Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has been discussed before, but I think there's a lot still to talk about on the subject.

Why does no-one use a painted army?

I don't know what it's like in your area, but of the hundreds of times I've gone into games workshop, the times I've seen two fully painted armies duking it out can be counted on one hand.

I know people start new armies and want to game straight away, but there are units that can fit in any lists, so what's wrong with painting them up and playing small games to start off with, or using your old painted army whilst making the new one.

I have enough painted to make a decent army and yeah, sometimes I'll use stuff I intend to get painted, but I'm not fielding a grey legion.

Yes, the hobby isnt a big part ofthe hobby, for everyone, but everyone and their aunt seems to have a beakie army thats just undercoated. How are they blood angels when they dont have red power armour? I can name about 10 people with armies like this, normally with a land raider painted ultrasmurf blue. Do people not strive to have something different? something that will turn heads?

Painting most armies isn't hard. I think I could do 50 beakies to tabletop standard in 4 weeks. Citadel make a spray gun for a reason. Fill your pot with enchanted blue, spray, drybrush ultramarines, do eyes, bolter, wash, done. Hell, If that fails, add a few transfers and you've got an army.

Am I ranting...? obviously ideally people will use painted army, but people will not always have the time etc, but not painting an army is just lazy and a bit inconsiderate IMO.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Sorry to hear that's the way your end, Morfangdakka. My local GW used to be inundated with half-painted or unpainted armies right up to the point where the manager began giving out points in competitions and tourneys for having a painted army.

Now every army is fully painted, though we still have a problem with too many people using Space Marines.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Fortunately, my FLGS is predominantly painted. Though there are a few people who barely even assemble their models, they do take the time to at least occasionally paint. Of course, this may have something to do with me only really playing Fantasy, which usually attracts more vets, and has less Ultramarine noobies.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Probably close to 90% of the armies I see are fully painted, and that includes ones owned by guys who only play at their homes or at clubs. They aren't necessarily painted by them though, and there's several GD - level painters in my area who charge $200/250 per Squad of 10 for a quality tabletop finish, and they're booked up for months in advance.

Seeing 2 painted armies on a board is more appealing and evocative to watch than 2 bare plastic or black undercoated ones. Me, I could care less if an army is painted or not though, and I would never turn down a game against an unpainted one, although I have seen it happen.

Still, everyone in this hobby likes different aspects of it moreso than others...doesn't bother me.

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
Most people field armies that are a work in progress - at least in my area.

Personally I don't see anything wrong with this. I know that I wouldn't want to paint up my 2,000 point army that I intend to use for a tournament only to find that two or three of the units aren't performing how I'd like and that I basically wasted my time painting them.

As long as the people in your area are making steady progress toward having painted armies I don't see anything to complain about.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Honestly I enjoy the painting more than playing.
Though my current Emperor's kids army is small the ones I use are all painted.

I think because some people like playing more than painting.
Maybe even some of them are not very good at painting, so they leave well enuff alone.

·
Registered
585 Posts
When I was younger the local GW didn't allow unpainted models to be used on it's games evenings. Only exception was if it was a recent release. So, because of this I've always fully painted an army before playing. GW's these days seem to be more motivated towards selling products than encouraging people to paint their armies. Recently in a local GW a lad was showing off that he had brought along all 5000 points of his Chaos Marine army. Basically he had painted his Lord (base wasn't done) and the rest was just stuck together and spray undercoated. Now if you've collected an army for that long and it's that big at least take the time to paint some of it.

Every time an unpainted army is used on the field of battle another of the Emperor's withered brain cells die!

·
Registered
488 Posts
I almost die laughing every time I see an armless, unpainted soldier, especially if he's primed in black.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I, myself, have an unpainted army. This is in part to time and money at present, but things are looking that I will be able to start soon. Am I happy that I have gray models, some with paint residue from my 7 year ago attempt at painting after stripping? Of course not. But until I have the ability to fully paint my army - I want to play until the cows come home.

Some people get nothing out of painting. Warhammer is a game that fits everyone's desires, be that painting, gaming, modelling, or a combination of all three. If you get nothing out of painting, why paint? It is not like it is illegal to field unpainted units.

·
Powered by Squig Tea
7,589 Posts
Every time an unpainted army is used on the field of battle another of the Emperor's withered brain cells die!
LMAO, this might bring me to be able to play in grey.

Most people field armies that are a work in progress - at least in my area.

Personally I don't see anything wrong with this. I know that I wouldn't want to paint up my 2,000 point army that I intend to use for a tournament only to find that two or three of the units aren't performing how I'd like and that I basically wasted my time painting them.

As long as the people in your area are making steady progress toward having painted armies I don't see anything to complain about.
Bang on the Money KD, my local GW and other gaming groups follow the same as long as progress is in evidence then its ok attitude.

I can't stand playing against TinBoyz,
I know that for some painting is not the draw but a base coat in the right colour is the bare minimum imo.

·
Registered
800 Posts
On a Thursday day/night is when I game most at my flgs, and honestly out of say 20 gamers, there is about 14 unpainted armies.

I personally hate fielding an army unpainted, I will use my already painted armies till a new one is done.

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For those of you that play with or against mostly painted armies that is nice to hear. i can understand building a new army and WIP armies. I even will field new units that are not painted while I get them painted up.

More of what I am talking about are people with armies that get no furthur than primed. Prime example is another ork player that I have known for over a year. The first day I meet him he had a 2000 point army fully assembled and primed black. It has been over a year and not one model has any paint on it. He is not the only one most of the players at the store have grey or primer armies that is the disapponting part. THe competitive guys at my store are the ones with the painted armies which makes them fun to play against even if they kick my ass.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
i always try to paint my modals before i use them. Hell i'm not using my new Guard force until it's painted (and that a toal of 1 sentiel, 3 heavy weapons and a total of 35 guardsmen of various types. It's taken me a week just to paint about 10 modals.

Anyway i often prefure to use painted modals and the ONLY unpainted modals i sometimes use are my Death Company as 4 of them are missing shoulder pads and back packs and the rest i don't want to start until the other 4 are finished.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Personaly I dont care as long as there is some Progress. The ones who never paint other me. I like to take pictures of a Fun battle and a White/Black or none prime army doesnt look pretty. However when theres a Tourney at my LGSs the rules are Fully painted Armies. So again its strange that the HardCore Gamers are the ones with the best painted armies. WTF does that really say about the Joe Shmoe gamer whos doesnt paint his army?

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
A bare plastic army is far, far, far better than a paper tube army. :biggrin:

I like my stuff painted. I like my opponents stuff painted too. Reality is, some or most is going to be naked. So be it, we all can't have the time to do up a full army with real life getting in the way. It wouldn't hurt to take some spray primer followed a quick coat of a base color, (either sprayed or brushed) to the models though, as that wouldn't be too time consuming for the average person.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I hate playing against Unpainted and non-WYSIWYG Armies.

I once apologised to an opponent before a 4,000 point a side Apocalypse battle when I realised during deployment that I hadn't flocked the bases of four Fire Dragons that were otherwise fully painted.

And as for some people not having the time to paint their armies, I bet that if some system of rewarding painted armies with extra war gear or assets was introduced, those self same people would suddenly find the time to paint...

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I enjoy both painting and playing, but I see them as seperate aspects of the Hoby, Every time I see a completely epic painted army (a SOB army that came by last time I was at my FLGS comes to mind) I always take time to admire it and compliment the owner, and I am slowly plodding away at my own army. But in the middle of a game, I could care less. When the dice are rolling, paint means nothing, onyl luck, list, and stratagy. And thats the way I like it.

At my FLGS there is no painting enforcement whatsoever, but at least half the armies are fully or mostly painted every time I go, and about half of whats left is partly painted. On top of that, out of the fully painted armies, I think the proportion of "fully painted" to "My god its amazing!" armies is pretty high. (someday I will remember to take a camera...)

·
Registered
252 Posts
Personally, I find it mildly annoying when playing an opponent with a non-painted army just because I feel like if I, father of 4 and full time employed software developer, can manage to find the time to get my army painted...

But yes, I understand not everybody enjoys it the same and maybe it isn't fair to demand that other people get as into the painting as I do.

Having said that, there is a fairness issue. Sometimes unpainted (or only primered) units can be difficult to distinguish to an opponent who doesn't know the units or army well.

An example (from Warhammer Fantasy):

I was playing against a Dwarf player and from my side of the table, I couldn't tell the warriors from the underminers from the silverbeards. They were all primed black and looked the same to me. Kinda hard to make a judgement on which unit to hit with which.

Another example:

Some Space Marine armies rely on color schemes on their armor to differentiate veterans from regulars or sergeants from rank & file troops. Sometimes even the controlling player gets confused if he's using the same models to represent both and they're all primer grey.

I'll tell you what's REALLY annoying though... Unassembled models. In a game that uses true LoS if you can't be bothered to at least assemble your models then IMHO one could make a strong argument that it's cheating. The last time I showed flexibility on that point was when I played my son. He has Eldar, I have Black Templars. He had two Wraithlords to be converted from the old metal Eldar Dreadnought kits. The kits were unassembled but I reluctantly agreed to let him play them by using the bases with a small pile of parts on each. We had a reasonably clear battlefield so I didn't think LoS would become a problem.

Well I was wrong and naturally when the question of whether cover saves came up there was no possible way to really get a good perspective so we had to dice for it each time. This is not a good thing.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I don't field a painted army when there is no need to unless I'm practicing my 13th coy because it is my tourny winner, and I am proud of it!

For some armies that NEED the paint I can see where you guys are coming from but when the army has no real need for paint (ie to determine the type of squad and such) but you guys are just pissed because of a reason that stacks up to "because they aren't pretty" I find people acting immature about the fact that "so-sos unit X isn't painted therefore he isn't worth playing" it seems like a stupid reason when it doesn't inhibit the game in anyway

Now for my reason of only having one list-worth of wolves painted. I don't like painting. Simple as that, I hate it, it's time consuming and in the end always pisses me off when I sit down to do it (which takes a lot as I am usually a peaceful person) so I have my army that I play tournaments with which NEED to be painted to enter painted so I can play. but my nids and other 5000-8000 points of marines are unpainted except for a basecoat for if the day comes I can get enough patience to sit down.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts