Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The planet is dying, there is no question about that, but there are far too many rumours as to what is causing :said: global warming, and its effects, but i believe there are more things in effect at the moment, so this here is simply a discussion, on how we think the world is gonna end/die/explode/implode/etc/etc...

how do you think that the earth, or life within its atmosphere, or atmosphere itself, just the earth and life in general, how do you think it will all end?

-my theory, we know there is a hole in the atmoshere... and i believe this hole will expand to a point where it will incinerate the earth with the heat and radiation from the sun.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Um. You do realize that the the earth used to have a much warmer atmosphere and smaller ice caps. Something called the ice age cooled it all down. Some scientists have concluded that the earth goes through hot and cold periods and we are entering a hot period. Not saying humans aren't speeding up the process but you literally can find data supporting both sides of the coin.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Humans will kill themselves out long before we have to worry about some hole in the ozone layer (which I don't fully believe tbh). There will be a nuke war or some biological attack is my guess.

·
So be it.
1,901 Posts
I would just like to posit that because the earth is not alive it cannot die :p But either we'll work together for once and get off this rock to colonize elsewhere or we will kill ourselves in nuclear war. Or something.

·
Super Moderator
10,976 Posts
I'm all for a 40% die-off cataclysm.
Why?

To the op, nope. It'a all crap. People will believe that because someone reputeable has said it but what you rarely here is the actual studies which show that these changes are normal and cyclical. Probably because there's less sensation to be had from the news "Everything is normal."

·
Registered
951 Posts
I would just like to posit that because the earth is not alive it cannot die
I would have made the same point myself. However, there are so many possible ways that life on earth will go extinct that it's a completely pointless exercise to speculate how the world's going to end without taking accurate measurements and making conclusions off what we know.

It might be a disease that eliminates all other life on earth then can't adapt to a changing environment and so dies itself. It might be that we get some fuckhuge lump of rock coming down to kill us all. It might just be the sun going apeshit and eating us.

I will also point out that Global Warming is happening and that humans are accelerating (or perhaps even causing) it. However, it could only pose a threat to life in general if no organisms are given time to evolve to exist in the new climate. And then you always have the extremophiles that already survive similar conditions today, which could then spread across more of the earth.

Now I must stop myself before I speculate.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Mass extinctions don't mean the entire earth dies--just 75% or more of species. There have been 5 mass extinctions in the earth's history (asteroid strikes, super-volcanoes, untimely ice ages, etc, often multiple happening within a several thousand year period (i.e. extremely rapidly) to cause die-offs), and it's pretty clear that at present rates of extinction, we may be at the brink of a 6th mass extinction--a human-caused one.

That said, saying "the earth is dying there are clearly too many rumors about how it's going to end" without any sort of sources cited, backing up, or verification, is patently ridiculous. If you want to engage me in serious conversation, give me something to seriously talk about. Hope for the planet is not dead: since we've stopped using CFCs in refrigerators and the like, the hole in the ozone layer has shrunk substantially; in the past 8 years Brazilian logging in the Amazon has decreased 80%; alternate non-fossil fuels (3rd gen bio-fuel) and power sources (wind, solar, wave) are on the verge of breakthroughs or reaching the stage of development where they are a financial possibility; Elon Musk is making electric cars (though "clean" coal, a finite and polluting resource, is making most electricity at the moment--not going to last) and is developing fully-reusable rockets for space entry/exit.

We've fucked up the environment, and have the hubris to believe that we can develop geo-engineering projects to bring things back in line (small-scale terraforming, practice for later planets?) like dropping iron dust into the pacific to cause algae blooms (to suck up CO2 from the atmosphere, where it will settle to the ocean floor), organisms to eat the plastic and crude oil dumped into the ocean, etc. But this planet and species are not doomed by any means, so back up your wild doom-saying with some fucking facts and research, not just a general "life sucks and everything's terrible" teenaged sulk.

·
Registered
379 Posts
The planet is not dying. Stop listening to media fear mongering.
I'm with Grimaldus on this one, I see no reason whatsoever to assume that our planet is dying. Sure we stripped it almost completely of all it's resources but that is beside the point. Now the extinction of the human species is something I can see happening although it would most likely be caused by our own stupidity as the planet itself will continue to exist just as it has done long before life itself.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
And again Lux, sources or GTFO.

I see no evidence of the planet dying, sunflowers counter radiation. There's microbes that break down oil.
Metals rust and break down, even plastic will break down.

The planet will take care of itself.

·
Thordis
2,438 Posts
Mass extinctions don't mean the entire earth dies--just 75% or more of species. There have been 5 mass extinctions in the earth's history (asteroid strikes, super-volcanoes, untimely ice ages, etc, often multiple happening within a several thousand year period (i.e. extremely rapidly) to cause die-offs), and it's pretty clear that at present rates of extinction, we may be at the brink of a 6th mass extinction--a human-caused one.

That said, saying "the earth is dying there are clearly too many rumors about how it's going to end" without any sort of sources cited, backing up, or verification, is patently ridiculous. If you want to engage me in serious conversation, give me something to seriously talk about. Hope for the planet is not dead: since we've stopped using CFCs in refrigerators and the like, the hole in the ozone layer has shrunk substantially; in the past 8 years Brazilian logging in the Amazon has decreased 80%; alternate non-fossil fuels (3rd gen bio-fuel) and power sources (wind, solar, wave) are on the verge of breakthroughs or reaching the stage of development where they are a financial possibility; Elon Musk is making electric cars (though "clean" coal, a finite and polluting resource, is making most electricity at the moment--not going to last) and is developing fully-reusable rockets for space entry/exit.

We've fucked up the environment, and have the hubris to believe that we can develop geo-engineering projects to bring things back in line (small-scale terraforming, practice for later planets?) like dropping iron dust into the pacific to cause algae blooms (to suck up CO2 from the atmosphere, where it will settle to the ocean floor), organisms to eat the plastic and crude oil dumped into the ocean, etc. But this planet and species are not doomed by any means, so back up your wild doom-saying with some fucking facts and research, not just a general "life sucks and everything's terrible" teenaged sulk.
this and so much of the last sentence.

:victory:

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts

·
Banned
7,889 Posts

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
The earth, and life itself are in no immediate or even long term risk of destruction. Now we may make the planet unlivable for our race and many other animals, and plants, but lets not flatter ourselves here, the planet doesn't need us nor does it need the vast mejority of life to maintain some form of multicellular life. Now eventually a planet killer meteorite will hit our world, and if it doesn't then the sun will defiantly finish the job when it finally collapses into a white dwarf (Note it's not big enough to become a red giant when it starts to die.) However these are so far off that its not even worth talking about (relative to our pathetically small life spans).

·
Registered
379 Posts
And again Lux, sources or GTFO.

I see no evidence of the planet dying, sunflowers counter radiation. There's microbes that break down oil.
Metals rust and break down, even plastic will break down.

The planet will take care of itself.
You're seeing things that are not there mate..:grin:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts