Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it has been revealed that the Tau Codex will be a different format than all the others. Well, sort of.

No current existing Tau unit is changing. Period.

This includes (I assume) wargear, weapon profiles, etc. You can continue playing with all of the stuff you already had with the existing codex, and be perfectly fine.

If you want to play with the newest stuff, you can either get the new codex, OR grab the War Zone Damocles: Kauyon book. it will have in it ALL of the 7E upgrades... so the new units, the extra rules, formations, the Hunter Contingent (Tau 'Decurion'), etc.

So you can go 7E Codex, Or you can go 6E Codex + Kauyon. Either one will give you everything you need. I believe this is literally the first codex and release where no changes at all are happening to the old army, just a huge addition of new models and units.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Not actually a big surprise. Tau units were pretty well adjusted to 7th edition standards, they just needed some polishing and really big stupid armor suits with D weapons. So, don't bother adjusting what already works, mostly, and it even allows Farsight to be left alone.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
If they didn't release the campaign book with all the updated rules at the same time this really wouldn't be anything of note. As it stands, the only way I see people not buying the new Codex is if the campaign book is less expensive.

Really hoping this isn't the new way it's gonna be.
I doubt it. Tau were a solid army already so instead of updating something that worked they got a bunch of (pretty sweet) new units, a few pages of Formations, and a new Detachment. Still looks like a win for Tau players from the outside looking in.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There's a few things to be seen based on this decision.

1. Since old Datasheets won't be changing, that means that literally, wording has to be the same. So for instance, this may be the one time that the supplements don't cause an issue; FSE will have to be allowed, because Crisis Suits can't change, Farsight can't change, etc etc.

2. The new FW kit makes 'Breachers' and 'Strikers'. Strikers = Fire Warriors. How does that work? Can they be called both? Will they be replaced in the new book, even though it's an existing unit?

3. If the Ethereal doesn't get a rewrite, then just like that there's going to be massive shitstorms because of the Storm of Fire rule and the dozens of new pulse weapons.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts