Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'The Return of Nagash' is wondrous, but the butcher's bill of famous characters (including from different WFB novels) is too big :grin:

Heavy spoilers to follow:

This book is fantastic

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
'Tis an awesome book, no doubt about it. But believe me, with what i've been told about what Nagash does after he's resurrected, ALL of what we've read will be blown away by what comes next. Seriously, Nagash does nothing small or by halves and I think the next book will show just what a God of Necromancy is capable of when let loose in the mortal world.

The only thing that could have been done better is Clan Mordkin. Read C.L Werner's Black Plague series and compare Clan Mordkin in that to how they are here, they are much better and much much creepier.

LotN

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Sounds mental. Gonna be snapping this, and Josh Reynolds' other novels up ASAP.

Two questions though. Is The Return of Nagash a standalone novel or the opener of a new series? Like, I'm getting opener vibes, but the huge number of spoilers in the other thread is definitely odd. Also, is Josh Reynolds any relation of Anthony Reynolds? I've been off the BL bandwagon for a while and this may be old news to some, lol.

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Two questions though. Is The Return of Nagash a standalone novel or the opener of a new series? Like, I'm getting opener vibes, but the huge number of spoilers in the other thread is definitely odd.
No idea. I asked Josh that very question, also whether or not the End Times would be a series of novels dealing with different events like the Horus Heresy or if this was the start of a new series about Nagash in particular, and he said he couldn't say. The spoilers in the other thread are from the Warhammer: Nagash background book. The Return of Nagash is about Mannfred von Carstein and Arkhan the Black trying to resurrect Nagash.

Also, is Josh Reynolds any relation of Anthony Reynolds? I've been off the BL bandwagon for a while and this may be old news to some, lol.
Not that I know of.

LotN

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Id certainly love to hear it. Nagash surely would fear a repeat of his last intimate encounter with Ghal-maraz.
Based on what happened in Khemri in those spoilers I offered, I really doubt that Ghal-Maraz is something that even remotely concerns Nagash now.

LotN

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
I want the info, don't have it. When did he return and under what circumstances? And whatever else really. Taaaaaa
Well considering that the Storm of Chaos was retconned, I would think that Valten's origin story is the same as before;

http://whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Valten

But now instead of facing Archaon and losing, Valten has SOOOO much more possibility.

LotN

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Ah it was completely retconned then? Don't really follow fantasy as much as 40k tbh. So he never died/vanished then in the first place?
I assume so.

It says a lot about the Storm of Chaos that Valten has, in one battle, become infinitely more badass than he was then. Then he got some nice weapons and gear, went into battle against Archaon, got his ass kicked and then saved by an Orc, and then the Skaven came and killed him.

Now he's the badass who killed Vardek Crom the Conquerer and The Changeling, both in single combat. The former was Archaon's chief lieutenant and one of the most powerful/blessed Chaos Champions in the world, the latter is a Daemon that can assume any form and had already killed the Ar-Ulric, nearly killed Ludwig Schwarzhelm, and did kill half of the Emperor's own Reiksguard.

And then he and Kurt Helborg, and The Changeling before Valten kicked his ass, killed a Great Unclean One together.

LotN

1 - 20 of 20 Posts