted the same way as the pistols.

The Icon was painted with Magic Metal on the pole and star while the Guardsman skull was painted with Moot Green for the helmet, Ushabti Bone for the skull and Mithril Silver for the aquila. The banner was painted with Xereus Purple with a highlight of Genestealer Purple while the star was painted with Screamer Pink and then a layer of Pink Horror. The other squad's banner will be done in reverse, a pink flag and purple star. This represents the warband's primary devotion to Slaanesh, though the CSMs do not bear a mark and in-game carry the Icon of Vengeance, which this represents but with a touch of Slaanesh to it.

And in between every second stage of so I went over the models with some Vallejo Black to erase any extra lines or smudging or mistakes.

Next up will be either some Chaos Raptors in Night Lords colours or some Black Legion Terminators devoted to Nurgle, in addition to the Heldrake which I will be starting today.

LotN

1 - 3 of 3 Posts