Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Runic Sheild of Chaos is a magic sheild that states that any magic weapon used against the holder counts as a bog standard conventional weapon of that type.

The Dark Elven magic weapon Crimson Death is a two handed sword that always strikes at strength 6, and it states that no other modifiers or magic items can modify this.

Which one wins? does the Runic Sheild cut off the Crimson Deaths magic making it into a normal great weapon? or does it still work as normal making the chaos rune sheild a big fat waste of points.

I know that if i had something that reduced the enemies strength, such as the Glaive of Putrification that reduces the enemies strength after wounding wouldn't work. But does the sheild do anything?

·
Registered
324 Posts
I'd say the shield wins out, as it;s not modifying the effect it's canceling it. This is because dwarfs have a rune that reduces the STR of any hit to 5, and wouldn't work against Crimson Death because it's allowing the effect but modifying it. In practice, I suspect you may wind up having to dice off with your opponent. Every round of combat would be more chaotic (chuckle).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, also assuming the sheild is correct would the sword count as a great weapon?

it states that it is a two handed sword but not specifically a great weapon? so what happens?

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Unless specifically stated as a great weapon - it does not count as a great weapon, its just a 2 handed hand weapon that will bounce making a slight "Ting" noise when it hits, followed by the Dark Elf going "eep!"

·
Registered
324 Posts
It's listed as a 2 handed weapon so you can't use it with a shield. And since you HAVE to use your magic weapon...ouch!

·
Super Moderator
8,564 Posts
It's listed as a 2 handed weapon so you can't use it with a shield. And since you HAVE to use your magic weapon...ouch!
As the Shield has made your magical weapon count as an ordinary one, you get the benefit of not having to use it; unexpected benefit there then :biggrin:

·
Registered
324 Posts
Yes, but once you start a combat you have to stick with your choice. So if you didn't start in BtB with the runeshield you'd be stuck with a rubber sword and no shield, wouldn't you

·
Super Moderator
8,564 Posts
Yes, but once you start a combat you have to stick with your choice. So if you didn't start in BtB with the runeshield you'd be stuck with a rubber sword and no shield, wouldn't you
It would depend on whether having the Rune Shield caused the effect, or if you have to actually be using it for the combat.

If the power is always active, or the rune shield bearer picks first then: you do not make your decision on weapons until after you charge, whereas you go into BtB at the end of your charge; therefore you would not be armed with a magic weapon when you came to decide so could go with hand weapon and shield.

If the power is not active until you choose the shield in combat and the rune shield bearer picks second, then you are forced to use your magic weapon which quickly becomes a plank.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Crimson Death wins out.

Had this issue before. Basically, it narrows down to the fact that the Runic shield cancels out the effects of a magic weapon unless the weapon specifically says it cannot be modified.

Crimson death is designed to make the weilder S6 no matter what.

Consequently, it cannot be 'un-made' via the effects of Malekith's Destroyer or the spell 'vauls unmaking' etc.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Actually, Dave, I was thinking more of the "champion accepts challenge from RS bearer, CD wielder is not in BtB/champion is killed, combat continues and now CD wielder must accept challenge and move into BtB or hide in back" situation.

·
Super Moderator
8,564 Posts
Actually, Dave, I was thinking more of the "champion accepts challenge from RS bearer, CD wielder is not in BtB/champion is killed, combat continues and now CD wielder must accept challenge and move into BtB or hide in back" situation.
Ahhh.. I see.

In that case, it is indeed rubber sword time.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Crimson Death wins out.

Had this issue before. Basically, it narrows down to the fact that the Runic shield cancels out the effects of a magic weapon unless the weapon specifically says it cannot be modified.

Crimson death is designed to make the weilder S6 no matter what.

Consequently, it cannot be 'un-made' via the effects of Malekith's Destroyer or the spell 'vauls unmaking' etc.
but i'm not modifying, im cancelling. if i had an effect thatreduced strength by 1 then that wouldn't count.

there is nothing in the runic sheilds rules that says anything about something not working on it

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
I still maintain that CD would win over the shield.

However, I see where you you're coming from and the only thing I can recommend is that you ring GW. I think GW are to loose on their diction in this matter.

They should set certain words to certain effects so there is no cross board confusion.

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
Runic Shield would win IMO.

It says 'Negate the *power* of any magic weapon.... Treat it as an ordinary non-magic weapon."

Crimson death says that the model strikes at S6, with no modifies.

Nullifying a magic weapon has nothing to do with a Strength Modifier. Besides, the no modifier clause is nullified by the Runic Shield anyway, so it doesn't matter.

Crimson Death becomes a normal weapon.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts