Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm ready to start a new army. After 6 years of Tyranids I wan't something completely different. So here it goes.

HQ
Sammael----------------------------------------------------205
-Jetbike
Chaplain----------------------------------------------------130
-Bike

Troops
Attack Squadron--------------------------------------------305
-Sarg with PW
-6 Bikers 2 with MM
-Attack Bike with MM
Attack Squadron--------------------------------------------455
-Sarg with PF
-4 Bikers 2 with Flamer
-Attack Bike with MM
-Apothicary
-Ravenwing Standard Barrer
-Speeder with Heavy Bolter+Assault Cannon
Attack Squadron---------------------------------------------255
-Sarg with PW
-6x Bikers 2 with Flamer
Fast Attack
Support Squadron--------------------------------------------75
-Speeder with MM+Heavy Flamer
-Speeder with MM+Heavy Flamer

I think that it should compete with almost everything at 1500 pts. I'm Wondering if anyone can give me an example of what could run over this list. I don't think it can be just flattened by much if anyhting but I'd like to know where it could improve.

·
Registered
324 Posts
-Jetbike
Hey look, its mr "i am the law" :-D

Its actually a pretty good list imo. Good amount of anti-tank, plenty of templates for bugs and mushrooms. The only thing i see is your upgraded attack bike squadron should only be 445pts by my count. Also, thats alot of points sunk into 1 unit at 1500pts. Id hold off on this sqd till 2000pts. until then i would put more troops out there and another speeder. than when you go to 2000pts, that unit will fit in there perfectly. But who knows, your really fast, your T5, it may workout. So all in all, id have to say i like it.

happy hunting and welcome to the imperium! :victory:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll always concider myself THE hive mind!!!!!!! lol

Its deceiving, the points cost on that squad. the speeder and attack bike act as entirely seperate units if im not mistaken. there is a debate on wether the speeder is a scoring unit or not i think, since its a vehicle. I could just buy the speeder in FA and it wouldn't look so daunting, but if it scores I'd like it to be in there

the speeder is 100pts so it would just be the most expensive by 50pts or so

Anyone have any clarification on the attack squadron rules for combat squads? or know where I can find some?

my biggest question is: do the Attack bike and Speeder ALWAYS act on their own or only if you combat squad the bikes aswell?

and

Is the speeder a scoring unit since the codex overides the rulebook? correct?

Oh and I don't get the: (Hey its MR. "I am the law") referennce

·
Registered
53 Posts
The Speeder and the bike, when purchased in an attack squadron, is always treated as a separate unit. By RAW, DA Codex Page 27 in the grey box in the corner: The squadron's attack bike and land speeder are purchased together with the squadron and then deployed as the squadron's bikes, but from then on they always operate as completely independent scoring units of one model.

So, again...by RAW your attack bike and land speeder in your attack squadron are independent scoring units. So as Codex trumps rulebook, they will always count as a scoring unit.

Some other things of note with your list. At such a low points game you really do not want any of your squads getting into hand-to-hand. You want them moving fast around the table striking at flanks and the rear armor of vehicles. So with that in perspective the chaplain on the bike is superfluous. With the increase in psykers though a librarian on the bike might also be a better choice to run with the command squad. Not only can your Apothecary ignore one wound on the squad or another squad within 6" of him, but with the librarians force barrier you can ignore any shooting hits that would normally instant kill a bike in the squad. It adds that extra survivability to that squad. Also, without the chaplain, the banner becomes useless, and with that you can save 25 points.

I also prefer Sammael on the speeder. Mainly because he can die really quickly to mass firepower while on the jetbike. His T5 only gets you so far, and if your opponent forces enough saves on you, then you will fail and he will die. While on the speeder though, you can hide him behind your other fast attack speeders, popping him out to take potshots with his twin-linked HB and AC.

So, based on what you want from your OP, this is what I feel would work best......

HQ
-Land Speeder
Librarian----------------------------------------------------150
-Bike

Troops
Attack Squadron #1 ----------------------------------------420
-Sarg with PW and MB
-4 Bikers 2 with Flamer
-Attack Bike with MM
-Apothecary
-Speeder with Heavy Bolter+Assault Cannon
Attack Squadron #2-----------------------------------------305
-Sarg with PW
-5 Bikers, 2 with MG
-Attack Bike with MM
Attack Squadron #3------------------------------------------245
-Sarg with PW
-5x Bikers 2 with Flamer
-Attack Bike with MM

Fast Attack
-Speeder with MM
-Speeder with MM

So I changed:
  • Sammy onto a Speeder
  • Replaced chaplain with a librarian
  • removed the banner off of the command squad and replaced the Sgt's PF with a PW
  • Added an attack bike onto your last Attack Squadron
  • Removed the Heavy Flamers off of your landspeeders. I did this because for you to fire both weapons, which would make the weapon upgrade worthwhile, you would have to move 6" which would defeat the purpose of the landspeeders. You already have plenty of templates in the army (two squads with flamers, Sammy with his horde thinning TL-HG and TL-AC, and librarian hellfire). With the saved points there and some points saved elsewhere allowed me to put in an additional attack bike.
Here is also a link to some great tactics and strategy to keep in mind while running a pure Ravenwing army. Linky

The thread is fairly long, but is an excellent source of tactics.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WOW! you litterally just made all the changes I was planning to play around with. I was going to change the chaplain to a libby, I wanted to take the banner and PF out of the one squad since I shouldn't be getting into assault with a full strenght unit anyways, with those points I was planning on getting another Attack Bike, and I was concidering Sammael in the speeder to be a destraction for those otherwise ID shots to bikes. Also those MM speeders or ten points over costed. So with that I thought I'd get melta bombs with those points for each of the bike squads just in case they are needed.

Are you a Mind reader????????

·
Registered
53 Posts
Are you a Mind reader????????
Haha, not really. But the list that I wrote up is the same list I used in a tournament not to long ago. It is very effective if used correctly. It is a very fun, very fluffy list. The biggest thing to remember is stay as far away from close combat as possible. Only get into close combat on your terms if there is no other option left.

Something else to think about, 3 Ravenwing battleforce boxes will get you 96% of your army, and all you will need is a custom built librarian.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea my plan was to buy 3 battleforce sets. A few questions about your tournament. Was it highly meched up or is you local metagame not to reliant on vehicle spam.

If it was full of mech, can you deal with it with only MMs and Meltaguns? or do you find that its a hard game when there are a ton of vehicles across from you?

As a Tyranid player the anti tank guns are pointed at my MCs so idk what to expect from this list for Anti tank.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts