Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

81 - 100 of 426 Posts

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
And some better pictures taken with some daylight in the garage...

5th Company Strike Force; Tactical Squads Cervantes, Augustine, and Pathalus, Assault Squad Leon, Assault Squad Diodore, Devastator Squad Osannus, Brother-Captain Athos d'Elysee, Chaplain Hector Krassos, attached Rhinos, and Predator Annihilator from the Armoury.

Tactical Squad Cervantes

Tactical Squad Pathalus; Sergeant Pathalus and several troopers man the defense line.

At the forefront of Assault Squad Leon leads Captain Athos d'Elysee and Chaplain Hector Krassos.

Assault Squad Diodore

Devastator Squad Osannus, 5th Company

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #83 (Edited)
I've sadly not had a lot of time to paint much new stuff lately, since I'm in the process of opening a game store. Me, in charge of a business. Can you imagine? I hope so, because I'm going to have an online discount available to Heresy Online members! So stay tuned on that-- it's going to be epic.

Anyway, even though I haven't had a lot of time to work on new models, I've been working on photographing more things that I just never bothered taking pictures of.

So here are a gaggle of Chaplains.

And an assortment of Scouts. I have around 40 Scouts out of the roughly 100 I own painted, I think... My 10th Company is something I've slacked on because I find them borderline useless in the game. I love the models, so I never had any issue talking myself into collecting the 10th Company for the Chapter. They don't bear the Chapter icon because they're not initiated warriors, but instead have a squad number on their right shoulder pad and the fleur de lys on their left.

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Dam you and your HQ'y goodness. You keep giving me ideas! Some old and classic minis in that Chaplin group I especially like old Mr Ape Skull with the hawk.

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Dam you and your HQ'y goodness. You keep giving me ideas! Some old and classic minis in that Chaplin group I especially like old Mr Ape Skull with the hawk.
I actually prefer the old HQ models to the new ones. Well, at least the last batch-- I'll wait to pass judgement on the new plastics coming out until I have them on my desk. Something about the older models made them easier to paint well... I've never been able to put my finger on why.

I also have all the old Librarians, although I can't for the life of me find several of them. It's easy to misplace a model or three when you have around eleven hundred Space Marines.

I got bored and took a picture of some Lions Rampant armoury assets-

The open garage door and the sun coming up left me with an interesting lighting effect.

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
I've finished refurbishing parts of the 5th Company, and it is now completely and uniformily painted. Now to do it again with the 2nd Company...

Anyway, here's the assembled 5th Company-

Captain Athos d'Elysee leads the battle line at the head of his command squad:

Apothecary Nicus, and Chaplain Hector Krassos; along with elements of Assault Squads Leon and Diodore:

Tactical Squads

Devastator Squad Quixote:

Armed with lascannons, Devastator Squad Osannus scours any armored assets clear of the rest of the company's advance:

Assault Squads Diodore and Leon:

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
I picked up a Hunter... actually the only thing out of all the new releases that made the cut in my revised army list for most games. I was pretty pleased with the Hunter/Stalker model. It's a Rhino, with extra side pieces. The Hunter and Stalker turrets both just fit in where the Rhino's top hatch would go, and stay put without glue. So you get both models if you don't glue the turret down. When I'll ever use the Stalker is anybody's guess-- the Hunter is five points cheaper and is more effective at hunting Heldrakes than the Stalker, which is basically the only thing I need it for. Generally, I think the Stalker is an overall more effective unit... it's certainly more threatening to monstrous creatures, and if you run the numbers, against anything that's not AV12, it's more effective than the Hunter's skyspear missile launcher. That being said, against Heldrakes, Vendettas, and Stormravens-- the things I'm most likely to have to address quickly if I need air defense-- the Hunter's numbers are just a touch better.

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
I was pretty pleased with the Hunter/Stalker model. It's a Rhino, with extra side pieces. The Hunter and Stalker turrets both just fit in where the Rhino's top hatch would go, and stay put without glue. So you get both models if you don't glue the turret down.
That's quite interesting to know. Thank ye gladly! :so_happy:

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Nice work on the Hunter SOH. How easy do you think it would be to use those extra side plates as extra armor on a normal rhino?

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Nice work on the Hunter SOH. How easy do you think it would be to use those extra side plates as extra armor on a normal rhino?
If you don't mind the pitons, pretty easy-- the whole side assembly is one piece. That being said, the price of the Hunter kit is enough more than a regular Rhino kit that you might actually come out ahead just buying Forge World Extra Armour if that's what you want the side pieces for.

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
I had some store credit burning a hole in my pocket, so I picked up the Reclusiam Command Squad. I figured I needed another command squad for the Chapter anyway, I could always find a home for another Rhino chassis, and I've always collected the assorted different Space Marine officer models.

I know a lot of people were kind of lukewarm about this Chaplain, but I really like the sculpt. I like the bigger crozius, the advancing but still clearly preaching pose, and the inclusion of more purity seals and the reliquary on the backpack. Since it comes with two different heads, you can pretty easily use the skull helmet on another marine with a lot of fancy stuff on his armor and paint it black and get a second Chaplain out of it if you really wanted to, too. I think I overhighlighted the edges of the purity seal wax... it's funny how flaws you don't see on the miniature when you're holding it and even looking closely at it pop up in a photo. I guess I'll go back and put a couple red glazes over the wax to tone that harsh pink edge down.

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Since the completion of refurbishing the 5th Battle Company, I've decided to take a break from painting rank and file Space Marines and do some random other stuff-- dreadnoughts, Rhinos, and some officers just to break up the monotony of painting white power armor.

I decided to repaint one of my Contemptors that was in Sons of Horus colors in Lions Rampant colors. I figure if I want another Contemptor later for my Heresy-era army, I can just pick up the dedicated Sons of Horus model. I debated for a long time whether I wanted the Chapter to even -have- Contemptor dreadnoughts, and I finally settled on painting at least one, and I might add more later. The text on the torso fully reads "My strength lies in faith undying" but the 'My' ended up being mostly covered by the lascannons.

I also have been giving thought to company banners. My Chapter, at this point, doesn't have anything more painted than what I've posted either in here or in my army showcase-- I own the physical models for the entire Chapter, and at one point much more of it was painted. However, my skill has improved over the years, and I decided to prime over several Companies' worth of Marines and paint them to a new, higher standard. With that in mind, the pictured 5th Company is actually the only Battle Company that's fully painted at the moment.

So the next thing I'm going to tackle is the 2nd Battle Company. I have most of the first Tactical Squad finished, and I started thinking about what I wanted to do for the banner. My Chapter doesn't really display company colors-- they show a numeral on the right knee or greave with a company number, but that's about it. I wanted to still incorporate the Codex Company color into the Company's heraldry somehow, though. So for the 2nd Company's banner, I decided to paint a variation on the Chapter icon in warm yellows and tans to echo the 2nd Company's heraldic color, gold.

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
Hey, these are looking good. I really like the overall effect of the standard bearer, but it seems looser some how than many of your other miniatures. It might just be the more impressionistic standard.

The contemptor looks pretty awesome. I really like the text on the body, but considering how clear that is, the squiggly text elsewhere seems out of place. But I think the weathering worked well.

·
Bringer of the Apocalypse
2,559 Posts
Is it me, or does the golden lion rampant look like it's trying to climb the "wall" of the banner?

Kreuger has a good point, it DOES look Impressionistic...

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #95 (Edited)
When I do freehand stuff, I tend to have an impressionist style. I think it's because the old man is into impressionist art, and I got dragged to museums a lot as a kid, and my mind has always associated that style with sort of classy European art. The Lions Rampant are a blend of French, Spanish, and Italian as far as cultural influence of the Chapter goes, and the great impressionists were French and Spanish. So the style fits the Chapter...at least, in my mind.

For the Chapter's banners, I want to do an assortment of Lions Rampant, saintly images, and neo-gothic imagery in that sort of impressionist style. This is the First Company's Banner, for the sake of comparison:

Overall though, I do agree that the banner came out looking a little too loose, style-wise. I will go back and touch it up some more.

I've finished the first Tactical Squad for the 2nd Company, Tactical Squad Finaeus-

And the 2nd Company's apothecary, Brother-Apothecary Lorenzo-

Not great pictures. One of these days I'm going to buy a new camera that doesn't suck. I swear, camera phones are better these days than my camera...

On a somewhat unrelated note, I've finally settled on an 1850-point standard army list for the Lions Rampant using the new Space Marine Codex. I was initially going to run it as a straight Codex: Space Marines army, but it occurred to me there was literally no reason not to take an allied detachment to bring a better Chaplain and scoring Assault Squads rather than use the Codex versions. Both the better Chaplain and flexibility offered by scoring Assault Squads lines up nicely with the background for the Chapter, I think.

Chapter Tactics: Ultramarines
HQ/
Captain
Brother-Captain Athos d'Elysee armed with dual lightning claws, jump pack, artificer armour, Warlord.

HQ (Allied)/
Reclusiarch
Brother-Chapain Hector Krassos, armed with a bolt pistol, crozius, jump pack.

TROOPS/
Tactical Squad Augustine
10-strong. Veteran Sergeant armed with a power fist and boltgun. Meltagun, Heavy Bolter. Rhino APC.

TROOPS/
Tactical Squad Pathalus
10-strong. Veteran Sergeant armed with a power fist and boltgun. Plasma Gun, Heavy Bolter. Rhino APC.

TROOPS/
Tactical Squad Faustino
10-strong. Veteran Sergeant armed with a power fist and boltgun. Plasma Gun, Heavy Bolter, Rhino APC.

TROOPS (Allied)/
Assault Squad Leon
10-strong. Sergeant armed with dual lightning claws. Hand Flamer, Plasma Pistol.

TROOPS (Allied)/
Assault Squad Diodore
10-strong. Sergeant armed with a bolt pistol and power fist. Hand Flamer, Plasma Pistol.

HEAVY SUPPORT/
Devastator Squad Osannus
10-strong. Four lascannons. Sergeant armed with a boltgun.

HEAVY SUPPORT/
Hunter

HEAVY SUPPORT/
Predator Annihilator
Twin linked lascannon, lascannon sponsons.

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
I've been hesitant to paint more rank and file Marines until foam from KRMulticase shows up. However, it's currently stuck in customs limbo, and with the government shutdown...who knows when it'll get here. So in the meantime, I painted a couple Librarians to add to the Chapter Librarius.

And a group shot of all my painted Librarians. I still have four left sitting in simple green at the moment, including the original Tigurius sculpt. I do own three different Librarians in Terminator Armour-- the old one on the 25mm base, the current model, and the Space Hulk one. But, my Chapter's attitude regarding psykers prohibits them from displaying Chapter heraldry-- they're very much pariahs-- so there's no way they're getting their hands on terminator armour. So I figure those pieces are just sort of extraneous elements of the collection, which I might paint up as a different Chapter just for the sake of doing something different at some point.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Just read through all 10 pages and your work is amazing! I have no better word for it. It makes me want to paint, haha. I absolutely love how the Reclusiam Chaplain looks, Chaplains are my favorite space marine HQs (which is why I love my Dark Apostles) and he looks great! I look forward to seeing more.

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Just read through all 10 pages and your work is amazing! I have no better word for it. It makes me want to paint, haha. I absolutely love how the Reclusiam Chaplain looks, Chaplains are my favorite space marine HQs (which is why I love my Dark Apostles) and he looks great! I look forward to seeing more.
Glad you like it!

I feel like I'd be negligent as a Chapter Master not to at least have some grav guns present in the ranks somewhere. I mean, it's a major feature of Codex: Space Marines at this point, and whether you think they're any good or not (and I'm on the "not" side), when you're talking about literally a thousand Space Marines, somebody's probably got one.

I gave a lot of thought to how I wanted the Lions Rampant grav weapons to look. Something about the design of the gun reminds me of Necron weapons for some reason, so I decided to go with a glowing green effect on it.

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
81 - 100 of 426 Posts