Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Nice community you have here! I'm looking at returning to 40K or WFB after a 15 year gap. Not sure which I'll try first, but I've bought both rulebooks. The new Warhammer book is a visual feast, and I've spent more time reading the backgrounds than the rules (not to mention admiring the art).

I'm tempted with a Skaven army for WFB, but I know someone with a 2000 pt Orc & gobbo army for sale, and they sound fun. Island of Blood will no doubt be a good Skaven starter set, but I'm worried Skaven will become the army of choice for most players and I like to be different.

I'm quite interested in the Necrons for 40K, having read the tactics they sound interesting if limited. I don't think the "Undead" theme fits in well with 40K, but the more I read the more I can forgive them. I'm also keen on a Chaos 40K force but I don't understand why GW split the Daemons from the Marines. I would have preferred to have a single god Tzeench or maybe Slaneesh army, but again that limits tactics and troop choice.

I've done a lot of reading over the weekend and I'm no closer to any decision! Anyway, thanks to everryone who has posted up hints, tips and tactics that I've scoured; I'm much obliged!

Cheers
Stuart

·
Angryman
4,304 Posts
Welcome to heresy.
Not sure about the skaven as i am a 40K inly player. However the warriors of chaos line is magnificent.

Personally I am a fan of chaos but the new dexes (demons and csm) were a bit of a dissapointment over the work of genius that was the previous one. However csm are still very competitive(got my ass handed to me by csm's yesterday using guard) and can be heaps of fun. Demons, not so sure, I have the dex but it is the models I like the most(soul grinders and juggernauts in particular). As for the necrons, they are damn cool and if I had more room(and money) I would have a go at them too. However they are supposedly getting an update soon so if you go for them I would stick with the plastic models as they are unlikley to change in a big way. Hope this helps in some way.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome Shaantitus, see you've been busy greeting all we n00bs!

The advice is much appreciated too, I'm leaning toward a Emperor's Children force now. Not the cheapest army to build (the GW EC pack is an odd mix of marines and noise marines without enough weapons for a proper NM squad), but I think the end result will be a force that can be fluff friendly but reasonably competative too.

Not planning on making any moves just yet, I'll carry on brushing up on all the rules just now!

Cheers
Stu

1 - 4 of 4 Posts