Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hmm, not sure on this.

Clicky

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I heard something somewhere about a second mag but honestly I was expecting a bi monthly mag and not white dwarf going weekly, interesting

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
OK, well I'm not convinced it will happen so quickly. If it was, all the subscribers would know about it already and we would have heard this rumour some time ago. However that doesn't mean its not going to happen, I just think a large pinch of salt is needed for this one, especially on the short notice.

·
8,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Existing and new subscribers was my first thought.

I mean, as much as we rag on them I feel that would be just too much of a dick move on GW's part.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Id prefere white dwarf like this if its the same price as a paint pot. As long as they don't make a dick move by only including the latest news and stories such as a look at the new armies in that Visions magazine and exclude them from the weekly one.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Seems unlikely. They don't have a ton of advertisements to offset the cost of printing a magazine large scale.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
A smaller weekly edition might lack the substance and content full month issues have. I'd like to see it stay the way it is but then again I've never bothered to buy the damn thing before (probably will change that when they release the Imperial Guard issue haha)

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
At the moment the trouble is they are filling half the mag with bollocks around the new releases. The Warriors box set was shown over two doublespread pages. Maybe if they had only two dozen pages to get your attention, the releases would be back to being crammed onto a single double spread and they could actually do decent, compact articles rather than padding to fill a full months worth...

·
Registered
409 Posts
Oddly for me (and this is a familiar concept....) if this is true, I would consider buying it on a regular basis. I'm often massively out of the loop for months with all stuff GW so this may actually be an incentive to keep me abreast (titter) of all the goings on.

·
8,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You said abreast..... :giggle:

I'd probably buy the odd one if something really grabbed my attention. But it most definitely wouldn't be a regular purchase.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Sooo instead of $10 for a month it would be $12 a month, without tax.
Instead of 150ish pages it'll be about 112 (28 per mag), note including all the picture/waste pages.
And instead of about a week worth of bathroom material it's about 4 days.

Wellll....if true I'm no longer buying white dwarf.

EDIT: I imagine if they still had subscription they would raise the price, that's a lot of mail going out.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Shame. This new weekly format will probably end up as a catalogue of new releases with a battle report and some shit article rambling on about random, irrelevant issues. And as others have said, less for more money and still no actual hobby info like the old days!!

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
You said abreast..... :giggle:
and titter:wink:

and still no actual hobby info like the old days!!
I was waiting for someone to mention the old days,
the days when you could use your dreadnought as a murder weapon and I think I may have forgotten the point again......................

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I don't know as i kinda like the idea of a new evolution of the magazine. I'll judge it when i see the new stuff.:crazy:

·
Mr Fantastic
231 Posts
OK, well I'm not convinced it will happen so quickly. If it was, all the subscribers would know about it already and we would have heard this rumour some time ago.
This is the first I've heard about this and I have subscribed for longer than I can remember (or care to admit!)

·
Registered
443 Posts
White Dwarf magazine is irrelevant to me. I started playing quite recently and after looking over few issues in GW store found them completely useless. They have less material than a decent website like BoLS would cover. Its simply used to showcase new releases with a random batrep and some painting tut.

White Dwarf should expend into general mini wargaming rather then GW exclusive ad service. Or include more interesting material like more useful tutorials, or even just release updates for those underpowered units in each codex kinda like a FAQ, man the sales would def jump by a lot!

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
White Dwarf should expend into general mini wargaming rather then GW exclusive ad service. Or include more interesting material like more useful tutorials, or even just release updates for those underpowered units in each codex kinda like a FAQ, man the sales would def jump by a lot!
It used to be like that about 10 years, back then it was quite common to have page (or several :shok:) without a picture on it! Shocking I know. I was quite happy to have a subscription back then, I could spend days if not weeks pouring over each issue. I took out a sub when they "revamped" it. Barely think I even spent an hour reading the last issue. I didn't resubscribe.

·
I am Alpharius.
8,375 Posts
Originally Posted by Games Workshop: Helsinki
Stop press, we have a new format of White Dwarf incoming!

Starting February 1st. White Dwarf will appear weekly. Within it's 32 pages you'll find everything you need to know about all the week’s other new releases and latest hobby news.

You’ll also find new features, new modelling and painting techniques, new rules, new columnists and much more. All of this will be available, for the price of a paint pot!

Alongside the the new White Dwarf, we'll have a brand new magazine; Warhammer: Visions. Warhammer: Visions contains all your favourite sections from the old monthly White Dwarf – from Army of the Month and Blanchitsu, to Kit Bash and Paint Splatter. This 232 page tome will be available on the first Saturday of every month, for only 9€!

For those of you with subcriptions to the old White Dwarf, fear not, you will still be able to use them monthly. We'll have more information on the subscriptions for you on Thursday, so check back with us to find out how the new system will work.

·
Fantasy Rumors
962 Posts
Some more rumors for you to sink your teeth in

Tvia Mr. Mystery over on the Bols Lounge
Confirmed in store.

Seems they have the scoop, with web announcement to follow at some point.

To sum up what I've been told so far (I stop short of saying what I know, as although I have no reason to doubt my local store staff, bits may be misconstrued).

WD is going weekly, as are releases. Kicks off 1st February 2014. This magazine will focus on the releases.

Warhammer Visions is the new monthly mag. 100 additional pages, and hobby article based, set to include stuff like Blanchitsu, Standard Bearer, Reader's Armies, Paintsplatter, 'Eavy Metal et al. Seems this will be largely internal advertising free.

Rules content? Who knows. Given their push to rapidly release stuff, quite possibly not. After all, why charge £7.50 for rules in a mag which will be around for a month, when you can charge £20/£30 for a hardback book which is permanently available.

A reader on feait posted this
For what it's worth, my local GW shop just posted this on it's facebook page:

As many of you know BIG things are coming to white Dwarf. So what does that mean for you?

An all new weekly edition of White Dwarf will now be available in stores featuring that week's new releases s well as painting techniques, rules and more.

In addition the monthly White Dwarf is expanding to over 230 pages, with your favorite columns from before like Blanchitsu, Kit Bash and Paint Splatter, but will also now contain over 70 pages of Golden Daemon entries, Armies on Parade photos and more!

But that's not all, with the White Dwarf available now every Saturday you can look forward to new releases nearly every week!

Stay tuned for more information.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts