Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

61 - 80 of 426 Posts

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Got my Reaper Kickstarter in finally, and I couldn't resist painting this guy up in one sitting. I normally put my minis in a ghetto light box made from sheets of printer paper but Cthulu was having none of that, so you'll have to forgive the cluttered painting desk! I played around with highlighting using an airbrush on this, since it was big enough to actually practice a bit on. It stands about as tall as a Warhound Titan...

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
Lovely work there Horus! :so_happy:

·
Closet Dictator
3,413 Posts
great plog, really great! would rep you but gots to spread the love around more first! love the lions rampant and tau minis in particular, please tell how you do your white, I can't paint white for love nor money.

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
great plog, really great! would rep you but gots to spread the love around more first! love the lions rampant and tau minis in particular, please tell how you do your white, I can't paint white for love nor money.
Thanks!

So for white. I start most things that are going to be predominantly white by either using The Army Painter Skeleton Bone primer or by spraying them black and then airbrushing them Reaper Master Series Aged Bone (which is kind of like the old GW Bleached Bone but a touch darker.)

It then gets a wash of Agrax Earthshade to define the recesses.

Next, I apply a layer of Reaper Master Series Aged Bone. Then a layer of white. Usually takes a couple passes to get a smooth finish on the white. No real way around that, unfortunately. Just needs thin coats so it doesn't clump up.

For large models like vehicles, I start the same basic way but I airbrush the white on, and then go back and shade in the recesses later.

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Really well done there mate, I can't help but think he is a bit big for the base though. That mini would make a great starting point for an alternative Great Unclean One I think.

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
As per Jac's request, a close-up on the text on the Land Raider. I painted this model probably four years ago now... my technique has drastically improved in the meantime. Looking at it this close really shows the flaws in the painting, I think... I might go back over it with the airbrush and smooth out the white in the next day or so, and reapply the text.

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Nothing too exciting... Finished a Vengeance Weapon Battery for the store, and thought I'd finished the Lord Executioner for myself, but after looking at the picture, I clearly need to go back and work on the jump pack some more.

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
What's wrong with the jump pack? with the exception of the jump pack laurels, which, let's face it, have never been GW's strong point it looks fine. In fact the head looks awesome, as always.

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
What's wrong with the jump pack? with the exception of the jump pack laurels, which, let's face it, have never been GW's strong point it looks fine. In fact the head looks awesome, as always.
Much appreciated. The details just seem sloppy on the jump pack and it could use a round of highlights on the green, I think. The silver has spilled over into some recesses, and the contrast on the parchment are a bit too much... I might pop the jump pack off and just start it over from scratch.

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
I painted this a while ago but never posted it for some reason. I always thought it was silly that the Captain of the 9th Company (the Devastator Reserve) couldn't have a heavy weapon. So despite the fact that this isn't a game legal model, I figured for the sake of just having something cool to represent the 9th Captain, I'd paint this up.

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
I've been working on terrain a lot lately. There are a lot of great new kits from Games Workshop out, and I'm lucky enough to get copies from the local store in exchange for painting their copies. Not a bad gig, eh?

When I paint terrain, I always take the approach that the terrain should supplement the appearance of the models interacting with it, rather than stand out as a work of art in and of itself. So I tend to go a little light on detail work, and focus on broad gradients and letting the sculpted detail on the piece draw the eye to the more carefully painted miniatures on it. I've found that an airbrush is indispensable in doing terrain work-- without it, even simple pieces take forever, and the natural gradient an airbrush creates makes it possible to do very simple weathering and effects on terrain without spending more than a few minutes on each model.

First off, I've painted the Aquila Strongpoint. The turret comes off in case anyone ever wants to use the thing as a vortex missile strongpoint instead. But I figure 99% of the time, the thing'll just be used as a ruin or an intact building with a dilapidated gun, and in that case, the macro cannon is much cooler looking.

I've also begun work on a pair of complete Wall of Martyrs sets-- I've only finished one trench section so far. All the detail is painted, but the eye still naturally goes to the Space Marines manning the trench, I think-- which is important in terrain work, in my opinion-- don't want people paying more attention to the trench line than the models fighting over it!

I also painted up a couple new Librarians for the Lions Rampant, so that I could field a Librarius in Apocalypse if I ever got the urge to. Librarians of my Chapter do not wear Chapter livery-- they wear the Codex-required blue armor, but do not bear the Lion Rampant or the fleur de lys, and if anything appears on their shoulder pads, it's phrases like "witch."

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Love that Libby formation, laying down the hurt! Makes me tempted to make one myself (as if I haven't got enough to do!). Is there a Chaplin equiv?

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Love that Libby formation, laying down the hurt! Makes me tempted to make one myself (as if I haven't got enough to do!). Is there a Chaplin equiv?
I wish there were a Chaplain one, but there's not. Maybe they'll make one sometime, though.

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Not really an update, but it occurred to me that I'd never bothered taking a picture of my usual 1850-point army. Better late than never, right? I mean, it's going to be completely changed in a month in all likelihood.

It's a Captain, a Chaplain, three Tactical Squads with Rhinos, two Assault Squads, a Devastator Squad, and a Predator. Tactically flexible, equally capable at forming a firing line as it is charging forward and taking the fight to the enemy. It's been a configuration I've leaned heavily on since probably early 4th edition. I don't anticipate the new Codex changing the army much. If anything, I'll have more points to play around with.

61 - 80 of 426 Posts