Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

21 - 40 of 426 Posts

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Not much of an update... I've been out of town for the past week, so I haven't gotten much of anything done. Finished the plasma gunner for the Ravenwing Bike Squadron for the store's copy of Dark Vengeance, though.

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
Them there bikes is real purdy! :eek:k:

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
I don't normally post unpainted miniatures. But I'm pretty happy with how this conversion came out. Codex: Dark Angels gave me the kick I needed to actually do something with the 50-some-odd bikers I own, so I picked up a Ravenwing Command Squad and decided to covert a counts-as Sammael, as well as a Chaplain and an extra guy.

They'll be a strike force drawn from the 6th Tactical Reserve (the Reserve Company from which Codex Chapters draw their bike squads and land speeder crews to attach to a Battle Company) for my Lions Rampant... there should be a link to the Chapter fluff and all that in my signature.

I figure that since Sammael's jetbike is the only surviving example of an Imperial jetbike, the Lions Rampant would not have one-- especially not for the Captain of a Reserve Company. But mounting a plasma cannon to the fairing of a regular bike? Well, that's doable, right? I figure the other benefits of the jetbike can just be chalked up to Captain Tauro (errr..."Sammael") being a skilled rider or something. This is basically just the sergeant out of the Ravenwing command squad box, with a Grey Knight sword, and a plasma cannon. I used a bit of green stuff to attach the power cable to the bike's fuel tank... I figure there's probably a fancy fusion battery or something in there that the plasma cannon can be hooked up to. Really not that complicated beyond cutting the fairing and the plasma cannon to fit together.

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
These are the Captains of the Second and Fourth Company of the Lions Rampant, respectively. I didn't paint these recently, but I never took pictures of them for some reason.

Captain Porthos

Captain Valentinus

I also (mostly) finished my counts-as Sammael, Captain Tauro of the 6th Tactical Reserve. All that's left is to touch up the freehand iconography, which I'll do when I'm not a little twitchy from caffeine.

Finally, this is my current project-- a Lions Rampant Nephilim. I figure I'll count it as a Stormtalon, as I'm not going to be "that guy" that jumps codecies every time a new one comes out. The new Nephilim/Dark Talon model is so very cool though, and it's much more what I think the Stormtalon should've looked like in the first place. The main weapon fits in snugly without glue, so I can switch between the avenger bolt cannon (which will represent the assault cannon most of the time) and the twin-linked lascannon as needed. I figure I can run it as a Nephilim proper in Apocalypse, after all. I shaved off the Dark Angels chapter icons on the undersides of the missile pods, but decided to leave the Ravenwing icon on the tail alone-- there are other details I didn't want to screw up on the tail by removing the Ravenwing icon, and when painted differently, the Ravenwing logo can easily look like generic fast attack heraldry, I think. At this point, I need to clean up the freehand iconography and lettering-- I put it on purely to block out where it was going-- and finish the pilot and canopy--both have to be painted separately before being glued in place.

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Finished up the Nephilim today. I know folks are lukewarm about their in-game effectiveness, but it's just such a cool model. The mega bolter and the twin-linked lascannons are interchangable on the model without needing magnets, which is great.

I touched up the freehand markings, and added some more carbon scoring from atmospheric flight-- weathering aircraft is such a different beast than weathering tanks, and it's something I've never really gotten the hang of.

·
Powered by Squig Tea
7,589 Posts
I'm surprised how much I actually like the Nephlim in white, to begin with I wasn't sure but I have had a look at yours a couple of times now and it's good.

It needs some more work on the high speed aspect of the weathering imo, streaks coming off rivets, more leading edge abrasion trailback damage that sort of thing. It would help with the dynamics of the overall mini by suggesting speed.

·
8,723 Posts
I lied, it was your bikes I'd commented on :p

Loving that fighter in the white plate! :eek:k:

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I've been fairly busy lately and haven't had much time to sit and paint. I just finished a piece for a local Magic: The Gathering judge, who had asked me to paint a model for him sometime- he's an appreciator of the arts. Also, a potential addition to the local 40k community. Either way, I have ended up with an undemanding local commission client with disposable income, so... it's all good, right?

I had free reign to do what I wanted with the Chaos Terminator Lord he picked out. The only stipulation was that the model should not have a gun, so it could potentially be used in fantasy roleplaying as an anti-paladin or the like. With that in mind, it was easy to figure out what this model should be-- a World Eater, a champion of Khorne. Who needs guns when you're a psychotic, lobotomized killing machine empowered by a dark daemon god of war?

Kind of a fun diversion... I haven't painted one-off characters for a while, and those have always been my favorite things to work on.

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I haven't really looked at the new daemons codex yet. But now that we have a new book for them out, I feel like putting together a 500-point allied detachment of Tzeentch daemons to accompany The Pyre for bigger games here and there might be fun. They won't really be subject to change (which is funny, given what they are), so I'll just have a 500-point block that can be stuck in whenever. It's an excuse to paint something new and different, if nothing else.

I know there's been a lot of moaning and groaning about how Tzeentch daemons are still broken. Their unbalanced nature in the previous codex was actually what had stopped me from messing with them before. But I decided that this time, no matter what they did with them in the book, I'd build my allied detachment of 'em. Even if they made them awful. They're firey daemons, and that works great with The Pyre. A little psychic artillery to back up the very close-quarters oriented Pyre doesn't hurt either, I suppose...

So the allied detachment looks like this:
HQ-
Herald of Tzeentch, Level 3.

TROOPS-
Either 1x20 unit of Pink Horrors, or 2x10. Haven't decided which yet. I'm open to thoughts on the subject.

ELITES-
5 Flamers of Tzeentch

HEAVY SUPPORT-
Burning Chariot of Tzeentch

I picked up the Burning Chariot model the other day, because out of the new releases, it's by far my favorite thing-- the billowing flames, the screamers pulling the disc, and the extra herald you get that you can really customize all really appealed to me as a painter. I've never painted a lot of daemons, which seems odd considering how prolific a Chaos Space Marine army I have... and I never really had many daemonic commissions, when I was doing that.

I've finished the Herald. It's not my best work at all, since it's so far removed from the kind of thing I usually do. I may go back and play with the flame effects some more. Try blending the pink and green together to do some light sourcing or something, make it seem more along the lines of what I normally do.

·
Registered
614 Posts
All nice stuff. I really like your company commanders. I must have missed your paint scheme for the LRs before. The green and white is quite striking and looks aces on those two captains and the flyer.

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Lately, we've been running an escalation league. And I've been finishing my Dark Eldar, which I started when the army was released but just never quite finished painting for whatever reason.

A friend of mine borrowed an element of the army for the Apocalypse game we played last weekend, and another player snapped some pictures. Since pictures are something I've neglected to take of my Dark Eldar... well, check 'em out.

My Archon's somewhat pimped ride:

Razorwing Jetfighter

As for some older photos...
One of the banners in the Kabalite Warrior squads. Each squad has a banner, just to add some more visual interest to the unit.

And a handful of Warriors

Anyway, stay tuned for some more pictures... I've been meaning to get them up, and they're my current project to knock out.

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I'm experimenting with taking better pictures, so bear with me. I have a light box, but despite following all the exhaustive instructions available online to the letter, I still can't really get pictures that show my models for what they are. Oh well.

Scourge
I have a unit of ten of these guys-- so far, this is the only one that's painted. I haven't played with them yet... I can't decide how I feel about them on paper.

Archons
I have two archon models-- which I use really seems to just come down to my mood that day. One is the stock Dark Eldar Archon model with a Dark Elf Corsair head; the other is a Dark Elf Lord with Dark Eldar weapons.

Wyches
These don't make it into the 1850 build, but at lower points (and at 2000) they make an appearance.

Incubi
At 1850, I run nine of these guys with my Archon in a Raider. Eggs in a basket, I know... but they can clean out a fortified position without a whole lot of help, and are a simple fix for big Terminator squads I can't spend time shooting at.

Kabalite Warriors
I'm currently in the process of adding two more squads to the army, as well as replacing the Sybarites with models armed with splinter rifles. I've found that the Agonizer isn't really worth the points. I'll still run a Sybarite in each unit so somebody can get socked by the power fist in a challenge if need be, but I don't see any point in giving them anything.

Succubus
I had originally wanted to run a Succubus as a second HQ, but I ended up taking the points and bringing more Troops instead. Thusfar, it's worked better.

Mandrakes
Great models. Questionable unit. I've found they're great at turning up turn 3 or so and grabbing Linebreaker, and/or engaging heavy weapons teams for a turn, though. For what the unit costs to field, it's become worth it, even if they don't actually kill anything.

Lelith Hesperax
When the Dark Eldar were released, the Succubus was a second-wave model. I wanted to run one at the time, so I picked up Lelith and converted her. Now that there's a Succubus model, I guess I've got Lelith handy if I ever want to use her... although I doubt very much I ever do. I'm not a fan of running named characters.

Death Jester
I picked up some Harlequins just to paint a while back, and the only one I ever finished was the Death Jester. I got sidetracked with other projects. I'll probably finish the unit up at some point in the not too distant future, though.

Stay tuned for some pictures of the vehicles...

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
Looking good man!

·
8,723 Posts
They're ok I suppose :wink:

Nah, great work :so_happy:

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I picked up a Broadside just to paint for funsies. Not a bad kit. It's -much- larger than I'd expected it to be-- it's bigger than a Space Marine Dreadnought. It's a tiny bit taller, and just as bulky. It's not terribly posable, though-- you can angle the gun up and down a little, and position the head and the support systems as you see fit, but the body and legs basically can be assembled in one pose.

·
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
1,443 Posts
Really good freehand on that, white looks nice and clean which is impressive because.... um.... its white.

21 - 40 of 426 Posts