Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this asked elsewhere but wanted to ask it here.

Is there any fluff basis for Non Astartes to use Drop Pods as a method of deployment or is it a SM thing exclusively due to the PA aspect?

·
Super Moderator
6,993 Posts
To my knowledge, such a thing is extremely limited at best. In Warrior Brood (as cringe worthy as a fair bit of the book is, there are some decent elements) the deathwatch team reaches the planet by drop pod with a non astartes member. One of the harnesses is heavily modified so that the force of re-entry and then violent backlash of retro-thrusters, and then the impact of landing, does not kill her.

And even after that, she nearly (or does, I forget) blacks out from the ordeal.

·
Registered
152 Posts
A potentially viable non-Astartes use of drop pods might have been the genetically modified troops during the Great Crusade (e.g Geno Five-Two Chiliad).

·
Registered
152 Posts
Damn, Legion was a great book, eh? Though those dudes seemed to have sharper senses, not necessarily any stronger/more resilient to gravity or resistant to bodily pressures.
You got that right about Legion. Who know about the troopers though? Maybe they had stronger bones and slightly different blood that would have helped them cope with a drop pod.

And glowing eyes. The hell is the point of being a genetically modified soldier if your eyes can't even glow.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
You got that right about Legion. Who know about the troopers though? Maybe they had stronger bones and slightly different blood that would have helped them cope with a drop pod.

And glowing eyes. The hell is the point of being a genetically modified soldier if your eyes can't even glow.
I was under the impression they were gene modified, not as much as SM but better than the average grunt.

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Once upon a time Sisters used to get access to drop pods for use on the table.

I can't recall for sure but I think Inquisitor Silas Hand and some Sisters used a Drop Pod to land on a planet when they were investigating some Chaos. I'd have to find my copy of Daemonifuge to know for sure though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts