Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched, there was no ruling.
How the FUCK do these two interact with each other?

One says 3d6, add.
One says 3d6, remove the highest.

Me and my brother decided that just doing 2d6 is probably the most sensible way to do it, but there really is no clear way to figure it out, as the rules don't have a direct confliction.

If you go by pure RAW, you roll 3d6, any double ones or sixes result in a perils, and then you remove the highest.
But that's stupid.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
If you go by pure RAW, you roll 3d6, any double ones or sixes result in a perils, and then you remove the highest.
They do not conflict with each other by RAW so you are correct how they interact with each other:

1-Roll 3D6 for psychic test (both rules)
2-Any double ones or double sixes result in PotW (Shadow in the warp)
3-Remove the highest die for purposes of passing the test (Runes of Witnessing)

Personally, I don't believe we need an FAQ for it this time.

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They do not conflict with each other by RAW so you are correct how they interact with each other:

1-Roll 3D6 for psychic test (both rules)
2-Any double ones or double sixes result in PotW (Shadow in the warp)
3-Remove the highest die for purposes of passing the test (Runes of Witnessing)

Personally, I don't believe we need an FAQ for it this time.
:<
That's just so useless, they ignore most Perils anyway.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Well it more than doubles the chance for them to take perils because its any double 1s or 6s on 3 dice instead of an eldar player only rolling double 1s (or triple 6s...happens...). Shadow in the warp still does its job.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
ELDAR FAQ, Pg 1. "The Runes neutralise the effect of shadow in the warp for the Farseer, so the farseer will take psychic tests with 2d6, as normal."

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Nice Creon, except that FAQ was for a different edition of shadow in the warp, even if the current Eldar FAQ. I don't believe it is still applicable, maybe at the end of the FAQ it reflects different editions or their policy concerning this. I don't have the time to check at the moment.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
It's the current FAQ, and Shadow in the Warp is in the FAQ. I don't see any evidence it's not still applicable.

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
Creon is correct on this, Shadow in the Warp is explicitly mentioned in the Eldar FAQ.

Imagine if you will you're a new player, with no knowledge of past events. You Read Shadow in the Warp, you read Runes of Witnessing, you read the Eldar FAQ.

You roll 2D6 for your Psychic tests.

Aramoro

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Creon is correct on this, Shadow in the Warp is explicitly mentioned in the Eldar FAQ.

Imagine if you will you're a new player, with no knowledge of past events. You Read Shadow in the Warp, you read Runes of Witnessing, you read the Eldar FAQ.

You roll 2D6 for your Psychic tests.

Aramoro
While I'd be happy to accept that as the ruling, that piece is DEFINITELY referring to the 4th ed Shadow in the Warp.
Note 'Hive Tyrant with', in 4th ed, only Tyrants could take it, and it had a different effect.
That ruling is a sensible one anyway, and it would be fine to accept it (despite being outdated, the ruling is quite balanced); however, you must take note that technically the question and answer are both wrong, and should be discarded because of that.

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
While I'd be happy to accept that as the ruling, that piece is DEFINITELY referring to the 4th ed Shadow in the Warp.
Note 'Hive Tyrant with', in 4th ed, only Tyrants could take it, and it had a different effect.
That ruling is a sensible one anyway, and it would be fine to accept it (despite being outdated, the ruling is quite balanced); however, you must take note that technically the question and answer are both wrong, and should be discarded because of that.
How could I possibly know that?

Not the same power as it was in 4th ed, that's the point.
I was referring to the fact the Shadow in the Warp is the same power on a Hive Tyrant as it is on everyone else. Not that it is the same between editions.

Aramoro

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
Well if you were familiar with the 5th ed Nid codex you would have worked it out, but I guess you weren't; no harm done though :p
I am familiar with it, forkbanger is a regular Nid player. But the FAQ entry mentions nothing about the mechanics of the rule, only that both rules cancel out and do nothing. I don't need to know why they cancel out only that they do.

Like I know that SitW doesn't work on Psykers in Transports, that makes absolutely no sense, but that's how it works.

Aramoro

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am familiar with it, forkbanger is a regular Nid player. But the FAQ entry mentions nothing about the mechanics of the rule, only that both rules cancel out and do nothing. I don't need to know why they cancel out only that they do.

Like I know that SitW doesn't work on Psykers in Transports, that makes absolutely no sense, but that's how it works.

Aramoro
Aah ok.
Well, it's the mention of specifically a Hive Tyrant.
Also, it's been the same way since 4th ed Nids, I just remember that it hasn't been changed.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts