Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a tournament for Saturday change points levels on me at the last minute. Due to shipping time I'll be unable to field a smaller point version of my original army (bikes and pods). So due to a complete lack of creativity on my part and the fact that it destroyed my first choice of army in a test game, I'm just going to bring my old 5th edition Space Wolf Razorback army.

80 Wolf Guard Battle Leader (Bolter, MBs, Wolftail Talisman)

155 5x GHs (Melta, Las/plas razorback)

215 6x LFs (5x ML, Las/Plas razorback)

I already know I'm going to get blasted for this. But if anyone liked razorspam in 5th or has some good ideas I'd like to hear from you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've never used Razorspam before, so I cannot say I am speaking from experience. However, keep in mind that Razorbacks are only AV 11, and so can really easily be glanced to death, especially at 1500 points. You may think that vehicles become a lot more survivable with the change to the vehicle damage table, however people will still glance you to death as they did in 6th edition. But to the list... The idea is good, however, keep in mind that you have a very low model count and very little Anti-infantry. Against Gaunt or Guard swarms, you will die. I would therefore suggest giving at least 3 of the razorbacks heavy flamers instead. I think you have too much anti-tank. Maybe downgrade some of the las/plas razorbacks to normal bolterbacks, and, with the extra points, get some different unit types. I don't think your list has to be 100% razorback squads - you can still make your point with 4-6 razorbacks. Consider some Thunderwolves for counter-attack power. Good luck with the list.
Heirophant.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you play your Long Fangs right then you'll do fine against swarms. Fifteen frag missiles takes the wind out of any mob.

What you need to focus on is keeping as many Razorbacks in cover as possible. Negating even one glance could make the difference between an enemy needing to spend a whole second shooting to kill one tank or not.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I appreciate the input. You've got some really good ideas. I was going to try and survive without CC as much as possible. And if it's unavoidable, use two or three GH squads together with all their attacks. And you're definitely right about the swarms and hordes. In my mind the big thing right now are super heavies. Not many hordes, at least here. And if my friend brings his Dark Eldar with a chimera blob and beastmasters I figured the Missile Launchers firing frag would balance it out. Also with so much cover and jink now, I thought it would take 8 lascannons to drop two or three tanks. I wanted the plasmas for the anti MC/Terminator. I would be willing to compromise on the meltas becoming flamers in the list. Then I can use the extra points for a proper Rune Priest instead of the useless WGBL. I just know this guy has two baneblades he's never used and one of our Necron players has whatever the necron super heavy is. There will also be another SW list and an Iron Hands drop pod list. Just based on knowing a general idea of what will be at the tournament was really only worried about scarabs and large xenos squads.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts