Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i was thinking about it and it says at one point horus saved the emperors life by cutting off the arm of an ork warboss choking the emperor. now as i understand it the primarchs are badass copies of the emperor so the emperor has to be better then them. so this warboss would have killed the emperor. Who was this warboss cause he would have to be a real tuff boy for him to be able to match the emperor in a fight.

·
description whore
2,864 Posts
Not if he got behind the emperor so as the emperor turns from slaying one enemy his neck is already encased in green fingers.

What's more interesting is why the emperor didn't boil his balls with his mind, is it possible the emperor would rather die than use sorcery?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
but i would think the emperer being such a superiuor being/warrior would be aware enough to know there is an ork warboss behind him, also warbosses are rather large they aint to good at sneaking about.

·
Registered
328 Posts
but i would think the emperer being such a superiuor being/warrior would be aware enough to know there is an ork warboss behind him, also warbosses are rather large they aint to good at sneaking about.
You ask any good martial artist what you do when someone tries to hit you from behind while you're not aware and they'll give you the same answer, "You get hit."

No amount of training or skill is going to prevent a good sneak attack, and if the Emperor had any supernatural senses it looks like they weren't working too well when he needed them.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I think that the Emperor let the Warboss choke him as a sort of test for Horus.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Its very much like that giant plot hole that happened in Episode 3 of the star wars trilogy, so I'll explain it how lucas did.

The jedi couldn't possibly fight back cause he didn't even suspect that there was a threat from the clone troopers. (Lame I know but it might apply.)

I am not saying the warboss was being sneaky, But I'm saying maybe the emperor didn't even think of the ork as a threat so didn't see him coming (Perhaps he'd already gutted him, and just didn't think to double-tap).

Besides how the hell are you going to strangle the emperor to death unless your doing it with a power klaw.

·
Registered
113 Posts
in the heat of the battle (close combat) i would think, it could be difficult to see anything but the enemy in front of you. but there is a point, that the emperor is superhuman, superpsyker and he should have known about that warboss. Maybe as a psyker he was a pregog ( sees possible futures ) and he knew that Horus would be there for him... just a thought.

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
The Emperor is not omnipotent or invincible. He can die and is not the most physically strong entity in existence.

Orks as we know grow in size the more successful they are, some are even known to have been the size of battle-tanks. The Emperor may well have genuinely been losing in a fight to an Ork Warboss. As for why he didn't use his psychic abilities, maybe the Warboss' Waaagh! psychic field was so strong/potent it prevented the Emperor from doing so. Or maybe the Emperor couldn't bring his powers to bear, or muster the concentration needed considering he was being choked.

Personally I don't find it too hard to believe that the Emperor was losing and Horus saved his life.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
CotE has it right, look at Snagrod from Rynn's World- he's a gigantic Ork that's been alive for over 1,000 years. You just never hear of an Ork dying from old age, it might be because they all die in battle but then again unlike Space Marines you also never hear of them becoming enfeebled by the passing of time either.

The Ork that throttled the Emperor could have been around for thousands of years, something that ancient who lives on war would probably be experienced enoguh to get his meaty paws on the Emperor's throat some how.

·
Registered
20 Posts
There's also the theory that I heard that says that the emperor isn't as big and tough as he appears to be. That the giant,shiny,golden thing he has going on is just an illusion.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Is there not a fluff tidbit about a individual who stated they could see the emperor for what he truly is? That the golden aura and image of beauty and strength is a faux illusion, that he's actually a very horrific and disturbing looking being.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Where is this story about the warboss from?

Any ork vs the Emperor = lolaskates.

Instadeath for any shitty greenskin. Big just means dumb as fuck when it comes to orks.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
The Emperor is not omnipotent or invincible. He can die and is not the most physically strong entity in existence.

Orks as we know grow in size the more successful they are, some are even known to have been the size of battle-tanks. The Emperor may well have genuinely been losing in a fight to an Ork Warboss. As for why he didn't use his psychic abilities, maybe the Warboss' Waaagh! psychic field was so strong/potent it prevented the Emperor from doing so. Or maybe the Emperor couldn't bring his powers to bear, or muster the concentration needed considering he was being choked.

Personally I don't find it too hard to believe that the Emperor was losing and Horus saved his life.
CotE has it right, look at Snagrod from Rynn's World- he's a gigantic Ork that's been alive for over 1,000 years. You just never hear of an Ork dying from old age, it might be because they all die in battle but then again unlike Space Marines you also never hear of them becoming enfeebled by the passing of time either.

The Ork that throttled the Emperor could have been around for thousands of years, something that ancient who lives on war would probably be experienced enoguh to get his meaty paws on the Emperor's throat some how.
I third that chaps. I honestly find GW quiet brilliant. Not in marketing or public relations, but in story telling and fluff. The Imperium is built on lies and potraying the Emperor as a (very false) God that look at a planet and blew it up. He was a Mortal that was brought low in a fight against Horus and now like a cancer feeds off the souls of 1000 Psykers a day while churches that he originaly banned praise him.

This Ork was more than likely a big ass mofo with attitude that nearly choked out the Big E durring one of the biggest Astartes vs Ork fights in the history of 40k. Its not that hard to belive. Sanguines had been beaten by a Blood Thirster. Fulgrim was possessed by a Daemon. Horus himself was brought low by a nasty powerful sword. Jhonson was KOed by his second in command.
These Primarchs are one step below the Emperor, and yet these things have shown to beat them, so is the Emperor being beaten by a LR size Warboss with a Killa Can for a Klaw that hard to belive. :wink:

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Mortal?

Hardly. Not unless mortals live for thousands of years, anyway...

I don't think that we can assume anything (even his possible weaknesses) about the Emperor yet, as almost nothing is known about him.

That DEFINITELY goes for anything that would assume he wasn't one of the most powerful entities in the universe (on par with any of the chaos gods). Especially considering almost everything so far has desribed him as such.

I think that the _only_ insight that has been granted of the Emperor so far is in The Last Church, and in Legion. Legion features Grammaticus, who actually met him, and the last church features a man that has seen visions of the Emperor, apparently (as well as his encounter with him at the church itself).

All else is tales and myths, and IMO is just a load of trash talk or worship.

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
Mortal?

Hardly. Not unless mortals live for thousands of years, anyway...
Mortals can live for thousands of years...

I don't think that we can assume anything (even his possible weaknesses) about the Emperor yet, as almost nothing is known about him.
Well we can apply the Via Negativa in a sense to the Emperor. We may not have much information on him, what he is or the extent of his powers. But we can logically state what he is not.

For example hes not Omnipotent, hes not immortal, hes not (or wasn't) completely removed from humanity, etc. Which can then in turn give us a concept of what he is.

The story goes that he was being strangled by an Ork Warboss and Horus saved his life. I don't see why we can't just take this at face value and stop trying to justify how its false because 'The Emperor pwnnzzz!!11!'. :)

Especially considering almost everything so far has desribed him as such.
The vast majority of sources concerning the Emperor are written by Imperials who worship the Emperor as a god... If there not bias I don't know what is.

·
Registered
328 Posts
That DEFINITELY goes for anything that would assume he wasn't one of the most powerful entities in the universe (on par with any of the chaos gods). Especially considering almost everything so far has desribed him as such.
We can safely assume that the Emperor was one of the most powerful entities in existence. Saying he was on par with the chaos gods, though, is very far-fetched. When I think of quantifying the Emperor's power, I use the same rule as I use for the Space Marines: much more powerful than some people think, but not nearly as powerful as many would like to believe.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
What source describes the emperor as being strangled to near-death by an ork?

Without citation, then it does not exist, and is just some rancid fanfiction.

If he lives without ageing, then he is immortal - he IS immortal. He does not age.

Being killable is not the same as being mortal. Vampires are immortal, but they can be killed.

Everyone should prolly try reading the lexicanum page on the Emperor. It's pretty good, and has citations, too. There are sources on there describing the Emperor as a an amalgum of many powerful beings, in fact. It is not farfetched to believe that he is on par with ALL of the chaos gods simultaneously, in fact, considering that there are sources that lend to the argument that he is in fact only around to keep chaos from overunning the entire galaxy - like a balance to the equation.

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
What source describes the emperor as being strangled to near-death by an ork?

Without citation, then it does not exist, and is just some rancid fanfiction.
Its not fanfiction. Its stated in official source material. I believe it may be The Collected Visions, but i'll have to look that up for you.

If he lives without ageing, then he is immortal - he IS immortal. He does not age.
Who says he lives without ageing?

The Oxford Reference definition of immortal is as follows: 'living forever; never dying or decaying' - so the Emperor is mortal.

Being killable is not the same as being mortal. Vampires are immortal, but they can be killed.
I have come across that definition before, but the general (and dictionary) definition is as I gave above.

Everyone should prolly try reading the lexicanum page on the Emperor.
No thanks :)

It is not farfetched to believe that he is on par with ALL of the chaos gods simultaneously, in fact, considering that there are sources that lend to the argument that he is in fact only around to keep chaos from overunning the entire galaxy - like a balance to the equation.
Direct quotes would be helpful here if you could. :)

1 - 20 of 126 Posts