Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The Horus Heresy has begun. On the killing fields of Istvaan V, three Legions have been shattered. The Iron Hands, the Salamanders and the Raven Guard. Tens of thousands of the sons of Medusa, Nocturne and Deliverance lie dead in the red sands of Istvaan, only an endless sea of broken corpses and murdered heroes give testament to one of the greatest battles ever fought by mankind. The Primarchs too have suffered. The Gorgon lies dead, betrayed by his closest brother; the Drake Lord has vanished as if he never existed; and the Raven even now fights for his life against the wounds inflicted by the Gladiator-King.

Three Legions have been broken, and now the only survivors flee Istvaan in whatever way they can. Shuttles, stolen gunships and crippled battleships flee the Istvaan system en-masse, the only order being the fastest survive while the slow are left behind to the cruel mercies of Horus and his traitors. The horrors of Istvaan have destroyed three once proud and mighty Legions of the Astartes, and now it falls to the survivors to carry on the fight in whatever way possible. As ships flee through the Warp, strange tides and flows begin to create new paths and unexpected diversions, some will never reach their destination, some will find their way to whatever home still remains.

And some will find their paths have been irrevocably altered.​

Welcome to The secrets of Apocalus, my Horus Heresy Roleplay based around the Shattered Legions. This roleplay will focus characters from the Heresy and how they will produce different results than 40k characters, the unique nature of plots that can be used in the Heresy, and plenty of Astartes with bolters and chainswords fighting against dangerous xenos, traitors and other monstrosities.

Rules;
-GM = Final Decision. Do not dispute that.
-Death can happen and will if you make enough mistakes, or the plot takes it in that direction.
-No godmodding. That is self-explanatory.
-Any questions, just PM me and I will gladly answer them for you. Confirmation on points you are unclear on or collaboration between you as players and me as GM is also very welcome.
-PM me if you are unable to post, don't just drop off the face of the Earth. If you don't post in three successive updates without having forewarned me, your character dies. Dishonorably.
-I require a minimum of at least eight to ten sentences of a good length per post. I am looking for paragraphs, plural, in your posts. Not just one paragraph of brief sentences with barely any commas.

A note, if it's not already obvious. You can only be an Iron Hand, Salamander or Raven Guard. No Ultramarines/Blood Angels/White Scars/etc. Only the Loyalist Legions that were present on Istvaan V are playable.

Character Sheet;
Name: [Obvious.]
Age: [Anywhere from 100-300 is acceptable. 100 would mean you've been in the Crusade about halfway, and 300 means you fought in the Unification Wars and are an Original Legionnaire.]
Appearance: [Be detailed. And unique. I want to see Iron Hands with bionics, Salamanders with custom and artificer gear, Raven Guard with custom designs, etc. You can have whatever mark of Power Armour you want from MK II to MK VI.]
Personality: [Try to think of the Legion you are a part of when you consider this.]
Background: [Your background as a Legionnaire and your part in the Great Crusade, also add in details on Istvaan V.]
Weapons: [Options include: Bolter; Bolt Pistol/Chainsword; Heavy Bolter; Flamer; Lightning Claws. (HB/Flamer/LCs x 1]
Equipment: Frag/Krak Grenades, Med Pack.

And that is it. A little bit extra; Expect this to be a mystery style RP with a uniquely Heresy flavour but also a self-contained story. Nothing that happens beyond the planet Apocalus will affect the story. The entire RP will be focused on what happens on the planet, to your characters and the events that you will also take part in and cause.

Characters: (As many as wish to join, can join.)
1.)
2.)
3.)
4.)

LotN

·
Registered
23 Posts
Happy Dark? I think I've worked out the kinks EDIT:hopefully this doesn't break the lore in half, did that once before about 2 years ago I think but that was a Skyrim RP and I was very stupid at the time.

Name:Maximinus Bullert
Appearance: he wears Mark V Heresy Power Armour but under his helmet his face has 5 o'clock shadow beard, Fairly strong build, has a lot of scars a few on his face and the rest covers his body, short black hair and has a tall and strong looking build and he is also missing his right eye.

Personality: A disciplined and ruthless man, Maximinus despises any other cowardly or disobedient man. He also has a habit of beating the crap out of said cravens immediately and on his own judgement and no one else's, in battle he's an expert strategist and being such he's Resourceful and Creative in in his plans.

Equipment: 2 or 3 Krak Grenades and vox caster wired into his optic eye and works as a mic.

Weapons:
-Bolt Pistol
-Boltgun
-Chainsword or Power Sword

History: having started his tour of duty as a Iron Hand private?, He received his current position in the wake of a particularly bad landing during the first phases of a brief suppression campaign against anti-Imperial insurrectionists on Modred. While en route to their dropzone, Bullert's unit came under fire from hidden anti-air batteries. In the resulting confusion, several platoons were misdropped or forced to bail out of their transports, leaving the survivors scattered across roughly forty kilometers of the Modred highlands.

In the absence of orders, Maximinus took charge of the handful of survivors he could find and set out hunting for the batteries while they moved up through a few insurrectionists decided to ambush them and sadly though they were quickly killed it was not before one of them took Maximinus's right eye, the medics couldn't save it in time so someone who could make an optic eye for him, he went through much pain before and after it was inserted.

Given his success in that and the subsequent campaign, regimental command chose to make his de facto role official during the reconstruction as his commanding officers had been killed by one of the anti-air batteries. a year or two later Maximinus was deployed to Istvaan V and was put in an odd partnership between himself and a few other Space Marine Veterans from different Chapters to be in command of patrols and keep the peace, later on Maximinus heard that The Emperor had retired from The Great Crusade and gone back to Earth leaving his favourite son Horus in charge of the Military including The Space Marines [FFOORRESHADOWING!!!].

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've always wanted to write up an Iron Hand marine. I will write up a character sheet soon.

Just a quick question though for the weapon options could I pick a Heavy Bolter and have the bolt pistol with chain sword as back up weaponry?

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
@TheWarCaptain, you do realize this is not a deathwatch RP right? Its one set during the Horus Heresy, before the re-awakening of the Necrons and quite a while before mark VIII armour was produced.

·
Registered
23 Posts
DOUBLE EDIT:Happy now that good enough? I think I've worked out the kinks, my fault hopefully this doesn't break the lore in half, did that once before about 2 years ago I think but that was a Skyrim RP and I was very stupid at the time.

Name:Maximinus Bullert
Appearance: he wears Mark V Heresy Power Armour but under his helmet his face has 5 o'clock shadow beard, Fairly strong build, has a lot of scars a few on his face and the rest covers his body, short black hair and has a tall and strong looking build and he is also missing his right eye.

Personality: A disciplined and ruthless man, Maximinus despises any other cowardly or disobedient man. He also has a habit of beating the crap out of said cravens immediately and on his own judgement and no one else's, in battle he's an expert strategist and being such he's Resourceful and Creative in in his plans.

History: having started his tour of duty as a Iron Hand private?, He received his current position in the wake of a particularly bad landing during the first phases of a brief suppression campaign against anti-Imperial insurrectionists on Modred. While en route to their dropzone, Bullert's unit came under fire from hidden anti-air batteries. In the resulting confusion, several platoons were misdropped or forced to bail out of their transports, leaving the survivors scattered across roughly forty kilometers of the Modred highlands.

In the absence of orders, Maximinus took charge of the handful of survivors he could find and set out hunting for the batteries while they moved up through a few insurrectionists decided to ambush them and sadly though they were quickly killed it was not before one of them took Maximinus's right eye, the medics couldn't save it in time so someone who could make an optic eye for him, he went through much pain before and after it was inserted.

Given his success in that and the subsequent campaign, regimental command chose to make his de facto role official during the reconstruction as his commanding officers had been killed by one of the anti-air batteries. a year or two later on Maximinus heard that The Emperor had retired from The Great Crusade and gone back to Earth leaving his favourite son Horus in charge of the Military including The Space Marines [FFOORRESHADOWING!!].

During the battle for Istvaan V Maximinus and his squad were approached by Chaos Space Marines promising to give them whatever they wanted and It Worked, they gave in so easily and most of them were his friends it made him sick and the minute he refused the offer he also that he was not just going to let them walk away they started attacking him and he put up a good fight but sadly after a while he fell to the ground and they just assumed that they had beaten him to near death and left him to die but he didn't and they're going to wish he had died then and there, a paramedic team along with another squad of Iron Hands that hadn't been corrupted found him slowly crawling across whatever ground Isstvan V has, he was covered in blood most of his own, his armor was damaged the worst of it being a huge slash going across his breastplate but he refused to let the tech priests repair it he said "It must be the last thing that his "friends" see" because all of them saw that slash and if he have it repaired he couldn't extract his vengeance.

Equipment: 2 or 3 Krak Grenades and vox caster wired into his optic eye and works as a mic.

Weapons:
-Bolt Pistol
-Boltgun
-Chainsword or Power Sword

·
Registered
64 Posts
Darius' Character Sheet

I think I may have enjoyed myself a little too much writing this space marine up. Feel free to make comments or request changes as I'm pretty flexible.

Name: Vaylund Thorrun
Appearance: He is of moderate height for a legionnaire but this is offset by his slab like physique. His muscles are heavy set and thickly corded, having been built up by years of conflict, albeit that most of his body having been replaced by bionics, he is also lightly tanned. Most of the left side of his body has been replaced with bionics and also sports some dermal armour on top of the vital zones. His right arm is still organic as well as his torso and the right leg up to the knee. Vaylund's left eye has been replaced with a bionic equivalent due to being irreparably damaged by shrapnel from a previous battle. Whatever part of his body that hasn't been replaced by bionics is usually decorated with at least a few scars from previous conflicts.

His facial features include a powerfully built jaw, a narrow hawkish right eye and graced by a hook nose. He usually keeps his raven hair close cropped and only sports a short well groomed moustache. Most people would mistake him to be angry all the time but it is however due to the fact that his eyebrows are set naturally to a frown. The thick bullish neck does not help to offset this misconstruation in anyway either. Part of his lower left jaw has also been reinforced with metal plates due to past injuries.

Power Armour : Mark III Iron Armour -frontal plates heavily reinforced from many battles. It only has minimal ornamentation as Vaylund values utility over aesthetic. The Helmet is decorated with a decal of the Iron Hand over its' face plate. He also bears the decorations of a Sergeant and has not aspired for any form of greater command since.

Personality: Vaylund Thorrun is at first glance what appears to be a cold and ruthless individual. In reality however he is just an eminently pragmatic figure. He is ready to help his fellow legionnaires when the time comes and will always put the lives of his men above his own. When on duty he always seen at the forefront of the fighting, leading by example, shrugging off minor injuries and smiting with righteous fury.

Off duty Vaylund prefers to see the maintenance of his gear first and foremost, with some pieces of his gear almost entirely hand crafted after sustaining so many repairs, while attached tech priests assist him in the more complicated rituals. When not performing maintenance he can be seen helping junior members of the squad in the rites of battle, patiently teaching and repeating until they understand.

Concerning the Iron Hands penchant for bionic replacement Vaylund has often seen it necessary to replace irreparable damage but not to the scale the other members obsess over it. He is however leaning to the fact that the bionic limbs are tougher and stronger than the flesh equivalent. Willingly cutting off one's limbs to replace it with a mechanical one is too extreme for him though. This has led him to some conflicts with other fellow legionnaires in the past.

Background: Vaylund Thorrun is a veteran of the Unification wars and have fought beside the Emperor for as far as he can remember. Vaylund was part of the first groups of Space Marines in the latter days of the unification wars. The eventual defeat of the Techno-Barbarians were already certain by the time Vaylund was first sent to the front lines, having only participated in sweeping actions, witnessed the tactical genius of the Emperor. During those early days and the dawn of the great crusade Vaylund fought valiantly with both bolter, chainsword as well as the esoteric Volkite weaponry gifted by the Tech Priests of Mars. He found his calling in battle though with the heavy weapons, finding himself proficient with the righteous fury of the Multi Melta and the untiring voice of the Heavy Bolter.

At the dawn of the Great Crusade Vaylund was assigned to the X legion 'The Stormwalkers' where his dutiful nature would help temper the more warlike and aggressive initiates. Serving as a sergeant during the early days of the great crusade he fought with cold stoicism, often disdaining major injuries to the point where bionics would better serve in healing him, his fellow marines found him to be a reliable and honourable brother legionnaire. When the Emperor found the great Ferrus Manus on Medusa it was a momentous occasion to have one of the Emperor's own as their leader. The Stormwalkers now being renamed the Iron Hands in honour of the nascent primarch. In the early days of Ferrus Manus he was doubtful of the primarch's ability to wage war, however after a spectacular victory in a set piece battle against the Orks of Salratar II, he quickly changed his mind.

It was on the desert planet of Ortar however where Vaylund was heavily injured by xenos ordnance losing most of his left arm and left leg. They were latter replaced with bionics with certain parts of his body already much more machine than man from previous conflicts. Since then he had his original MK II armour upgraded to the MK III Iron Armour, with its reinforced frontal plates perfect for his role in the vanguard of the assault. He would walk steadily towards the enemy with his heavy bolter letting loose a torrent of explosive death and his squad advancing with him.

During the battle for Istvaan V that the greatest shock would befall the Iron Hands and Vaylund himself. Hearing news of the betrayal by the Warmaster himself Vaylund and his fellow legionnaires volunteered to be in the vanguard but were denied. They were instead assigned to protect the vulnerable flanks of the Iron Hands deployment in the drop zone and near the area where the Salamanders were slated to land. The battle on the ground was brutal and grueling as brother fought brother. No mercy was given to the traitors and amidst the din of the initial wave they appeared successful.

This was the first time Vaylund ever had to fight another space marine and the prospect of doing so again only made his rage against the traitors grow. During the second wave of the landing and the resurgence of the traitors Vaylund was separated in the confusion of the battle and regrouped with fellow loyalist Salamanders. Having already taken many wounds from the second phase of the fighting, Vaylund still demanded to go regroup with his legion, when Ferrus Manus made the call to deploy his legionnaires against the traitor Fulgrim, the Salamander legionnaires were forced to restrain him to have his wounds treated elsewhere. His battle ended there as he was shuttled back up with other grievously injured marines back into the care of the fleet in space.

Hearing of the news that their primarch Ferrus Manus was dead and the Iron Hands all but destroyed made him fly into an almost murderous rage. One Apothecary was knocked out cold by a metal clad bionic fist and another bruised from the waist up as he sedated the angered legionnaire. As the cold drug induced sleep over took him he swore to make those traitors pay one day. Even if vengeance would take a millennia. The traitor fleet however overtook the loyalist fleet in a brutal space battle and scattered them to the stars. Where Vaylund will end up however is up to the Emperor's grace.

Weapons: Voss-Incarnadine Pattern Heavy Bolter painted black with sigils of the Iron Hands and the Imperium adorning it. It is a drum fed variant.
[If allowed to have these with the heavy bolter?:] Tigris Pattern Bolt Pistol painted a dull grey with no decorations and a MK II Legion chainsword with stock camouflage.

"Fulgrim!" He screamed as he thrashed against the apothecaries, "Traitors!"

A heavy handed blow caught one apothecary in the side of the head.

He yelled and thrashed again, "I will never forget this. I will not rest until my Brothers are avenged!"
PICT FEED from Strike Cruiser Arrasthus medical block

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think I'll stick with The Mark V even though I want to go with The Mark VII *sigh* oh well

·
Registered
782 Posts
Name: Rayder Vaan

Appearance: Rayder has the typical pale complexion of a Raven Guard and jet black hair and eyes. His hair is hair is tied into tight braids and slicked back. His has a youthful and slightly gaunt face with sharp cheek bones and a narrow chin. He could be considered small by Astartes standards but is fast and agile. He wears MKIV armour, entirely black with the Chapter symbol painted on both shoulders. The XIX Legion numeral is engraved on his chest and assault squad markings are on his right knee. His left greave has been sculpted into another chapter badge

Personality: By most Legions standards Rayder has the same cold manner as his brothers. To the Raven Guard though he is unusually jovial and prone to humour. He enjoys duelling any Astartes he can and always leaves the heat of the fight in the practice cage. He is humble and modest and always striving to improve.

Background: Rayder wasn't born when Corax left Deliverance, but grew up with the tails of the legendary warrior now battling alongside the Emperor far away. These tales inspired him and as a small child always spoke of his desire to join Corax in the stars. So, his Father, a miner, trained him as best he could to be strong and fight. At the age of twelve he was recruited and began the process of becoming a Space Marine.

Over the years he changed from a happy young boy to a powerful Astartes. Youthful enthusiasm became righteous vigour and boundless energy became tireless brutality in the face of the enemies of Mankind, but at his core he stayed the same. Throughout his training he always excelled the most in close combat and upon completion of his training and promotion to full Battle-Brother was assigned to the Falcon Assault Companies under Aloni Tev.

For many years he was just another warrior, all be it a skilled one who showed great potential. At the age of 104 he was promoted to Sergeant and had lead his own squad for the past three years.

Until Isstvan V he had never seen his Primarch up close, only from great distances in mass gatherings. Before the battle he was at the height of his joy finally having achieved his life aim of fighting beside the Primarch and when deployed fought close to him. He caught parting glances at Corax from a distance, felt his spirit sore as he defeated the traitor Lorgar then plummet as he was cast down by Konrad Curze. At that point Rayder fought with an unbound fury he had never before felt and was part of the group that extracted the Primarch from the battle zone.

He now hungers for revenge against Traitor legions, especially the Night Lords.

Weapons: Bolt Pistol & Chainsword, Combat knife.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Name: Shadow-Captain Ayden Siciro
Appearance: Terran born, Ayden is shorter in stature than his Deliverance brothers. While not as pale as the rest, he retains light color in his face cropped by short greying hair. He bears scars along his stomach from a Xenos weapon, from the lower sternum to his left hip. His eyes are dark brown, the right cheek twitching at random, giving him a permanent smirk. Above his right eye are two service studs, his first a Jovian rune, the second brass. Along the collar of his Artificer Mark IV armor are the words in High Gothic "Death doth descend on swift wings!" Apart from the typical matte abyssal black seen on his chapter's armor, on his belt hang three slender chains with a tiny raven's skull on each. His right pauldron is trimmed with a deep maroon, signifying his part of the Assault troupe, with several engagements written on the inside lip. Oath papers, and honors flutter from his pauldrons and his left greave. Due to damage his left pauldron has hastily attached ceramite, via bonding studs. His helmet a long, deep, yet superficial scratch over the top right side.

Personality: Considered outdated and out of place, by younger peers. But by his Terran brethren, he is seen as insightful, and one to take to heart the meaning of planning and "first and final strike" that his Primarch so favors. He has a voice that can be as quiet as the fabled Shadowmasters, and as loud as a Volcano Cannon, that holds the power of command. This strength is also accompanied by a humbleness not seen normally in his age. With his men, he is known to mix ideas and solidify them into perfect plans of attack instead of taking all credit. He can often be seen studying the writings of his Primarch and Primarch Guilliman to better himself, and jovial despite his studious nature.

Background: Born on Terra approximately 60 years after the last of the Unification conflicts, Ayden no longer recollects his origins beyond his home planet. Seeing several small conflicts as an initiate, his first major conflict was the liberation of Jupiter's moon of Lysithea from xenos overlords. It was here that in the swirl of melee that he took a blow from a xenos weapon and was thought dead. Abandoned his body went into shock, fighting to stay alive until he was found alive still by an Imperial Army patrol responding to a pocket of resistance. Having been left out of treatment for so long, neuro toxins ravaged his nervous system, until the Apothecaries treated him. The only side effect being some nerve damage in his face, making him appear to have a smirk most of the time. For his actions on Lysithea he was given a Jovian rune as his first service stud. Months after his full recovery, his company was splintered off to support Horus' Luna Wolves in another 80 years of liberation acts, despite his dislike for Horus' use of the Raven Guard. It was then that he was anointed to the assault troupe, and then rose to the rank of Sergeant. After receiving word that their primarch was found, his company was recalled to Deliverance, where they learned their new doctrines, adapting flawlessly.

During the Akum-Sothos Cluster reconquering, his squad personally defended the fallen 7th Shadow-Captain's body and fallen Battalion standard, until relieved by battle brothers from the 5th company and Corax himself. Fueled with vengeance, he took to the skies alongside his Primarch, retaking "Gate Forty-Two." For his stalwart dedication to his company, and loyalty to his Primarch, his Terran origin was over looked and he was promoted to Shadow-Captain of 7th Assault Company, 3rd Battalion. He remains there to this current timeline. The two raven's skulls that are not his were the ones found on his former Commander and his standard bearer, which he holds on to until their return to Deliverance.

Weapons: He holds a power axe known as "Raptorios" a dull grey color, very unadorned, abnormal for a Commander. He also carries a hand flamer and bolt pistol both dulled down for concealment, known as "Victory" and "Death" respectively engraved.
Equipment: Frag/Krak Grenades, Med Pack, (Jump pack?)

At the time of Isstvan what remained of his company after the barrage from their "loyalist allies" was surrounded by Word Bearers in close quarters. This prevented them from fully utilizing their jump packs, lest they get picked out of the sky by the Iron Warriors. Following a series of strikes to push back the traitors, the Gal Vorbak descended, laying waste to what remained. At the moment they appeared a round nearly took his head off, knocking him unconscious and leaving the rent on top of his helm. Luckily, he is believed dead, yet again.

(guy can't get a break jeez lol. Hope it all is good, and I tried to incorporate as much lore as this guy would/could have gone through following the unification wars to keep accurate. let me know.)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts