Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
21 - 40 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Sorry, in my total "I WANNA be cool" i forgot that you include a line of the people coming from brontian while i was busy making a story where i was picked up by the brostians after they liberated a world.

AKA, i shouldnt drift to long on one post, or i forget what rules there are :p Sorry!

Ill, respec that bit later on.

About the personality, its more or less the outwards appeariance, "most people", but not all people think that of Cid.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
hey darkreever, your probably gonna need bad guys, I'm pretty good with the orks and dark eldar, want me to make some up for you???

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thanks for the offer emporershand, but no thank you; neither Orks or Dark Eldar will be making an appearance in this RP and I am going to remain vague about most of the possible NPC's encountered so you can ask if you want, just don't expect much of an answer. (Though possible hints may be in the background of this RP, like where we are going, whats been taking place, and so on. Doesn't mean they are all going to be there, or all going to give you an idea.)

Besides, if you were playing as the bad guy(s) what would you do about your guard character? Toss him?

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
hahaha, no, I'd work with both characters, I run multiple D&D RPG's at my locaL club in addition to playing 40k tourneys, so I'm use to that.

I'm a game fanatic, thats all

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
See now thats where the biggest problem of all would arise, you say you'd play as both. However, playing as the bad guy(s) would mean you need access to more of the story and plot, more game knowledge then other players would be privy to and that simply would not be fair because you also have the character with the other players.

In RP's in my experience, some of the worst things a GM can do are the following:
-Allow a player to have multiple characters
-Allow a player to play on more than one side with more than one character
-Give players control of multiple NPC's rather than just their one character.

The first one is bad because the more characters you play, the more you must split your focus, the less either of them may develop.

The second is bad because of the increased amount of out of game knowledge the given player must have, and the chance that it may accidentally be used by the wrong person.

The third is terrible because it takes control away from the GM and haltys most chance of character development between players. Fuck like you need to interact with people when you can make your NPC's understand and work with you the best. Plus that opens the way for power gaps, and that will quickly make things get out of hand.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
interesting, well, I'll keep that in mind, but your right about revealing too much story. Sorry, didn't mean to tick you off.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
In RP's in my experience, some of the worst things a GM can do are the following:
-Allow a player to have multiple characters
-Allow a player to play on more than one side with more than one character
-Give players control of multiple NPC's rather than just their one character.

The first one is bad because the more characters you play, the more you must split your focus, the less either of them may develop.

The second is bad because of the increased amount of out of game knowledge the given player must have, and the chance that it may accidentally be used by the wrong person.

The third is terrible because it takes control away from the GM and haltys most chance of character development between players. Fuck like you need to interact with people when you can make your NPC's understand and work with you the best. Plus that opens the way for power gaps, and that will quickly make things get out of hand.

Have you seen Carpe Noctem's "The Vampire Council" roleplay? If not, I would recommend taking a look. It basically goes against everything you've said above, but then again it is a different sort of roleplay, perhaps not to some people's tastes. Still, I'd say it's worth having a look, as it is a very different structure of RP and looking at something another way is how we improve as people.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Name: Lt. Eli Quint

Appearance: Quint is a slight fellow, and rather unassuming in stature. Cloudy blue eyes take refuge amongst an irrepressible tangle of golden curls, often unceremoniously smothered by a weighty flak helmet. Face and flesh are unmarred by battle- a blank canvas awaiting the touch of war's brush. To say Quint possessed 'boyish good looks' would not be far from the mark, although he might resent the assertion. His uniform is kept neat and tidy, a habit drilled into him by the academy, but upkept in hopes of impressing the senior officers.

Personality: Quint is above all things intuitive, observant, and possessing of a mind permanently switched to the 'on' position. Thoughts, ideas, possibilities flow in a torrent, roaring at him like the turbines of Valkyrie drop-ships, and sometimes it is all he can do to silence this internal maelstrom and focus on the current course of action. With such a vivid internal world, Quint often retreats from the external one so as not to overload, making him somewhat of an introvert when he has any say in the matter.

That being said, as an officer, called upon to inspire, to lead, to invigorate the hearts and minds of men, his healthy dose of natural charisma rarely goes astray. Whilst you won't find Lt. Quint storming the battlements with a primal warcry, sword in hand, he is there beside you in the foxhole, whispering words of encouragement. He is humming detailed instructions for a flanking manouver on the vox. He's right along side his men, knuckles white on the grip of the lasgun, slamming down the same cocktail of fear, nerves, excitement, trepidation and irrational bravery in the face of certain death as every other man in his platoon. And he wouldn't have it any other way.

Background: Eli comes from a lower-middle class family of three children - one older brother, 26, and a younger sister, 15. The eldest son, Titus, joined the Guard about 4 years prior to Eli, and the last they had heard was Sgt. Quint was deployed on some god-forsaken rock three sectors away, keeping the Orks at bay. Eli's father Gaius is a supervisor in a munitions factory, whilst his mother Eleanor is a textiles-worker, making uniforms, bandages, cloaks, and other fabrics to support the war effort. Ophelia, the youngest Quint largely puts herself through school, and looks after the family home when her parents aren't at home.

Eli revealed a talent for academia from a young age, not only excelling at his education, but demonstrating leadership potential, captaining the chess and debating teams, as well as gaining the position of prefect in his final year. With the ever-present threat of war on their doorstep, the Imperial Officer Academy was the logical step for the young Quint, longing to carve his legacy amongst the stars, and keep harm from coming to his family.

4 years later, with a new-found passion for strategy just waiting to be applied to the battlefield, Lieutenant Eli Quint accepted his appointment as a junior officer cadet to the ranks of the decimated 17th Brontian Longknives, for the time being placed in a single squad for close observation and battlefield experience. If he were lucky, he might be placed with a few of the surviving veterans...and not a group of rookies, like him.

Shipping out to Arajo VII would be their first assignment...and for some of the men it would also be their last. Quint only hoped he had what it takes to accompany these men through the flames of war, and out the other side unscathed...even if only to run headlong into the next inferno.

Equipment: Las-cells, Flak Armour, Rations, Infantryman’s Uplifting Primer.

Weapons: Lasgun, Laspistol, combat knife, frag grenades.

·
Registered
18 Posts
bloodthrister, go for the medic if you want but I want a different name from you (shock, surprise!) I do get a bit tired of always seeing a Rico or Christine Stantinus in every RP your in, can't possibly get to confusing if you use a completely different name every once in a while.
Shouldn't that go for Snowy as well? I've noticed he's made a James Virtus or someone-Virtus in just about every RP as well. Nothing against Snowy, but even I was starting to get a bit tired of it and I was only checking over new RP threads every once in a while :)

Also I've noticed everyone seems to have a scar from something or other... haha

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Heh, that would make sense now wouldn't it Nick. Yeah Snowy, since I had bloodthrister change his character name its only fair that I ask you to do so as well.

Nick, as before your guy is fine, glad to have you aboard here.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Is there still room for me? If so he is my character.

Name: Jonas Tolner

Appearance: Jonas is about 5'9" tall with short black hair. He has dark brown eyes and pale skin.

Personality: Jonas is rather silent and back drawn most of the time, but that is because he is nervous of going away from his home planet
and friends, and knowing that he is probably not going to return.

Background: Jonas lived a good life on Brontian. Or at least good in his eyes. He had friends and lived without getting into to much trouble.
He was born in a village that was near one of the oceans.
At the age of 12 he decided he was going to join the PDF forces when old enough, but since the 17th needed reinforcements
he joined the Imperial Guard instead.

Equipment: Las-celss, flak armour, rations and a infantryman’s uplifting primer.
Weapons: Lasgun, combat knife and frag grenades.

Hope it is ok.

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Like I mentioned to you earlier, other than the appearance being a bit on the short side, don't see anything wrong.

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Alright, looking good so far; as of right now we have the following:

Serpio Savales - emporershand89
Tabitha Sendo - bloodthrister
Tine Cas - High_Seraph
Eli Quint - dr_nick22
Jonas Tolner - Flerden

James Virtus - snowy
Cid Arcanus - darkblade

Depending on things with snowy and darkblade, might see this starting soon.

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Alright, so that is the start of the action thread.

Few reminders for people, both playing and those who may still be interested:

- If I haven't included it in an update, feel free to ask me questions via PM as some people tend to do. Who knows, I might give you something useful, the OK for an action or idea or something else. Don't decide on your own to blunder forward beyond the point in the story I have everyone up to. (If, for example, I update and have your character about to enter a room, I don't want to see you blow a hole in the wall and decide this room I'm gonna have you in is a hallway with a chaos marine waiting for you.)

- Be creative, be realistic, work together; PMing other players and maybe conferring what you plan on having your characters do might yield some cool results, you never know. I might throw you in a situation that requires it.

- People are free to join in at any time before the story hits 70% complete, by that time there is not enough story left for you to develop all that much. Generally, if your come in after the 50% mark your may find yourself struggling, as thats half the story gone and the remaining players will have become like a family of sorts. (Ask deathbringer, euphrati, dark angel, unxpekted22, and blackapostlevilhelm; worked with them almost a year now and they will back that up.)

- Keep out of character stuff to an utter minimum; in addition to being the recruitment thread, you need to say something not in character say it here. That also goes for double or multi-posting, you have an edit button so make sure you know how to use it. Only GM's should be multi-posting in their RP's (and thats generally, not always.)

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
If its out of character stuff, post it here; otherwise take a look, I made the action thread earlier today, High_Seraph and Snowy have already posted.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Just thought I would note that for nearly a year now in 'The Claw' I have made use of italics for the inner conflict/thoughts and only used bold in speech when I wanted to denote a tonal change/ephasis on a certain section. However, I do break my 'speech' away from the main body of text to ensure that it stands alone for reading sake.

I think that Darkreever is more concerned with having inner thoughts and character speech easily seperated and for a player to keep the same style throughout (not bolded in one post, then bolded in the next, then italics in another makes for confusion).

21 - 40 of 89 Posts