Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may have missed a bit of fluff somewhere, but how did Fabius have the sword to torture Cassander, and around the same time Erebus got it and broke it into several pieces? The last I had read Horus gave it to Fulgrim, who in turn gave it to Fabius. How did Erebus get it back?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Anathame

Fulgrim allowed Erebus to take it.

But the Emperor's children eventually regained one of the anathame shards created by Erebus.
When did Fulgrim give it to Erebus? I do not like Abnett's writing (and refuse to read him), so I assume it had to be in one of his books.

I must have missed a bunch, what book do the Emperor's Children get one of the shards?

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Maloq Karr was given ONE of the shards of Erebus. But he lost it as he ascended to daemonhood, and Remus Ventanus picked it up.

On a related note. In the Tallyman 40k Story, Marduk and a few of his gang finds themselves teleported to Calth after escaping the Garden of Nurgle. Marduk remembering it from the Horus Heresy. I cant shake a feeling that he is looking for the shard held by the Ultramarines.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Very foolish, considering how big a part his books play in the HH series. You may as well not read the series at all.
Can't stand Abnett's writing, I go to this board and others and get a review of what happened in whatever garbage he wrote so I can follow the over all HH. The only book of his I will read is if he does any of the attack on Terra, other than that you couldn't pay me to read him. "Legion" is easily the worst book I have ever read.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Can't stand Abnett's writing, I go to this board and others and get a review of what happened in whatever garbage he wrote so I can follow the over all HH. The only book of his I will read is if he does any of the attack on Terra, other than that you couldn't pay me to read him. "Legion" is easily the worst book I have ever read.
Let me guess, Grahams books gets you dropping pants everytime...

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not the point of my post, but ok.

My favorite author is Aaron.

The level of stupid that was "Legion" I am not a good enough writer to put into words. Most of the traitor primarchs had tragic falls. Alpha Legion took the short bus to corruption. I am not an Alpha Legion hater, I liked them in "Deliverance lost". I respect Thorpe because he had the back drop of Dan's brain farts and still managed to make a good book.

It annoys the hell out of me that this "perpetual" thing will end up being part of the final story. I just hope that like in "Deliverance Lost" a better author can take the reigns and not write a story that is as moronic as most of Abnett's crap.

That being said. I will give the man a bit of credit. The one good book he did do was "Horus Rising". It was the first book I read from HH, and Loken is a great char. Kudos to him for coming up with that. I also read "Know no Fear", and while I got sick of his writing - he did have his moments (I liked the Eldar thing).

I have also read "Legion", and I am thinking about suiing him because I want those hours of my life back.

-

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Not the point of my post, but ok.

My favorite author is Aaron.

The level of stupid that was "Legion" I am not a good enough writer to put into words. Most of the traitor primarchs had tragic falls. Alpha Legion took the short bus to corruption. I am not an Alpha Legion hater, I liked them in "Deliverance lost". I respect Thorpe because he had the back drop of Dan's brain farts and still managed to make a good book.

It annoys the hell out of me that this "perpetual" thing will end up being part of the final story. I just hope that like in "Deliverance Lost" a better author can take the reigns and not write a story that is as moronic as most of Abnett's crap.

That being said. I will give the man a bit of credit. The one good book he did do was "Horus Rising". It was the first book I read from HH, and Loken is a great char. Kudos to him for coming up with that. I also read "Know no Fear", and while I got sick of his writing - he did have his moments (I liked the Eldar thing).

I have also read "Legion", and I am thinking about suiing him because I want those hours of my life back.

-
In DL Corax became Indiana Jones and Alpharius had a talking fishbowl IIRC in a secret wooden chamber aboard his ship.

There is no comparison between Legion and DL.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Then why not just read synopses online and spare yourself the pain while still maintaining knowledge of key plot developments?
For the same reason anyone reads a book. I like them. I do not like Abnett, but he is not the only author. If all of the HH books were written by him I would stop reading them.

As far as talent goes, I think he should be flipping burgers somewhere. My fish tank could come up with better plots.

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
That attitude is holding you back from great books like Prospero Burns and Know No Fear. It's very blinkered to let just one book taint the rest of a writers work in a particular series.
Reading synopses online will never fill the gaps you're missing.

I'm wondering what you thought of Horus Rising, the book that started it all? Surely you enjoyed that one, or you wouldn't have read Legion if you found his writing so repellant.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Zooey72

I respect Thorpe because he had the back drop of Dan's brain farts and still managed to make a good book....... It annoys the hell out of me that this "perpetual" thing will end up being part of the final story. I just hope that like in "Deliverance Lost" a better author can take the reigns and not write a story that is as moronic as most of Abnett's crap.
Really? Are you on drugs?

Have you been drinking a lot?

In what Universe Thorpe's prose became better than Dan's correct, stylish, smart, strict, and without errors writing?

Is your second best writer a Nick Kyme?

And 'Fear to Thread' with 'Battle for the Abyss' - are the best HH novels to date for you?

Right?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
"First Heretic" and "Thousand Sons" are the one I liked the most with "Fulgrim" being a close 3rd (and I never liked the Emp's Children until than).

"Deliverance Lost" was not my favorite book, but it was a save from Abnett's brain farts. The "Indiana Jones" part of it was not the thing I liked the most, and will admit it was a bit stupid. It was a stretch to say the Emperor couldn't shut down that stuff, or for that matter why put it there? Wouldn't the safest place in the Galaxy be in the Palace?

That being said I liked how the Alpha Legion spies didn't know a damn thing. They had a mission and any past life that they may have had didn't matter. Some even felt a bit of remorse for what they were doing because the Ravens Guard was their adopted legion. It didn't stop them from doing their duty, but it was cool. I liked the smack talk that Alpharius had with Horus and how he made the all powerful Warmaster nervous (if they can infiltrate them, how do we know we are not being infiltrated?) The blood thirsty way Corax killed that Word Bearer who was interned (who very well could have been a loyalist) showed how crazy I5 had made him. That craziness later showed itself in the fact Corax thought "oh man, dad made these astartes all wrong... I can do it better".

The fish bowl thing I never liked but took it with a grain of salt because the Cabal concept was forced on him from Abnett's brain fart of "Legion". Even that though had some great merit to it... not the fish bowl, but how they corrupted the Gene seed was warp tainted. It shows Alpha Legion putting one foot in the grave as far as falling to chaos.

Those are just off the top of my head as good points to that book. Hell, I really liked Corax telling Dorn to go piss up a rope if he thought he was going to leave his few remaining warriors on Terra as some kind of reserve for Dorn's Legion. The way that the newly made Raven's guard both corrupt and pure were noble (and what that later means for Corax and his promise to the Emp).

"Battle for the Abyss" was meh to me. I think the best part of that book was the turmoil on the loyalist side. They only knew for certain that the Ultramarines were loyal because it was their ship that the Word Bearers attacked. Everyone else looked at each other with a big "Your primarch is a traitor". I also liked the Emotep 1000 son getting information from that Word Bearer after the Space Wolf couldn't beat it out of him. The ending was predictable (we all knew they would kill the Abyss). Not a great book, and I won't read it again - but it wasn't a waste of time to read it. I have more respect for that book now after getting further into the series and reading how Lorgar's kingships are going to play a major role.

The only 2 books I have not read from Abnett are "Prospero Burns", (70 pages into it I could not stand it any more) and "Unremembered Empire" (didn't even try although I guess there was some revealing fluff in it). I read "Know no Fear" because it is an important part of the Heresy and it wasn't all bad. I do think Papa Smurf being exposed to the near vacuum of space for hours w/o dying was a HUGE stretch. The "perpetual" plot got pushed further which I never liked. And just his general writing style annoyed the hell out of me.

"Horus Rising" was his only good book, but out of the first 3 it was the least good IMO.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts