Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all... been a while since the city daemon showed his face once more.

id like to know more about the void dragon. ive heard tells that the void dragon is an overpowered c'tan lord. other rumours point to him being the machine spirit itself... enlighten me :)

·
Embrace the Insanity
1,159 Posts
I think what you mentioned is pretty much all we know about the void dragon. Oh and that he is kept on Mars somewhere deep underground.

Also, hasn't it been awhile since you showed your face around? Haven't seen any posts from you in awhile.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wow... is that it? they like to keep him in mystery, dont they? damn... i really wanted to learn more about this.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Yeah, the Void Dragon is either a full C'Tan or looots of C'Tan Void Dragon shards (going by the new Necron lore). I guess he bummed around earth for a while until the Emperor chained him up and bound him on Mars. The Mechanicum would arise during the Age of Strife, and because of the Void Dragon's influence, would found around the concept of the Omnissiah. The Emperor then showed up on Mars, where most of the tech-priests saw him as an aspect of the Omnissiah. Basically, the Emperor used to the Void Dragon to create the Mechanicum (to ensure that his crusade would be well-equipped) and bind the tech-priesthood to his will. The Void Dragon essentially is the Omnissiah, but not strictly as the Mechanicum interprets it. There have been implications that it feeds off the life-force of tech-priests via their augmetics.

The VD hasn't done much since then. There's a small movement of tech-priests that believes the Omnissiah dwells beneath the surface of Mars, but they're in the minority. As we saw in "Mechanicum" there's a secret lineage of guardians to make sure it stays locked up (though apparently the book containing all the info on the Void Dragon and the grand lie of Mars has been taken sometime in the 10,000 years since the Heresy). And there was also that incident where 3 Necron ships were able to get into the Solar System undetected, and one even managed to land on the surface of Mars before being destroyed. It's pretty much taken as a given that they were seeking the Void Dragon.

·
Registered
97 Posts
This thread makes me wonder: what happened to the old four ctans?

Have they been Matt warded too?

Ventris and Pasanius fought vs what kind of entity in their first novel?

·
Super Moderator
10,976 Posts
This thread makes me wonder: what happened to the old four ctans?

Have they been Matt warded too?

Ventris and Pasanius fought vs what kind of entity in their first novel?
The entities encountered in those books are now assumed to have been C'tan shards.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
The Void Dragon was supposedly one of the more powerful C'tan (or C'tan shards now). He was able to consume many of his fellows. He has an influence over technology.

During the War in Heaven the Blackstone Fortresses (star killing weapons) were created to destroy him. They failed to do so, though did weaken him.

The Void Dragon or one, or several of his shards rested on primitive earth where it was encountered by a young emperor who defeated it and imprisoned it on mars to lay the foundation of the Mechanicus. It's implied that the influence of the slumbering void dragon is partly responsible for the formation and theological direction of the Mechanicus.

Some of the Mechanicus, having obtained infroamtion of the necrons and the c'tan worship the Void Dragon as the 'true' Omnissiah- the Machine God. This faction has been declared heretics by the orthodox Mechanicus.

Recently a group of Necron shroud class cruisers managed to land briefly on Mars, their purpose unknown. It's theorised they were attempting to aid/rescue the Void Dragon and may have teleported something to/from him.

·
Registered
638 Posts
In the HH Book Mechanicum, when:

I'm thinking that, like everyone's instinct to want the grand story of 40K to progress by having the Emperor awaken, die, ascend to godhood, fade away into nothing, etc. actually addressing the release or awakening of the Void Dragon on Mars would be too cataclysmic of an event. Quite literally a 40K game changer.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'm thinking that, like everyone's instinct to want the grand story of 40K to progress by having the Emperor awaken, die, ascend to godhood, fade away into nothing, etc. actually addressing the release or awakening of the Void Dragon on Mars would be too cataclysmic of an event. Quite literally a 40K game changer.

Except now he's a broken pokemon-like shard.

Thanks Ward, you true friend.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Here's my understanding of the situation.

The Emperor, before the Age of Strife, captured the Void Dragon (or many shard of the Void Dragon) and trapped them in the caverns beneath Mars.

The Void Dragon is one of four surviving C'tan after the War in Heaven (they were split into shards around this time, I believe). Only four are left as The Deceiver convinced The Nightbringer that other C'tan were very tasty; The Nightbringer tested this theory and then went on a munch fest with his kin. The four remaining C'tan before being broken into the shards were; The Nightbringer, The Deceiver, The Void Dragon and The Outsider.

The Void Dragon seems to exhude some influence to sentient beings which makes them more innovative and proficient at creating new technology; the Emprah discovered this, hence the trapping. The colonies of mars began to create much more powerful technologies which the Emperor used to power humanity into their holy crusade across the galaxy. As the people of Mars did not know what this thing was that was empowering them with knowlege and inspiration, the Void Dragon became dubbed as the Machine God and they are now essentially worshipping a C'tan god who has no choice but to inspire new, great technology. The technology which contains the Void Dragon is itself a phenomenal feat.

Necron flyers translated in-system right into Mars and spent quite some time flying around the caverns of Mars; it can be presumed they were looking for the Void Dragon.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i knew of the history between the deciever and the nightbringer... however, this is the first i have heard of the outsider...

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
The Outsider is a C'tan who went insane after consuming his fellow C'tan. In the Eldar mythic cycle he was tricked to do so by the Laughing God. he was then incarcerated in a dyson sphere.

And that's all we know.

There are some half baked fan theories that the Outsider created or is controlling the tyranids but it's dubious to say the least.

·
Super Moderator
10,976 Posts
There are some half baked fan theories that the Outsider created or is controlling the tyranids but it's dubious to say the least.
They are absurd. The c'tan are not warp based entities, the warp is anathema and imperceptible to them. It makes no sense that a c'tan (shard or no) could integrate itself into such a psyker oriented race, especially one so fundamentally opposed to what the c'tan themselves represent.

Necron flyers translated in-system right into Mars and spent quite some time flying around the caverns of Mars; it can be presumed they were looking for the Void Dragon.
Quite some time? I do not believe a time frame was ever given. Their breach of the Martian defenses could have lasted mere seconds for all we know.

Except now he's a broken pokemon-like shard.

Thanks Ward, you true friend.
I didn't realize there was a pokemon that could annihilate solar systems.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
They are absurd. The c'tan are not warp based entities, the warp is anathema and imperceptible to them. It makes no sense that a c'tan (shard or no) could integrate itself into such a psyker oriented race, especially one so fundamentally opposed to what the c'tan themselves represent.
I've always felt the Old Ones, psychic masters of bio-engineering and whose survivors fled the galaxy (unless you buy into the Slaanesh turning the last survivor into an entire race known as the Umbra but then again they easily could have created the Tyranids before then), created the Tyranids whose various swarms coincidentally come from outside the galaxy.

They knew that in essence they gave birth (or empowered if you believe the whole chaos has always existed even before the concept of time, reality, etc.) to the Chaos powers by creating many psyker races.

So perhaps as a last ditch effort to cleanse the galaxy and start over, they created a race with one gestalt consciousnesses that would yield to nothing but its own hunger and possessed none of the emotions of their previous creations.

I have no proof at all, it's simply conjecture but unless CoTe comes along to shut my theory down, I can't recall any fluff that can disprove this idea of mine.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have no proof at all, it's simply conjecture but unless CoTe comes along to shut my theory down, I can't recall any fluff that can disprove this idea of mine.
well, it never hurt to come up with your own theories, especially when there is so little data in the first place about asid subject... and thats what i like per say

·
Super Moderator
10,976 Posts
i've always felt the old ones, psychic masters of bio-engineering and whose survivors fled the galaxy (unless you buy into the slaanesh turning the last survivor into an entire race known as the umbra but then again they easily could have created the tyranids before then), created the tyranids whose various swarms coincidentally come from outside the galaxy.

They knew that in essence they gave birth (or empowered if you believe the whole chaos has always existed even before the concept of time, reality, etc.) to the chaos powers by creating many psyker races.

So perhaps as a last ditch effort to cleanse the galaxy and start over, they created a race with one gestalt consciousnesses that would yield to nothing but its own hunger and possessed none of the emotions of their previous creations.

I have no proof at all, it's simply conjecture but unless cote comes along to shut my theory down, i can't recall any fluff that can disprove this idea of mine.
I've been saying this for years!

·
Registered
197 Posts
I've always felt the Old Ones, psychic masters of bio-engineering and whose survivors fled the galaxy (unless you buy into the Slaanesh turning the last survivor into an entire race known as the Umbra but then again they easily could have created the Tyranids before then), created the Tyranids whose various swarms coincidentally come from outside the galaxy.

They knew that in essence they gave birth (or empowered if you believe the whole chaos has always existed even before the concept of time, reality, etc.) to the Chaos powers by creating many psyker races.

This could explain why an entire tendril of a hive fleet chose to go dormant rather than land on a Necron tomb world...

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Quite some time? I do not believe a time frame was ever given. Their breach of the Martian defenses could have lasted mere seconds for all we know.
There was a time frame given. Only one of the ships managed to land on the surface (descending as fast as possible) and was vaporised in seconds.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts