Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Nectar of the Gods!
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow wargamers, but most especially those in command of tanks;

I'm not sure if this topic has come up before, but if it hasn't then I feel that it should be brought up for the greater good. My issue is with the "Tank Shock" rules... not that there is anything really wrong with it, but there really is no "Squish" aspect to the rule.

I explain: As much fun as it is to roll your lumbering mass towards a group of huddled infantry :shok:, who turn and hoof it as quickly as possible... and potentially make an entire section of an army run like little sissy girls :taunt:... wouldn't it be much more EPIC if you could instead SQUISH THEM?! :laugh:

Now I am aware that during a "Death or Glory" attack there is the chance that someone will become road pizza, but I want more than that... maybe something along the lines of the "Ramming" rule, tweaked a bit... but anyway you cut it, I truly believe that something magical is missing from the game.

Off color reference: Remember the first time you splatted your buddy with a ghost from Halo (1, 2 or 3) all over the digital scenery :laugh:... remember how it made you feel... now I really think that some sort of Squish Rule needs to be implemented... Please let me know if there are others out there, that crave... no, need some high-velocity, heavy metal, squishy goodness... :victory:

End Rant, thank you...

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I made a post sorta like this a few months or so ago. I was hoping that I had missed something myself as it seemed that you just couldnt run someone over. Didnt seem....right to me. But that's the way it is.
To make up for it, me and my son add that (and a few more things) to some homebrew games. It's really the only way I know of to get that "squish" into the game.

·
Nectar of the Gods!
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
... I'm more referring to every other army that doesn't have a deathroller... but point well taken.

·
4,491 Posts
Vehicles are overpowered enough as it is without giving every vehicle in the game a free Deffrolla.

If that was the case, id be spamming Trukks and Warbuggies and squishing everything.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I remember a pretty epic WD battle report with Dark Angels VS Necrons. A large unit of warriors was Tank Shocked by a Land Raider. The Warriors ended up falling back through a unit of Terminators, so in the 3rd Ed crossfire rules, the unit was wiped out. Both sides decided that the Land Raider was the one that really caught the Warriors ;)
The most hilarious part was that wiping out Necrons that way denies them their self-repair roll. Quite appropriate considering the Land Raider would have ground them into metal shavings.

I always felt that Tank Shock should incorporate a similar rule to Sweeping Advance. If a unit failed their morale test, fell back, and that fall back distance was less than where the tank would end up, the unit was caught and crushed. Maybe to balance it, every time a unit is crushed, the crushing vehicle takes a Dangerous Terrain test, with dozer blades etc allowing re-rolls.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I remember a pretty epic WD battle report with Dark Angels VS Necrons. A large unit of warriors was Tank Shocked by a Land Raider. The Warriors ended up falling back through a unit of Terminators, so in the 3rd Ed crossfire rules, the unit was wiped out. Both sides decided that the Land Raider was the one that really caught the Warriors ;)
The most hilarious part was that wiping out Necrons that way denies them their self-repair roll. Quite appropriate considering the Land Raider would have ground them into metal shavings.

I always felt that Tank Shock should incorporate a similar rule to Sweeping Advance. If a unit failed their morale test, fell back, and that fall back distance was less than where the tank would end up, the unit was caught and crushed. Maybe to balance it, every time a unit is crushed, the crushing vehicle takes a Dangerous Terrain test, with dozer blades etc allowing re-rolls.

Then it would be quite possible to kill off a full squad of kitted up nobs or so with a mere rhino... I'd say that's kinda unbalanced tbh.

And anyway what would your reaction be at seeing a tank rumbling your way at full speed? i would get my ass out of the way tbh and not just run off in a line with the tank.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Then it would be quite possible to kill off a full squad of kitted up nobs or so with a mere rhino... I'd say that's kinda unbalanced tbh.

And anyway what would your reaction be at seeing a tank rumbling your way at full speed? i would get my ass out of the way tbh and not just run off in a line with the tank.
If you failed your morale check you've panicked and ran the wrong way :headbutt:

You could always allow Invulnerable or maybe even Armour saves...

·
Super Moderator
8,562 Posts
...If a unit failed their morale test, fell back, and that fall back distance was less than where the tank would end up, the unit was caught and crushed....
...what would your reaction be at seeing a tank rumbling your way at full speed? i would get my ass out of the way tbh and not just run off in a line with the tank.
Possibly resolvable with the addition of an initiative test to determine whether the unit is quick thinking enough to plot a safe escape route.

·
Super Moderator
8,562 Posts
All vehicles equipped with JotWW????:shok:

:nono:
I meant as well as other suggested rules.

(1) Make Leadership test to get out the way; if passed vehicle moves through normally, otherwise determine flee distance
(2) If unit can flee further than vehicle will travel they avoid being squished; otherwise determine flee direction
(3) Make initiative test for each model in unit to move in a sane and safe direction; if passed the model moves out the way if failed they take a wound.

Possible additions would be AP and/or number of wounds based on speed of vehicle.

also the various test to avoid could be modified by vehicle speed; a milk float after all is easier to dodge than a sports car.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Well tbh im ok with a tank shock causing x wounds (i would prefer it over its use as it is), but im very much not ok with the if they break their morale and get caught they are destroyed as was suggested :).

And vehicles dont have and init so you cant do a init test vs them, but i like the idea.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I dont think adding a squish rule is really necessary. Tank Shock is strong enough as-is.

However, i wouldn't mind the inclusion of more Deffrolla-esque wargear on non-ork codexes.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Well CSM used to have the Khornate Destroyer upgrade when you could dedicate vehicles to Chaos Gods.

·
Nectar of the Gods!
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Okay I agree with the possibility of the addition of some sort of upgrade, in each race's codex, to tanks that work like the ork deffrolla...

But I think that some of the people completely against the idea are just scared! This whole idea was brought up because of a game between my IG and Orks... and the pure frustration of me repeatedly tank shocking the same squad only to have them move out of the way or flee 4"... I wanted some SQUISH! BTW the Ork player in question is also scared of the idea...

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Push them off the field, or bunch them up and flamer them. Your army gets rather solid access to HFs, right?

·
visit roleplay threads!
2,259 Posts
I agree with the idea that there should be a way to kill things when tank shocking.

seems like we almost have some good ways to do it here...

there must be something thats fair.

i'm just going to put this out there. maybe the armor values can be used to go against the initiatives. Something like: if the unit getting tank shocked fails a morale test then they must take a second test taking the unit's initiative plus 2d6 and if its higher than the vehicles highest armor value then the unit does not get squished. this would help things like rhinos squishing less often because they are so common a vehicle, and bigger thigns like land raiders squishing more often as they are a bigger vehicle and would be hrader tog et out of the way of. still...the whole unit dieing instantly could be a big argument starter and seem really unfair as mentioned. so yeah maybe give the unit its regular armor saves still, just count as many hits made as there are models in the unit perhaps.

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
You're trying to make a rule which makes sense in a fluffy kind of way but tying that to AV is totally irrelevant. Getting hit by a Rhino doing 60 will squash you wheras a Monolith slowly bobbing up to you and gently nudging you wont make you explode in a shower of bits.

Maybe 2D6 + I, if it's greater than or equal to the vehicles movement then you avoid it maybe.

Aramoro

·
Super Moderator
8,562 Posts
Getting hit by a Rhino doing 60 will squash you wheras a Monolith slowly bobbing up to you and gently nudging you wont make you explode in a shower of bits.

Maybe 2D6 + I, if it's greater than or equal to the vehicles movement then you avoid it maybe.
I agree; speed is the relevant factor.

Rather than an all or nothing splat the unit takes a number of wounds equal to the amount by which it failed the 2D6 + I roll.

As fluff Terminators can survive being trodden on by a titan, I suggest armour saves are permitted.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts