Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After seeing Jurassic World in Newcastle today I took a walk down to the local Travelling Man to see if they had any pencil-line paintbrushes in. They didn't but before I left I took a moment to look at the BL books and see what they had, and surprise surprise sitting right there was a copy of The Unforgiven by Gav Thorpe, not even available on BL yet!

Grabbed it along with copies of Fall of Macharius and Curse of the Phoenix Crown (3 for 2) and will start it as soon as I finish The Dragons of Heaven by Alyc Helms. Will also review and post some thoughts here once I do.

Absolutely pleased as hell over this.

LotN

·
Registered
247 Posts
BL's marketing and scheduling are incomprehensible. :crazy: Good for you, though! Please let me know if Ezekiel does anything other than talk and act as Truthsayer.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Is it the one after Master Of Sancitity ?Very interested in what will happen to Cypher since he handed himself in.
Though I hate how Gav Thrope portrays Marines or just DA in general, he makes them all look retards who have never seen a daemon or a chaos marine and know nothing of outside world. Felt like they were just teenagers in power armor. Read Ravenwing for worst examples.

·
Registered
180 Posts
No thanks. I refuse to read any Gav Thorpe writes. It is shockingly bad.
I got my hands on some of his stuff that had been converted to audio dramas and played them whilst working on the PC at home. They were so bad I got a letter from the council saying the neighbours had complained.

Hang on. WTF? cypher handed himself in? no, come on. What is he going to right next? who the 19th and 20th primarchs are? some things are sacred.

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hang on. WTF? cypher handed himself in?
He has a reason. And it's a bloody good one.

171 pages in so far and the novel is proving quite good. Cypher's presence has really thrown things into a curveball for the Dark Angels, and some rather interesting surprises have occurred, including one that I will now reveal as it confirms something that has been hinted at for a while now; (This has no real bearing on the novel's story, it is simply something mentioned off-hand that has significance for a character from another series.)

LotN

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Finished The Unforgiven just now. Quite a good book and one that nicely brings all the characters full circle, and has plenty of great battle scenes and plot surprises that the reader will enjoy.

But that ending.... OH. MY. GOD!! I NEVER saw that coming. EVER. That reveal near the end propelled this book from Very Good to Great in my eyes. And because of the magnitude of this reveal, and out of respect to Gav Thorpe for this bold move, I will not reveal it here. You'll have to read the book to find out.

Review coming soon.

What happened to the Death Guard and Typhus? Why Cypher surrendered himself? Who dies - please!
The Death Guard and Typhus both play important roles in the book, and Typhus actually appears in the final third. Cypher surrendered himself for a very good reason; read the book to find out that reason. Some characters die, some do not, same as any book really.

Is there a void battle? Is it a good one? Which ships died - full spoilers please
There is a very big void battle, and it is really really good yes. No ships of note die though, just nameless ones. Lots of them though.

LotN

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
I'll never read the book - But I am curious about the reveal.

Could you pm it to me?

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry gentlemen, but you'll have to read the books, or wait for somebody else with an early copy who will spoil it.

LotN

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Now that sounds epic. I am starting to wonder if this is the opening shot for the 40k end times that have been hinted at. After all Cypher being in the hands of the Dark Angels have been unthinkable for many years.

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Now that sounds epic. I am starting to wonder if this is the opening shot for the 40k end times that have been hinted at. After all Cypher being in the hands of the Dark Angels have been unthinkable for many years.
It isn't. Cypher being in the hands of the Dark Angels has a reason that while definitely momentous, is not the opening salvo of the 40k Time of Ending. As for it being unthinkable, the story references this and reveals something quite amusing and surprising on that subject.

LOtN

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Small things like this I will answer.

Does he unsheathe the Lion Sword?
No. And the novel very plainly shows that Cypher doesn't just not unsheath the sword, he can't. Nobody can. Except for one man...

LotN

1 - 20 of 54 Posts